Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Laplink PCmover - PC Migration Utility
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on September 9, 2011
I ordered this product to move files and programs from my Windows XP laptop to my new Windows 7 (starter) netbook. Reading some of the reviews made me a bit skeptical, but there are not a lot of options (that I know of) that will move programs as well as files. Following the directions, this program transferred everything that I selected. It took about 10 hours using a USB cable that came in the box, but it worked without interruption overnight. Just leave both machines plugged in and not on battery power, and follow the instructions as to how to load the software and when to attach the cable. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because of the amount of time it took to transfer, but there was a lot of stuff to move also.
on May 11, 2009
I got this to switch data from my old computer with XP to my new computer with vista, it not only did not load on ether computer correctly or not at all it missed up some files on the new computer that I had to spent two hours to fix. All I ended up with was a double ended male USB cable, that I will probably never use. Since once you open the box you can't take software back. The box also stated that if you had bought a new computer that there would be a 20 dollar rebate, I tried,the site dose not appear to be working. I ended up using a cruzer (jump, or flash drive) to copy the stuff I wanted to the new computer. Don't wast you money like I did.
on October 10, 2009
I have to say I found this to be a very useful tool in migrating data, programs, and settings from a old computer to a new one. It's not perfect - you will need to do some fiddling, and DO NOT update the software on one computer unless you can do it on the other as well - but it did the job. It's not fast - mine took about 8 hours - but it did the trick going from XP to Vista. I know I've read a number of reviews here and elsewhere where people really dumped on this program, but I found it to do most of the work I needed it to.
on June 16, 2012
I bought the digital download version of this off of Laplink's website. The program itself works, in the sense that it move files, settings and programs, but it has problems: It's slow, and it has made many programs unusable.

I tried to transfer from a Windows 7 laptop to a new Windows 7 Desktop three times (it mostly worked the last time.) The first time, I tried moving files over LAN, but a cable fell out mid transfer (my fault, but I had to cancel the transfer, I should be able to continue it.) I then tried to make a backup onto an external drive, but a file was corrupted in the backup, and only half the files would move over to the new PC. Lastly, I tried the LAN option again, and it "worked" that time.

Here is where the first problem comes into play: I have, in the past, imaged my laptop's hard drive (as a backup) over LAN to a networked hard drive. That backup process takes about 12 hours (about 500 GB of stuff to back up.) PCMover took 24 hours to backup onto the external drive (my second try,) and on the third try, 36 HOURS to transfer over LAN! I mean, I know that using any software when moving files may add another barrier that can slow down transfer speeds, but a full day and a half? I'm moving from a gaming laptop to a gaming PC! We're talking about moving between a laptop with an i5 processor, 8GB of RAM and above-average speed hard drive, to a brand new PC with an 8 TREAD i7 with 8GB of RAM and a SATA 3 enabled hard drive, through a gigabit connection! There is no reason moving 400GB of data should take 3 times as long as imaging 500GB through the same cables!

As for the problems with the PC after the transfer: There were many problems, probably because I wasn't upgrading from an older OS (XP/Vista) to W7. The first big problem: Microsoft's .NET Framework stopped working. I couldn't uninstall it, because it's part of Windows 7 natively, I couldn't reinstall over it, because it found a corrupted database that can't be fixed, and I couldn't repair install the OS successfully to fix the problem (what can I say? It just doesn't work.) Because of this, a few programs couldn't start their services, and wouldn't work.
Another problem: a lot of the programs I moved didn't work. Some of them were ASUS programs (my laptop brand) that worked with components that weren't installed (the PC being custom built,) but they couldn't be uninstalled normally. A lot of programs had problems starting, and those particular programs had somehow lost their uninstall files, along with several critical files.

I had a problem with a sort of cascading program corruption: I can't play GTA 4 until I update the Gamefly program (where I bought it,) but I can't update that without Adobe AIR, but I can't update that because some part of the adobe updater is corrupted. I had to use a Microsoft Fixit app to uninstall those, and reinstall them. I had to reinstall every Adobe product I had, and a lot of Microsoft programs. I did get the computer to work, but I got fed up with the programs that didn't and I'm starting over (without PCMover.)

If you want to save money, do this: Think about the programs you want. I guarantee that many of them can be batch installed using a custom installer from [...] (in my case, more than 30 programs! That cut down on my setup time by about 3-4 hours.)

Get the programs you want from ninite, and install whatever you're missing (in my case, just CCleaner, Rocketdock, Kindle for PC, Sony Vegas, recording software, Microsoft Office, and my steam games, of which the games I can copy over via LAN.) After that, use windows easy transfer to move documents and settings (and in the case of steam, your saved games.) I guarantee you can reinstall all you programs, and move your settings using Windows easy transfer faster than PC mover can move it all, and without the problems. I'm guessing my problems stem from me NOT upgrading my operating system. Usually, when I find that a problem with an item is caused by incompatibility on my end, I give the item a break. But in this case, I think Laplink should have anticipated migration across identical operating systems, and ensured that moving system settings wouldn't mess with the new computer.
on November 18, 2009
Bought this to move data for my mother in law from an old NT machine to a new Windows 7 machine. Not only did the software NOT load it locked up both systems. Tech support, and I use that term very loosely, from Laplink was a joke. The person did not know that there is a OS named NT, not a good sign. Try to move your data with memory sticks, or with another program, but did not use this one.
on October 15, 2012
The PCMover program is nothing but trouble. I wasted a Saturday trying to make it work, and gave up. The validation and key management process is problematic enough that I could not even get the program to run properly on my old XP machine. I bought a serial number license on-line, but when I put it into the program it told me: "serial number disallowed".

I tried their customer service, but it is 24 hour turnaround, so don't be in a hurry if you have any trouble.

In the end, I gave up on PCMover and used the "Windows Easy Transfer" program that is built into Win7. Easy Transfer worked perfectly. I realize that "Easy Transfer" does not transfer applications (as PCmover claims to do), only the application data and files. But on the other hand, PCMover didn't move any applications either. Or data. Or in fact, move anything at all.

The only reason they get two stars is because when I asked for a refund, they said they would give me one. I have to wait for a week though.