Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New album by NERD STEM Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 12, 2017
MaDiTa will be my favorite lioness ever! One could not script such a story. The bonus features were fun to watch. They are brave people to be around these big animals!! This one is a keeper!!
on August 5, 2017
Ma di tau the lioness lost her mate and her two cubs just like simba lost mufasa in his story lion king because scarface bull buffalo she must join forces with sliver eye and the rest of pride to bring to it's knees with little help of male lion cub who is alive after bull buffalo is defeat with sliver eye and the pride use teeth and claws will ma di tau's cub grow a mane to find pride of his own
on January 12, 2012
I didn't think I would ever see a nature video equal to the Joubert's groundbreaking "Lions and Hyenas- Eternal Enemies". "The Last Lions" has proved me wrong! What an unbelievable movie!!
The cinematography is superb. Over and over again, we are treated to beautifully framed nature shots. The cloud cover alone is breathtaking. Wide angle distant views (including aerial shots) would make any set designer envious. Top talent all around including "lighting by God"! This is true art at its best.
The storytelling may be the most compelling draw. The best scriptwriters in Hollywood could not have done better. Your emotions will go to all extremes-you will rejoice, you will feel sadness, and you will cheer for certain players- but never because of misleading copy or cheesy special effects. The words ring true throughout. The film editors do use occasional effects- The sepia filter is beyond gorgeous! Even here, it is not used as a gimmick for it never detracts from the stunning real life visuals. (Lions look great in Sepia- especially HD)
The last 15 minutes are beyond belief! This is the story of one lion in particular- "The Mother of Lions". Her journey through life, and how she rises to power (despite great loss) is the stuff of legends. WOW!
The narration by Jeremy Lyons is, once again, perfect.
The musical score is excellent, and perfectly supports the triumph and tragedy of each scene. Near the end, the use of a single woman's vocals will give you chill bumps. You may well cry- the scene plays out with joy at first, then chilling remorse and a deep heart-felt sorrow.
I have not seen an ending to a movie that blew me away like this since "The Sixth Sense". (No- lions don't see dead people- just dead water buffalo!)
It just couldn't get any better than this- and then it does! The Joubert's have devoted their lives to the study and filming of big cats, but The King of the Beasts is in trouble. The statistics are frightening- the lion population in Africa has dropped by over 90% in 50 years. This film is not just to entertain- it is a tool to encourage us to do everything we can to preserve these "Last Lions" Through this movie, this masterpiece, you will will develop a deeper love for these amazing creatures, and then hopefully you will cherish and protect what you love. Please visit "Make a Roar .com" and help the Jouberts in this worthy cause.
on January 9, 2012
I had the good fortune to see this documentary during its too short run on the big screen. It's one of the very best and memorable (heartbreaking at times) depictions of lions I've ever seen (and I own virtually every documentary on lions ever made). I've also been privileged to personally visit the location of this film, Duba Plains, and watch these extraordinary lions hunt buffalo. This film haunted me for weeks afterwards and is so much better than the happy-go-lucky approach of Disneynature's African Cats. I'm very pleased to now own the DVD of The Last Lions.

Since last January, National Geographic has donated 10 cents every time the official trailer for this film is watched on YouTube (up to a million views; $100,000). In a year, less than 350,000 have viewed the trailer so only a third of the possible money has been designated. In a day when silly videos go viral and quickly get millions of views, it is tragic and an indictment on the human race that so few people care enough to save these magnificent creatures to spend a couple of minutes watching the trailer. Do your part and watch it at least once daily until the goal of one million views is reached - [...]
on June 23, 2015
I have watched this Documentary 9 times now! With someone different each time... I just LOVE Jeremy Irons, who Narrates this & I think it's his BEST! Someone told me he was nominated for an award for this? But the quality of the narration is superior, the way he tells this story is so so powerful! I found myself feeling all 4 emotions throughout watching this. My ONLY complaint... Is that I wish it was LONGER or had a sequel to it :-) because he has you hanging on ever word. The Cinematography is incredible & if you enjoy Lion stories/Documentaries, then you will love this one! Great educational tool too.
on May 20, 2014
I saw this during Big Cat week on Nat Geo Wild and was I ever so glad I did. This riveting tale follows a lioness and her three cubs after they have been ousted from a pride. I do not want to say much more than that as it would ruin the wonderful surprise that is this documentary. I will say, that as I was watching it I was increasingly engrossed in it, as if it were a human drama unfolding on screen. This is a must see for all people who enjoy nature and wildlife documentaries.
on December 22, 2012
If you love wildlife, and lions in particular, this is a must-see. The Jouberts, who are Explorers-in-Residence for National Geographic, have produced a documentary that focuses on the plight of lions in the wild while delivering their message with a piercingly beautiful story and stunning cinematography. I admit to a tear towards the end, when the story takes an unexpected and dramatic turn. Jeremy Irons narrates the film, and since I need to use closed captions because of my hearing loss, I could not hear a lot of the narration clearly. One friend (out of 6) who borrowed my DVD found Irons' narration a bit of a monotone.

I will also say this --- thanks to this important documentary, which moved me greatly, I am now supporting the Big Cat Initiative. I sent Dereck Joubert a friend request on Facebook which he accepted - wow! I just wanted to personally thank him and Beverly for all the wonderful work they have done over the last 30 years they have lived with the lions in Botwsana.
on October 15, 2012
This film has been a turning point in my life. I have sent DVDs to many of my friends and will continue to promote this message of the ultimate proof of love, and the undeniable intelligence and resourcefulness of Ma di Tau. The way in which she adapts to loss by digging deep and moving on is courageous and a key element to survival. Looking at the film from the buffalo's perspective also made me twitch for them. They, too, are demonstrative of great bravery and physical endurance. The combination of the theme and quality of the film, coupled with JI's exquisite talent to narrate culminated in the perfect equation to a perfect product. I will do whatever I can, whenever I can to promote the Big Cats Initiative via `causeanuproar.com'
on April 28, 2012
Although the trailer was what attracted me to this film, I was a little skeptical that the whole film could be so spectacular. We were pleasantly surprised. The story line was interesting enough to keep our attention the whole time. I am impressed with how well the story was put together.

However, I was a little disappointed in viewing the deleted scenes and discovering that the story had actually been significantly altered while still being presented as "true". I was also disappointed in the beginning how obvious it was that different shots from completely different days were all combined as if it happened in a couple hours. You are left wondering just how much of the story is accurate.

Still, the filming and narrating combined gave a powerful and moving story. I would recommend this.
on April 25, 2017
While it is part of nature some scenes at the end should have been left out because it ruins the entire mood of the evening after seeing those scenes.