Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 66 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 162 reviews
on June 25, 2013
The thing about this book is that once the main make character "made" it in the music field why didn't his wife quit her two jobs & join him? I found that hard to believe. I mean the whole book was about him making it in the music world. She loved his music & worked so much just so he could focus on his music.... Why did she seem disinterested after he made it? Why didn't she want to enjoy what they had built? It was just silly & I found it difficult to believe. However, I liked the ending. That seemed real to me.
on June 20, 2012
Lauren Weisberger has been writing the same kind of story over and over.
This book reaches the same demographic as her other novels.

It's good to pass time, but it doesn't add that much.
Plus****Spoiler alert***, the end sucks and leave a lot of question unanswered.
on November 6, 2011
I give this book three stars because it absolutely is a page turner. I think I was through the first 100 pages after a 4-hour flight and couldn't wait to see what would happen next. I have read all three of Weisberer's other books, enjoyed all of them, and was excited to begin her newest release. Her books are entertaining chick lit, like Bravo in a book. However, like others have said, I found myself disappointed with Brooke, the main character, and unable to sympathize or relate to her. By the end of the book, I was angry with the character and felt like she hadn't learned anything from her experiences.

Spoiler below:

As others have said, it isn't evident (or at least I can't agree with) why Brooke feels like she can't temporarily put her career on hold now that everything that she and Julian had worked so hard for has come to fruition. I found myself growing increasingly aggravated as she insisted that she couldn't travel with him. But, mostly, no woman that I know who prioritizes her career and independence as much as Brooke would ever stay with a man who cheated on them (especially when there are no kids involved). All it took was a sappy speech at a wedding to forgive him??? Please! I found myself completely unable to relate to Brooke, unsympathetic to her situation, and most of all, unable to find consistency in her attitude as an independent career woman.
on April 16, 2013
if there is one word to describe this book, it would be stagnate. like a pond with blue green algae. for a plot where everything's all going at once and new developments are occurring all the time I really didn't feel a connection to the characters, that there was a climax, a beginning, an end. I feel that a lot of this subconsciously comes from the issues that are brought up from between the married couple never get fleshed out of talked about or resolved properly by the characters and are allowed to brew and fester beneath the surface. I think I can point out the climax, but it wasn't really that climatic.
a bit disappointing, as generally with these stories the characters learn something and the reader learns something. but I didn't feel like that happened
on January 14, 2011
I read and liked The Devil Wears Prada and then as soon as Everyone Worth Knowing came out, I read it and was disappointed, so I'm not sure what prompted me to read Last Night at Chateau Marmont--other than the fact that I wanted something light to read during the hectic Holiday season. I really am surprised I liked this book as much as I did; the story line is quite simple and light, perhaps even too Chick Lit-y at times, but for what it was, it was still an enjoyable read. Even weeks later, I'm still wondering how things turned out for Brooke and Julian.

Julian Alter is a singer/songwriter with a passion for his art, his wife Brooke has always supported and loved him, even working two jobs while he gets a gig here and there. Julian is finally "discovered" at one such gig and so begins the roller-coaster ride. One minute he's in a smokey club, singing his heart out to his wife, and the next minute he's picked up by Sony and given a lucrative record deal. The problem is that neither Julian nor his wife are equipped to deal with sudden fame. So, of course both of them struggle with it, each very much on their own and in very different ways. As the reader, I felt like I was watching a movie--I was removed from these characters' lives, but I still liked them and hoped for the best. I prefer more serious fiction and I love books by Chris Bohjalian and Jodi Picoult, but if you're in the mood for a take-on-vacation/fluff read, this one will more than fit the bill.
on May 18, 2011
The idea behind the story (my husband becomes a famous rock star) was brilliant, but the execution was awful. The characters are really unlikeable and "Rook" and Julian weren't characters I would wish a happy ending to. They were both portrayed as these pathetic and weak people that won't stand up for themselves. The story dragged on and on and I was waiting (in vain) for something exciting to happen. The only time the story caught my interest was when the hotel scene happened, and then (like the rest of the book) it just faded into nothingness... Come on Lauren - i expected way more from you!!
on May 6, 2015
Lauren Weisberger has a distinctive writing style. She delves beyond the surface of relationships...but her characters always seem too rash in my opinion and Brooke and Julian were no different. It was very much "The Devil Wears Prada" but with a different industry and the focus on the couple. I enjoyed reading it and it was a good BTS look at the music industry and the paparrazzi-laden world we live in.
on June 11, 2017
Prepare to lose yourself in a wonderful story with the detail and glitz that only LW can pull off with such panache. Cornellians everywhere will also love her special references. Brava!
on May 3, 2011
There is a good reason the last chapter is titled "The Pity Dance." Oh, the misery of being married to a sweet, goodlooking guy with tons of money who also happens to make it to the big time to become a rock star. Brooke Alter is one of the most unlikable characters I've read about lately. Most of the book is spent on her misery, complaints, suspicions, feeling other people's pity towards her(see above chapter title) and her pain. I enjoyed the start-up, but after getting furthur into the book I began to wonder if anything would make her happy. Then I realized- no, nothing short of getting her own way. And what do you know. She did. Poor Julian. He never had a chance.
on October 3, 2010
This book was a tough read. I found it really hard to completly relate to Brooke because all too often she came across as a whiner. I guess I was also going into this book looking for a different perspective on the whole fame experience but it wound up being the same old story we've all been used to.