Salon Beauty Best Books of the Month Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon theaffairS4 theaffairS4 theaffairS4  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on January 29, 2014
Awesome! I'm not really fully satisfied with the series ending, since I was left wondering what the heck happens to everyone, but it was a great addition to the series, and a great end to the main storyline. I loved it. Let me put it simply: If you like YA books, appreciate a good sense of humor, and have even the slightest interest in Greek Mythology, this series is one that you MUST read, if you haven't done so yet. They are not only greatly entertaining, but are based on the actual Greek myths, meaning they can teach you some things you may not know as well. As for the conclusion, while I might not be thrilled with how it was left largely up in the air, I also am quite happy to say that this is one of the relatively few book series that did not miss a step right through to the end, with the same level of humor and enjoyment to be found in this book as was found in the book that introduced me to the series. So, please, if you fall in the group mentioned above, do yourself a favor and check it out.
6 people found this helpful
on March 18, 2018
I really loved all the Percy Jackson series. It was wonderful to see how all the parts connected in the end, no lose ends. I love that these books don't leave anything open to interpretation and explain the story very well. I really enjoyed all the adventure, it was great! The characters are also very easy to empathize with, I already miss Percy and Annabeth.

The one thing that left me a bit disappointed about this book in particular is that with it being the last one in the series revolving around the first great prophecy, and Percy finally having to play his very important part, I expected more conflict on him. Percy is under a lot of pressure and tension, I think it would have been more realistic, and more pleasing therefore, to see more conflict go on within him, to see him struggle a bit more to make the right decisions and therefore see some growth in his own personality, to go deeper and give more meaning to the "yealding" Hestia talks about. In short: I think we didn't see Percy really "yealding". It seems that everything was a bit too easy for him when it came to making decisions. That felt too unreal. I feel that the whole topic of yielding, maturing, being generous and really having to struggle to get there, which is what most have to go through, wasn't represented in a realistic manner. It was too simplistic.

On a final note, as much as I have found this new take on mythological stories fun and entertaining, I'm not sure I'll read the other books in The Heroes of Olympus and The Trials of Apollo series. It gets boring if you only read about the same thing. It would be great if the author wrote about other things besides mythology, and offered us new adventures to read without having anything to do with mythology.
on April 3, 2015
I don't mean that in a bad way (just as long as you have read the previous books). I suggest this book to any age. Those who prefer nonfiction may not like this, but you never know. What I found different about this book next to the other books is that it was sadder and more violent. But despite that sadness and violence I absolutely LOVED THIS BOOK. I really suggest that if you liked the previous books by Rick riodan than you will certainly like this one even more. As for the hero's of Olympus (the series after this one series) I also suggest you read. This series is even better than the first. I have read all of them. As I said before I LOVED THESE BOOKS. I hope you love these books too.
Peace out, DAVID
on July 7, 2017
I love this entire series. I've read it several times through and just finished listening to the entire series on audio. I will admit that the narrator irked my nerves through the entire thing. Not enough to ruin the story or anything but ye gods he was annoying!
on March 13, 2017
I love the Percy Jackson series and these are the last ones I have to read. They are brilliant and fantastic for children from 7-70! I highly recommend everyone read these and learn a little about greek and roman mythology.
Package came super quick and the books are in perfect condition
on October 31, 2012
Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian is the final instalment in the great Percy Jackson series. I have enjoyed this series a great deal and will no doubt read the other Rick Riordan series. My feelings were that each book in the series was better than the one before, I suspect that this could be due to my growing familiarity with the characters. When I read, I try not to over-analyse it too much. My reasons for reading are not to dissect the book and look for faults, but rather to take it at face value and get into the story that's being told.

The crisis is at a climax. The final instalment of the series' overarching story, the survival of Olympus, is the focus of this book. By the time we get to this one there are loads of sub-plots which have been introduced in other books along the way. I found that in some parts it was a bit tricky to remember all of the sub-plot details. But, with a bit of brain power and memory jogging it wasn't really too hard to keep track of everything. Riordan did a great job of tidying up all of these storylines.

During the book before this one I had formed some definite opinions on who I couldn't trust, but as I'm no Sherlock Holmes, my mystery solving weakness showed up and some of them ended up being wrong. I had also formed an opinion of Nico in the previous book (I didn't like him - I don't really know why) and even with the outcome of his story, I still didn't like him. Most of the characters were great to get to know, they each had their own story which evolved and climaxed along the way. One thing though, I didn't really 'get' what Percy's mum's new friend Paul added to the story, or why he was even in there - maybe I missed something. I guess it's these sorts of personal reactions to books and their characters that make books so interesting. Each reader is free to form their own opinion and interpretation. In a nutshell, the main aim of books is to entertain and provide an escape from our daily lives, the PJ series was successful in enabling this to happen.

I would recommend the whole Percy Jackson series to readers who love adventure and action. It has some great humour threaded through it that makes it so relatable to our own modern world.
on July 22, 2011
A few friends of mine dragged me out to watch the movie Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief. I thought it was pretty horrible, but the idea intrigued me. So, after I got home, I picked up the novel. I have to say, the novels are much better than the movie!

As far as writing style goes: Rick Riordan isn't Faulkner, he's a pulp fiction, good old fashioned paperback writer. On the other hand, he is also positively ingenious with the way he interjects ancient myths into a modern story, and you can tell he really likes the material. The result is a really well-paced, action-packed story that is perfect for teens and young adults.

For adult-adults: It's good fun without a lot of thought. The kind of book I like to call "candy," you know the kind of mindless entertainment you reach for when you want to forget about your stressful life for a few hours. Moreover, it's the best kind of candy, because it's easy-to-read fluffy fun without being overly stupid or insipid. There are definitely moments when you'll know you're reading a book aimed at teenagers (particularly since it's written from a teen's point of view), but there's nothing that will make you want to hurl your kindle across the room in exasperation.

So, my conclusion? Read it! At the very least, it's entertaining.
One person found this helpful
on November 12, 2015
The gods and the titans are at war and Percy and Annnabeth have to make sure the Olympians win or the world as we know it will be destroyed. They get some help from Rachel who can see through the mist and also see the future. Demigods and the others fight what seems to be a losing battle against Kronos and his hordes.
It was an exciting page turner.
|0Comment|Report abuse
Percy Jackson is a lot like most kids -- he has a hard time at school, he misses his friends and he's torn between two different girls -- oh, and he's also the son of Poseidon, Greek god of the sea. Being a demigod, Percy has had a series of breathtaking adventures in the series' previous four instalments, and now it's time for the Big Battle.

While mortals think there's a violent storm system creeping across the Midwest, *we* know that it's really the gods battling Typhon, one of the Titans who has risen up to reclaim his place at the top of the god food chain. But if all the gods are battling Typhon, who's watching out for Olympus (based in the Empire State Building)?! It's Percy and his fellow demigods, youngsters who have experience and passion -- but will that be enough?

Written as a first person narrative, this exciting book teaches a lot about the classical gods without tasting like medicine. The action and humor are ever present, and the characters are a treat. While there is betrayal and adversity and violence, there is no gore or cruelty. I loved the whole series and was really happy with this finish, which offered a plausible solution to the series' loose threads and led to a satisfying conclusion for our heroes.

Well done and highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon May 11, 2009
At first I was bummed that The Last Olympian was going to be the final chapter of Percy Jackson and his demi-god friends.
Until...I read the Riordan's acknowledgements page of the book..."As the first Camp Half-Blood series draws to a close, I have so many people to thank."
That sentence from Rick Riordan seems to hint there will be more Camp Half-Blood adventures featuring more demi-gods coming to camp - hopefully Percy and friends will be part of them, but this gives me hope.

The last book of THIS series of books was a non-stop adventure between the kid demi-gods, the gods who are their parents, and the Tital army, moving towards NYC to go up the Empire State Bldg, where Mt. Olympus is hanging way up above it.

The conflicts from all the books, the mythological creatures featured, and the maturing of the characters we have come to love has been masterful. Riordan has done his mythological homework in this series - I am Greek and have studied mythology, and can speak and read Greek, and the wording of the Greek and translations were spot on.

With Percy Jackson, Riordan has brought all things good about the Olympians that the gods and goddesses have seemed to forget - integrity, honor, bravery.
The true reason the Titans got such a big army was from dissatisfied demi-gods who were mistreated and lesser gods who felt they had no sayso in the Pantheon.

It sometimes takes a child to point the way.
If Riordan isn't Greek, to me he's an honorary one!

I look forward to more Camp Half-Blood adventures - with new kids born of gods and goddesses with mortals. And those frisky gods, you know there will be plenty of them!

This series, and particularly this book in such detail integrates all the myths and gods and legends it is mind boggling. But such great fun! Riordon's imagination is stunning!

This is one series that is best read from book 1 on - and what fun that is.
Fantastic read and fantastic series!
One person found this helpful