Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 5)
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

Format: Hardcover|Change

on July 30, 2009
The Last Olympians was one of the best books i have ever read, the storyline was perfect I felt as if I was in the book but no one could see me or hear me but I could hear everything. At school I could not even put the book down. The way Rick Riordan wrote the book i felt as if I knew the charectars my whole life. The book also generated feeling I cried at the sad parts gasped at the surprising parts and laughed at the funny parts wherever the book's feeling went my feeling went with it. I loved the book so much I even wished I could be an amazing half-blood. I got this book for my birthday but I opened it before and the whole entire week I was itching to read it. I even told my friend to read it and she loves the series as much as I do. Personally I think Riordan should write another book. This was the biggest book of them all I never think I have ever read another interesting series. Rick Riordan makes sure everyone can relate to it and he thinks about the audience alot that is the most improtant thing an author can do. I have so much more to say but I can not. I hope you all enjoy the book!Thank you.
on May 6, 2009
I must admit, when I first picked up the lightning theif in preperations for my vacation last summer, it was with a thought that I might be able to use it as a excuse to not have to take driving shifts as we drove steadily eastward to yellowstone. My family knows that if I am really in a book, nothing can pull me away from it.

And so, as I desperately waited for my classes to get out, having bought The Last Olympian early that moment the doors opened at a local borders. I couldnt wait to start reading, having finished rereading book four during my lunch hour.

And I was not disappointed. Riordan has a wonderful sense of humor with a snarky edge to it. Though I usually do not enjoy books written in first person, because most authors dont get just how dangerous writing first person can be, Rick has shown a nack for choosing his words carefully, showing up a world in vivid detail, and emotional clarity. The Last Olympian is a wonderful ending to a series that had much promise, and never broke it.

To those who might be afraid I will spoil anything, I wont. I will only say this; Many twists and turns await you. In the final book of the Percy Jackson series, Rick Riordan has woven a tale, pulling all the threads together into a tapestry, with everything he had done before coming together in a epic, emotional ending... a ending that stirred my emotions in a way only one other writer, and concluding book had done, and that was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling.

While their story telling and writing styles are vastly different, what they share is a thirst for a good story, red herrings to throw you off, and a ending that you couldnt fully see coming, but cant help but be moved by in the end.

I am saddened that this story has drawn to a end, but all good stories must reach their conclusions, otherwise they stop being good.

But we can hope for Rick Riordan, for I have no doubt his gift from weaving a good story has not come to a close. I will continue to look forward to his future books.
44 comments| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon May 21, 2009
As a student of history with a love (and a minor!) in classics, and little kid at heart I loved this series of books, culminating in The Last Olympian--maybe the best in the series. The obvious comparison is to Harry Potter, but these books are really something different. They're a little lighter, and a little more fanciful, and just more 'colorful.' They are shorter and and just more fun with less dark overtones (imo.)

This last story brings about a conclusion to the whole saga, with one battle after another, answers all your question and even gives our heroes the accolades they richly deserve. It seems its the last one in the series and thats a little sad.
44 comments| 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 24, 2009
After reading this I miss the series so much. I want it to keep going. I love every single book. I can't wait until the movie comes out for the first book. It should be enjoyable. The whole series just has that essence of myths and Greek mythology that is amazingly put together. A lot of the adventures I read made me want to jump inside the book and join them in the battle! It's one of the best reads... I love it!
on June 9, 2009
Rick Riordan's series starring Percy Jackson and his demigod companions from Camp Half-Blood has brought Greek mythology vividly to life for a whole new generation of readers. Riordan manages to meld contemporary life with classical mythology, all the while imprinting his novels with clever humor and dynamic characters. The formula has worked perfectly; each book's popularity has grown, and millions of fans have been clamoring for the final volume ever since the publication of THE BATTLE OF THE LABYRINTH in 2008.

Now, with THE LAST OLYMPIAN, the wait is over. Fans of the series know that Riordan has been building suspense for the ultimate battle between the renegade Titans and the demigods of Camp Half-Blood. Over the course of four previous books, the Titans have grown stronger and gained support, but Percy himself --- as well as several of his friends --- has grown from a confused and awkward boy questioning his identity and heritage to a capable and courageous leader. In this final adventure, the two forces collide, and the result is spectacular indeed.

Throughout THE LAST OLYMPIAN, Percy is troubled by dreams and prophecies. Some are open to interpretation, but others seem to foresee certain doom for Percy and his forces. Summoning all his courage and uniting his forces proves tougher than Percy had anticipated, especially when some of the internal conflicts at Camp Half-Blood threaten to sabotage his plans (it's hard to win a war without the children of Ares cooperating with you!). The battlefield for this final conflict is, in true Riordan style, the streets of Manhattan, centering on Mount Olympus (known to us mortals as the Empire State Building).

As the casualties mount, loyalties are tested, sometimes strengthened and other times broken. Riordan manages to introduce some new characters and elements from Greek mythology (including Pandora's Box and the sleep-inducing god Morpheus) while simultaneously reaching back to Percy's very first adventure to bring back familiar friends and enemies. Even Percy's most essential relationships --- with the satyr Grover and love interest Annabeth Chase --- evolve and deepen over the course of this last novel. Percy's final adventure is the most sophisticated, serious and mature of his life, but the book never loses its sense of humor or fun: "The campers down at the volleyball pit had early '90s hairstyles, which were probably good for keeping monsters away."

Most readers will finish THE LAST OLYMPIAN exhilarated by the epic final battle and deeply satisfied by the way Riordan ties up his characters' professional, personal and romantic lives. For those who just can't get enough of Percy Jackson, however, the entire series is destined for immortality --- and even more fans --- once the first movie based on the novels hits theaters in 2010.

--- Reviewed by Norah Piehl
on May 8, 2009
How many times have we seen series start out well, but go out not with a bang but a whimper? Not this series! It started off with a bang and ends with a bang. The Last Olympian is bigger and better. Like J. K. Rowling, Riordan took a whole book to wrap up his series well. If you read the fourth book, The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 4), you know what happened to Kronos and what he wants--revenge and the destruction of Olympus. The final showdown is at hand. You will not be disappointed when it happens either. Riordan took his time to let it unfold, battle by battle.

Percy Jackson, your favorite wise-cracking hero, still has that prophecy hanging over his head as his sixteenth birthday approaches. Some people just have to worry about driver's ed. Percy has to worry about the end of the world. In The Last Olympian, Percy faces good, bad, and heartbreaking choices and learns more than he ever wanted to learn about Luke and especially about himself and his destiny. How he learns about Luke reminded me of somewhat of how Harry learned about Voldemort's past. But quicker than you can say Stygian, war is upon him and the other half-bloods. Can they defeat Kronos and his army?

If you're a fan of battles, you'll find plenty in this book and, as always, a plethora of monsters from Greek mythology. And there's Mrs. O'Leary. (Gotta love her.) And if you're keeping track of loose ends, you'll even find out the identity of the last Olympian and why that's important. Riordan always manages to walk the tightrope between humor and pathos. And what about Annabeth and Rachel? At least that saga is wrapped up satisfactorily. Some surprising and not so surprising heroes emerge as the prophecy is fulfilled. I'm sorry to see this series go, but I'm glad it ended well! This is definitely my favorite of the five.

Mr. Riordan, please don't let this be the last Olympian book we read!
on November 5, 2014
"The Last Olympian" is, I suppose, a fitting conclusion to the Percy Jackson series. It brings together all the memorable characters one last time; lets them take their turn in the spotlight; entertains a long time reader with a novel spanning battle of epic proportions; and then simply and neatly ties up the loose plot threads. So for all those reasons, it is a satisfying ending to one of the most well-known coming-of-age tales in recent memory.

Like all long time readers know, this novel begins with Percy Jackson dreading the inevitable battle with the Titan Lord Kronos, his fellow Titans and their numerous allies as well as the fulfillment of the Delphi’s ominous prophecy. Thankfully, Percy and his half-blood friends have been preparing for this for years though. So they should be able to respond to pretty much anything their enemy throws at them, right?

Wrong. Because this is Percy Jackson and the Olympians, and no planning is ever enough to keep the unexpected from happening. And so, while everyone at Camp Half-Blood knew their odds were going to be grim when the final face-off came about, none of them were expecting how strong Kronos’ army really was. Nor were they anticipating the coldly orchestrated manner in which the Lord of Time goes about dividing his enemies and setting them up for failure. (Something that you would think Athena, goddess of wisdom, or some other experienced demigod would have expected. But I digress.) And so, Percy and his fellow half-bloods find themselves in a familiar spot of trying to save themselves (and the world) from certain destruction with no clear idea of what exactly to do.

The story that is crafted out this chaotic, juvenile mess is a typical Percy Jackson tale that mixes re-imagined Greek mythology with seat-of-your-pants action, a bit of teenage angst, and a lot of daring-do by our young heroes. And while it doesn’t do anything different from the preceding four books, that isn’t a bad thing, because by this point you either like Percy or don’t. No need for Mr. Riordan to change paddles in midstream, so to speak.

But if I was forced to point out something I didn’t enjoy in this book, it would be Percy’s absolute “denseness”percy jackson cluelesss or “absent mindedness” or “clueless-ness” or whatever you want to call it. In The Lightning Thief, it made him endearing and completely relatable, because he was a young teen thrown into a situation which made no sense, and he kept floundering around, trying to figure what was going on. Even in the next three books, “seaweed brain” reacted fairly appropriately, giving that he was continually getting into unexpected situations. But now we are at the final battle. You know, the big confrontation he and all the half-bloods have been preparing for, and it just did not seem realistic, at all, to me that Percy would still be so “OMG, what is going on?”

With that diatribe by my middle-aged self out-of-the-way, I have to say I and my son enjoyed this novel. (My son more than me, but isn’t that the way it should be?) It gave us a huge, ongoing battle worthy of a clash between Kronos and the Greek gods, lots of Percy Jackson heroic denseness, and a resolution to the prophecy that we had been wondering about for so long. Plus seaweed brain finally understood girls. Well, he thinks he does, but all us middle aged men know something that Percy hasn’t understood yet -- "Women are made to be loved, not understood."
on April 14, 2016
Percy Jackson is by far one of my favorite literary characters of all time. And, no disrespect intended to anyone out there, but in a one on one fight I think Percy would probably beat Harry Potter in a fight. I love both characters don't get me wrong, I'm just saying that it would be a lot of fun to watch.

This book was a great way to end the Percy Jackson and the Olympians book series and a good book to introduce The Heroes of Olympus series. I will try and review the book without giving any spoilers.

The series finally comes to an end with the battle we have been waiting for. The demigods of Camp Half-Blood against the forces of Kronos. While the Gods are off fighting another foe perhaps even more terrifying than Kronos that leaves Percy Jackson and the other campers against...EVERYTHING ELSE!

Percy receives a special 'blessing' through a dangerous and unconventional place that he needs in order to defeat Kronos and manages to turn old enemies into new allies.

One thing I really enjoyed (Potential tiny spoiler here) is seeing Percy facing down the first monster he ever defeated in the Lightning thief and totally owning him showing how much Percy has progressed through the series.

One thing that I always have hated when I finished a fantastic book series is that empty hole that you feel when it is over. With the end of this book you have the Kane Chronicles you can read (The Egyptian Counterpart series) or you can read the sequel to this series (The Heroes of Olympus) and after both of those they have three short stories combining the two and Rick Riordan has also started a Norse Series and a Sequel to The Heroes of Olympus series as well. So when you finish this book there is plenty of fun time to still be had.
on May 26, 2009
Readers who read the first for Percy Jackson and the Olympians books will not be disappointed with this book. The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan is the fifth and final Percy Jackson Adventure. The book takes place in New York City in the present. New York seems just like it is in reality to most of the population because they cannot see through the "mist" which hides the world of the Greek gods. The story is told in the first person by Percy Jackson, who is a fifteen year-old sword fighter. When he was younger, it was explained to him at camp that the Greek gods still exist and have moved Olympus to the top of the Empire State Building because New York City is the biggest city in the dominant country. The conflict in the book is person v. person. Kronos, the Titan lord of time, and Typhon, the father of all monsters, have escaped from jail and are heading for Olympus. Kronos wants to take over the world and is using Typhon and many armies to help him achieve his goal. Percy, who found out that he was a son of Poseidon, must help protect the Empire State Building with all of the other "half-blood" children of the gods. While the gods are fighting Typhon, Percy takes on the curse of Achilles so that he can be invincible and stand a chance against Kronos. The theme of the book is that people should be brave, stand up for what they believe in, and not give up.

I liked The Last Olympian very much for many reasons. First, the book is extremely action-packed. The battle scenes were particularly exciting. Second, the book is hilarious at certain points. For example, at one point, Percy is driving his stepdad's car and Pegasus, a horse, falls on the car! Another reason I liked the book is that even though the situation is not realistic, the characters' behavior is believable. I also liked that the author was not overly descriptive and let the reader imagine aspects of the story, such as the boat Princess Andromeda. Another reason that I like the Percy Jackson series is that the author uses very good transitions between each book. He always leaves the previous book with a cliffhanger that makes the reader feel like they can't wait to read the next one. The subsequent book always begins a bit after the previous book ended, and does not answer the cliffhanger right away. I would strongly recommend this book to people who love action and adventure, but I would also insist that people read the first four books in the series first in order to fully understand the plot. People who enjoy Greek mythology may also like this book. I would give The Last Olympian five out of five stars because the action never stops.
on November 12, 2015
The gods and the titans are at war and Percy and Annnabeth have to make sure the Olympians win or the world as we know it will be destroyed. They get some help from Rachel who can see through the mist and also see the future. Demigods and the others fight what seems to be a losing battle against Kronos and his hordes.
It was an exciting page turner.