- File Size: 195 KB
- Print Length: 45 pages
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Publisher: The Wild Rose Press, Inc; Champagne Rose 1st edition (July 23, 2013)
- Publication Date: July 23, 2013
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B00E4WFGMC
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,986,208 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
The Last Straw Kindle Edition
This month's Book With Buzz: "The Lying Game" by Ruth Ware
From the instant New York Times bestselling author of blockbuster thrillers "In a Dark, Dark Wood" and "The Woman in Cabin 10" comes Ruth Ware’s chilling new novel. See more
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
I love my Kindle, but there are times I cannot take it with me in my smaller than Kindle-size purse.
So, I've been looking for short, sweet, sexy romances I can read on my phone while I'm on the go. I came a across The Last Straw by new author Nia Simone, and what a great find! This story packs quite the emotional punch in less than forty-five pages (approx).
Ally Tobin, the heroine, is smart and funny with a good head on her shoulders. She knows what she wants and makes it happen for herself. Heartbroken and disillusioned after her last relationship, she decides to start over in Silicon Valley.
Jared Green, the hero, is the fool who let Ally go once. :-) But he quickly realizes Ally is not one to be toyed with and finds a way to win Ally back.
This is a story about second chances and trust. The emotional appeal of this story had me cheering for Ally and Jared to make it work.
The dialogue is awesome. I loved how these two talk about their past and their emotions. There's emotional tension in every page that had me wondering how Ally and Jared would make it work in the end. As I said, this is short story. Ms. Simone made it work with a sweet ending that left me craving for more from this author. I enjoyed Ms. Simone's style and humor.
There were also some items that could be fact checked. I admit these are very nit picky and minor but since the story was so short and suspense-less these items stood out a bit for me.
1) Stewart- you have a perfectly capable investigator of whom you think extremely highly. Why, when you are already convinced she is above board do you not bring her in ASAP? Time is of the essence when you are hemorrhaging IP, isn't it?
2) Stewart's Tesla is an electric - and engineLESS car (cf location 361: "...as Jared started the quiet electric engine"). Earlier Stewart had offered Jared the Tesla to work on - what's to work on? vacuuming the frunk? Good thing he immediately retracted the offer. And no, Stewart would definitely not have any jumper cables as again there is no engine.
3) why the immediate presumption that the father who lost the custody battle kidnapped his child without any spiteful motive towards his ex-wife? Too much chit chat about the father needing to see his son and not enough about the kid needing therapy being in the middle of a custody battle and kidnapping.
Overall not a bad read, but in hindsight would have preferred to have spent my time reading 45 pages of something else... But maybe it's all just me.... :-/
The reader can feel their resolve against Jared eking away along with Ally’s as against all odds, the gamble begins to look worth taking—another chance at love.
Jared and Ally are mature characters with much to lose. Nia Simone’s writing is as tight as their grip on their PI/FBI pride and as tender as their undercover dreams of mutual love. She walks the tightrope of fear and love with wit and verve to a place where we can indulge in sizzling passion and believe in love again. A delicious short read!
If you want some spicy romance in your life I can recommend The Last Straw to you. Ms Simone's characters are easy to get to know and easy to like. Her easy flowing style makes the reading experience a pleasure.
Do yourself a favor and read this wonderfully well crafted romance. You'll be glad you did.
Ally Tobin conducts employee background checks for a Silicon Valley firm. So when a resume turns up on her desk bearing the face of the man who loved and left her in New York City but with a completely different name, Ally can't resist the opportunity to grill her former lover. The mystery of his new name is quickly cleared up, but the simmering heat between them will be harder to dissipate...
Nia Simone writes a fun, compelling story, with witty banter and steamy love scenes. If you are looking for a heartfelt but hot romance, look no further!