Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,065 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,209 reviews
on June 15, 2014
My husband and I had a great time watching this movie. We are young enough to see the kids perspective and old enough to appreciate the 60/70 year old perspective.

Robert De Niro was brilliant as a love sick widower. The pictures of his wife all over the apartment was a nice touch. I bet there are a lot of widowers who follow suit now that the idea has been planted.

Michael Douglas seemed almost a bit too much himself. An older man who is marrying a woman half his age....needless to say he plays himself extremely well. Just teasing. Michael was great and he played the shallow guy with a deep inside very well. He made the character incredibly likeable.

Morgan Freeman as Archie is the grandfather everyone wants. His scene where he runs away was hilarious.

Kevin Kline...this one threw me. Picturing Kevin as an old fuddy duddy who's wife is tired of him being unhappy and giving him a free pass (a condom, a blue pill and the promise that what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas) ...well let's just say that is a character role I would never have pictured him in but he did a marvelous job.

The other actors were all great. Mary Steenburgen as the older love interest...still hot. Joanna Gleason and Kevin's wife...love the scene when she drops Kevin off at the airport. Roger Bart is great as Madonna. And Romany Malco was priceless when he was showing off the room in Vegas to the gentlemen.

I will be fair the script was pretty cheesy but it was fun and the actors are marvelous. So grab something to drink. Pop some popcorn. Sit back and just have fun.
on February 1, 2014
Resting on the format of a fifties or sixties comedy, giving glitz, glam, and wonder with little focus on the many of the direct issues the characters face. Definitely a barrel of laughs, the adds didn't away all the best parts; but the total party atmosphere gets a bit stale. Not for lack of acting chops, but like all party's you want to leave about fifteen minutes before you actually do, waiting to see if something happens. If your looking for just a good laugh, this is a film for it; but not much lies beneath the surface.

I'm biased to old folks in film. Bucket List, Grumpy/Grumpier old men. This fits neatly into that genre without making any serious deviations from it. Devoid of the tragedy of most of the genre removes the tear jerker aspect from it, although fitting neatly into the classic Hollywood format of a fifties or sixties comedy, paying homage to the era that the boys were still boys.

Of the notable star ensemble, Kevin Klein gives the stand out performance. Although the development of the character is a little rough, it doesn't take away from defining a character beyond just the star power brought by the actor. Further, the awkward behavior stands out like a gem set between the funny but cool styles of Freeman, De Nero, and Douglas.

A classic that should be watched with an older viewer. Not as touching as some of it's compatriot films, but still manages to raise a smile or two.
on August 25, 2015
So, I saw the previews for this movie a while back and thought it looked like a potentially funny movie. I had it on my list to get and then I completely forgot about for a while. Then, I ran across an article talking about Robert De Niro and came across this again. I watched the previews and remembered that I was going to watch it and took a chance on buying it. OMG this was SOOOOOO much funnier than I thought it was going to be! Of course, it's a toss up on whether my grandparents will find it as funny... but having to deal with elderly people all the time I found that some of the quirks that they have were VERY well portrayed in this movie.

I think I laughed more in this movie than most of the funny movies that I have seen in the past 5 years. That could mean that I haven't really seen a lot of funny movies lately but I really think that it means the quality of this movie is VERY good. The best part is... I can let my grandparents watch it and not feel too embarrassed by some of the "crude" remarks. Don't get me wrong... there are some borderline inappropriate comments and words that I wouldn't want my children to repeat, but they weren't so bad that I felt like hiding the movie and keeping it away from other family members.

Now, I'm a big fan of all four of these actors so I might have been a little more forgiving on some of the annoying parts (like one or more whining parts) but overall I really liked the movie. It will probably be one that I watch at least a few times but no matter what, I am VERY glad that I purchased it finally!
on March 19, 2014
With a cast like this, it's hard to go wrong! OK ok, it can go wrong with a bad script or
director-but then you'd have to ask would all of them agree to be in the film?

This was not as comedic as I had expected. It's more like a buddy film for the
ageing baby boomer crowd. These four guys (played by Michael Douglas,
Robert de Niro, Morgan Freeman and Kevin Kline) were close buddies
growing up, but as adulthood came along they went in different directions. As
the story begins Michael Douglas's character (long-time bachelor) has decided
to marry a girl young enough to be his daughter, or maybe grand-daughter
(shades of real life, anywhere?) and his friends decide to throw him a bachelor
party in Vegas. It'll be the first time they've gotten together in many, many years.
Slight plot spoilers: De Niro's character has held a grudge against Douglas's
for some time-plus he's grown increasingly crusty in general with age.
Naturally these 2 have to work out their problems at the party--which takes
basically the whole movie to accomplish. Throw in Mary Steenbergen as
an older struggling singer on the strip, to which both Douglas and de Niro
are attracted, just to add more complications.

There are a lot of digs at Michael Douglas's character for planning to marry
such a young girl. There's plenty of alcohol flowing, but generally the movie
is suited to the PG-13 rating with no real nudity (but plenty of highly attractive
young women in bathing suits, and some men similarly attired. Add 50 Cent,
Cirque du Soleil, Romany Malco, shake well and you have an enjoyable film
that touches on issues like maintaining friendships despite distance and
marriages and old age and illness, while still making you at least smile if
not laugh. Who knows there could be a sequel.
on March 29, 2015
I was having a bad arthritis day and wanted something to make me laugh. This worked. If we had bought the video, not rented it, I would have watched it again to see what I missed. Some scenes were so crammed with people and things happening, it was hard to process. The casino conversation was hard to follow with such a noisy background (told you we were codgers.) so I needed my "interpreter" for some of it. Also had to throw away my critic's hat as the plot was not particularly well done, but there were a few nice twists. We relaxed, we laughed and we related to some of the situations. We forgot our aches and pains for a couple of hours. I met Michael Douglas in person when he was 16 and I was 21. Yep, that makes me about 104 yrs old now. The point is, kids, you will be here yourself before you know it. Hold your friends close, say what you mean and follow your heart. Try not to do anything too stupid if you can help it. Codgerdom awaits us all.
on February 26, 2014
This film starts out with 4 young lads and their childhood pranks and the bond that is formed between them. Some past hurts show up in their later years and now that they are much older, the bachelor of the 4 originals decides to get married and wants his buddies to share in his first marriage when the rest of them were and/or are married and their marriages were so wonderful and meaningful. Michael Douglas is the one getting married and wants his "buddies" to be there with him in Las Vegas.
Secrets are revealed and yet the childhood bonds are still there and they watch one another's backs like the boys that they once were. The 3 that had/have wonderful marriages realize that Michael is not only getting married but to someone way too young and the others intervene to save him from making a major mistake and a "lady," far more age appropriate wins Michael's heart and keeps him from a major mistake.
It is a fun film and makes one realize what the dynamics are at the age of 69, which just happens to be my age as well. I found myself in so many parts of the film and I am a woman, go figure.
I appreciated all of it and could relate to it because I have a male friend that had those very bonds with his friends and the love that they formed and they were all born and raised in the lower east side of Manhattan. That being said, it makes the film become so real and true and tender.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon April 17, 2017
Love movies with Douglas, De Niro and especially Morgan Freeman and this movie is a hoot. A few scenes really got me to laughing. I hope these guys do more work together in the future.
on March 9, 2014
I always thought I liked Mary Steenburgen, but in this movie she grated on my nerves. I'm not sure if it was her voice or her lines or her acting, or all three. Possibly the writing because I found myself more aware of the dialog than I usually am....meaning it didn't flow easily. The story was ok and I liked the characters.

The biggest problem here was not the movie itself, but the delivery of the video. OMG, it took us almost FOUR HOURS to watch this movie that was 1:44 long. It kept stopping and loading every couple of minutes. Then would go completely out with Error messages. So frustrating!!! We would have to start at the home page over and over. Then sometimes it would start a couple of minutes BACK and we'd have to watch the same part over again or fast forward (which meant waiting AGAIN). This was our first Amazon Video. If this is how it's going to be, then I'm going to have to find another service. I thought Netflix was bad, this was a hundred times worse! BTW, in between we checked Netflix and it was streaming normally, so it was not our internet's fault.
on June 24, 2014
So, if you're looking for a cinematic masterpiece, this film probably isn't what you're looking for. We found it entertaining, light, funny, and great for one of those nights where you don't want a movie you have to work at.
on April 14, 2017
Great cast. Pretty shallow script. Take away the Las Vegas party scenes, and there's not much story left.