Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Limited time offer STEM Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Shop Popular Services siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change
Price:$5.78+ Free shipping

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 14 reviews
on April 3, 2011
Multiracial Asha Jamison is called a "towel head" at a party. Deeply offended, she desires to combine two things: spreading ethnic awareness and saving money for a trip to England. A t-shirt business can make these goals possible. Asha and her friends create a Latte Rebellion website and sell t-shirts promoting brown people. An innocent business at first, things get out of control when they're accused of terrorism. Asha has to face poor grades, losing her best friend, and the possibility of expulsion. This is a thoughtful novel that weaves the high school experience with important issues like racism and ethnicity.
on April 9, 2015
I had some real problems with this book. I wanted to like and it seemed like just the kind of book I could really get into: plucky heroine striving to right the wrongs of the world and the culture around her.

In it, Asha wants to escape the confines and rules of her extremely strict parents after graduation for some fun before going to college. Along with her friend, Carey, Asha starts the "latte" rebellion after being teased about her heritage and race at a pool party. She decides to use "latte" as a way to bring awareness to her race as mixed heritage and comes up with the idea of selling t-shirts to make money to fund her trip. Soon, though, the world at large gets in on the action and takes the rebellion much farther than Asha ever dreamed, launching her in trouble with school, her parents, and her friends.

Sounds great, right? Right from the start, I had real issues with the main character. This may be a fault with mine--anytime I dislike a main character, I end up really hating the book. And, Asha is so dislikable. I cannot get behind a heroine whose only goal is to make money for a summer vacation. The idea of mixed-race awareness is clearly of secondary importance to her, if that. She repeatedly lies to her parents and her friends. She treats her friend Carey in the most selfish way and then is surprised when Carey wants to abandon their friendship. She loves the fame of the group, but doesn't really want to do any work towards the mission. Plus, for a girl who chafes at being labeled, she labels and categorizes everyone she comes across. Their isn't anything wrong with the plot, grammar, or writing style, but the main character makes this a book I couldn't recommend to young readers for any reason.
on July 28, 2011
I'm feeling a little bit mixed about this book. There are things I liked. I liked the premise with the social action elements related to mixed race students wanting others to be more accepting of them and acknowledging their uniqueness. I liked the strength of character Asha gains through the course of her senior year as she learns more about becoming involved in causes and staying true to oneself. I liked that she learned to speak for herself and be strong in her own ideals outside of what others may think of her. I liked that she learned the importance of having her own voice heard. I liked the elements of dealing with the realities of friendships at the end of high school-how they start to change based on what people want to do with their lives, as their priorities change, as they grow apart into their own people. I also liked the way the author chose to set up the story with telling chronologically what was happening, but having flash-forward moments to the disciplinary hearing that occurs at the end of the story, helping add tension and building suspense throughout.

Then there are some things I didn't like as much. I felt that the pacing just dragged on a little bit. At times I was trying to get through the book just to get to the end and on to the next one - which is unfortunate because I think there were strong messages in this book. However, I did feel like it read long. Asha narrates this story, so we're very much in her head as the reader. At times, that is helpful, but at times it got a little bit monotonous. Basically, I just wanted more action to be happening faster. The major events were good and I cared what would happen, I just wanted it all told to me sooner. I also felt that it wasn't as descriptive and engaging as I would like. In addition, there was a romantic interest subplot, but it fell a little flat for me. Overall, it is an okay book with a good message that I would recommend, just not needing to be moved to the top of your to be read pile.

Review originally posted on Heise Reads & Recommends
on March 30, 2015
Great book, sometimes life tales the best story. Sharing our past help from others future. The author gave a good account of adolescent times
on August 8, 2014