Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Prophets of Rage Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 126 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 163 reviews
VINE VOICEon September 5, 2017
Jess Oppenheimer was one of television's most important producers and a prominent comedy writer known mostly for "I Love Lucy." I bought this book for aspiring sitcom writer. He didn't start writing comedy for television. He began making jokes as a child to cope with a difficult childhood in San Francisco, California.

He studied at Stanford University in Palo Alto, California where he emerged in radio career. Then he came to Los Angeles, California for a radio and television career. He never imagined the success of "I Love Lucy." He was producer and head writer for the first five seasons. The series with the entire cast, Lucille Ball; Desi Arnaz; William Frawley and Vivian Vance were inducted into the Television Hall of Fame. The entire cast have Stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame as well too.

In my personal opinion, Jess Oppenheimer should a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for Television and Radio. He should be posthumously be inducted into the Television Hall of Fame as well. Jess was the unsung hero of the series.
on April 4, 2013
This book is probably one of the more enjoyable books I've read in some time. To think it might have never been given to the public to read makes me shudder! I'm so grateful the son of this talented man took time off from being a lawyer (shows Jess also had terrific children) to make sure his legacy lived on. Jess shows his talent in a very humble way, he is not critical he is just stating facts regarding his subjects. He gives you a glimpse into history with the beginning of radio, how he got permission (from his mother and family) to pursue his desire into that world. It also shows how his family tried to prevent him from persuring a carrer in radio by giving him the ultimatum of one year to make something happen. This gives thought to the fact as a parent, what do you prevent your children from becoming? It would have been dreadful that we might not have had the "I Love Lucy" Series today had he not been given the opportunity to pursue his desire in radio? As a reader, you are excited for him, you long for him to go on with the story because you don't want to miss a thing! You love learning about his beginnings but it is powerful to learn about how he resolved problems before him, being a quick study to learn about film, dealing with the disagreements with Viv and Bill, and learning quickly that Lucy was insecure and Desi was quite bright. He valued Lucy as a wonderful talent and never took anything away from her or others. He stood his ground and I probably loved that most in learning who Jess Oppenheimer was as a man. A must read!
on December 11, 2014
Although this wasn't about what I thought (more Lucy and Ricky) I enjoyed reading about Jess Oppenheimer's life and work. A very interesting and smart man. They have some pictures and a few were of the Lucy set. it was interesting seeing the layout for I Love Lucy and remembering the many laughs my family had watching the show. The most I ever saw my dad laugh was the show where they (all four) were on a trip and had to spend the night at a ratty hotel/filling station run by Ernie Ford. When a train would go by the building the bunk beds would jump all around the room. It was great seeing my dad sitting on the couch in stitches. It was before 1956 and we lived in a duplex my folks owned. What great memories. If you're in the age group that watched these 'new' shows weekly I think you'd enjoy this book
on November 8, 2014
Wow what a great memoir about the Golden Age of Television as told by the producer and executive producer and his son. The reason that the son is mentioned is that he found his dead father's files and realized that his dad had intended on writing a book but died before he could get it done. The son took a year off of work as a successful lawyer to write this tribute to his dad. It gives the early history of Mr. Oppenheimer in the radio business.

It goes on to tell the stories of the principals in the greatest show of all time I Love Lucy. It is a great read and I recommend it highly.for
The only negative is that it has formatting problems in the book and needs to be fixed but the story is pure genius.

The reviewer is the author of the new Kindle book entitled: Sex Education For Adults Secrets to
Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too
on June 6, 2017
In this memoir the author tells about his showbiz career but the bulk of it si about the creation of I Love Lucy and the behind the scenes stories about working on the show.
Even then he knew this show would become a comedy classic.
on October 17, 2014
Greg Oppenheimer did a great job with his father's memoirs to produce this book. What I enjoyed most was learning the history of the show, how it came to be created and the inside look at what it took to produce a weekly television show of this caliber. Jess Oppenheimer must have been an incredible man to juggle all the responsibilities he had and to humor his talented cast made up of very strong personalities. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and recommend it highly. www.theschoolmarm.com
on August 15, 2015
If you have ever watched "I Love Lucy", you will love this book. It was inspiring. I felt like at the end, Paul Harvey should have said "and that's the rest of the story". You get first hand knowledge of the making of the show - before, during, and after. How the show was made, all the creativity that went into it, behind the scenes, and even how deals were made. Scripts and pictures were included.

I would love to listen to some of the shows that used to be on the radio. They were clean, well-written, dramatic or funny, depending on the storyline.

Some of the recordings were included, but I couldn't listen to them. I read this on my iPhone kindle app, so that may have had something to do with it.
on November 10, 2014
If you are fan of "I Love Lucy" this book was written for you. Compiled by the son of Jess Oppenheimer (the steam-roller energized Mr Everything of the show) This insider saga goes from the early days of radio ("My Favorite Husband")when Jess wrote for Fanny Brice-as-Baby-Snooks. He was brought on to the radio Lucy and then was pivotal in the change from radio to TV. Along with Madelaine Pugh and Carroll Jr, the lines poured out once a week from 1951 to 1956, with a new episode discussed, written, rehearsed and taped before a live audience, much to our delight these past years. Jess Oppenheimer had energy to learn everything and the talent as well. This book also comes with Appendcies of original scripts. The photos are rare glimpses into the hard work of the team, although, like any feat of talent, they all made it look easy.
on December 18, 2014
What I didn't know about Jess Oppenheimer could fill a book. Yes, he had some luck along the way to his success, but he was a brilliant man who was ready when opportunity knocked. He takes you back to the glory days of radio and the beginning of television, how he met Lucille Ball, the beginning of "I Love Lucy" and how it developed. Was Desi Arnaz really a snake-in-the-grass?
Remember, Jess Oppenheimer was a writer--a comedy writer! So this is a very entertaining book, full of amusing stories and situations. You also get an up-close and personal look into life in the early 20th century. Did you know 3 adults could travel around the world for 6 months for $5000 in 1935?
I enjoyed this book immensely and would highly recommend it.
on September 18, 2017
One of the wittiest autobiographies I've ever read. Behind the scenes info, mp3's of vintage recordings, laugh-out-loud funny...what more could you want.