Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Lavazza Crema e Gusto - Ground Coffee, 8.8-Ounce Bricks (Pack of 4)
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Ingrid Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

Size: Pack of 4|Change

on January 23, 2013
This is absolutely my favorite coffee, and I rely on it heavily to keep me going through insanely intense work weeks. As a chemist I'm extremely concerned with the potency of my coffee. By potency I'm referring to the amount of the coffee that actually gets extracted from the grounds via the brewing process. Crema e Gusto has to be the strongest coffee I've tasted and probably requires about half the grounds to achieve the same potency compared to other coffees. I've tried a wide variety of other coffees such as Kicking Horse which is another highly rated coffee on Amazon. Although Kicking Horse's Kick Ass Coffee has an arguably better, more complex flavor than Crema e Gusto, it suffers from the same lack of potency like other coffees. I believe the reason for Crema e Gusto's strength lies in the fact that it is 70% robusta beans which are known to taste stronger than arabica beans. Additionally, the caffeine content of robusta beans can be up to double that of arabica which lends to the enhanced stimulant properties of Crema e Gusto versus other arabica based coffees. The question is now why not just get 100% robusta coffees for maximum potency. The problem with that is that you'll sacrifice flavor for the potency. I believe some cheap coffees such as Folgers often contain 100% robusta beans since robusta beans are overall cheaper to produce than arabica. As everyone is well aware, these coffees taste bad and tend to be bitter. On the other hand, Crema e Gusto is perfectly balanced (containing 30% arabica) to deliver a smooth, bold flavor while retaining the potent nature of robusta-based coffee. If you're a flavor snob who only drinks coffee for a great taste, go for something like Kicking Horse, however, if you're like me and need a nuclear charge to keep you going all day long but value taste as well, Crema e Gusto is the perfect coffee.
Note: My preferred method for brewing is the Aeropress.
0Comment| 116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 29, 2008
Lavazza is a great Italian brand name and the Crema e Gusto blend is a fairly new introduction to the Lavazza catalog. I first tried the Crema e Gusto in Europe and quickly became addicted! I packed my suitcase full when I came home and it was worth the effort. All of the Lavazza blends are excellent, but this blend is particularly special- it is very smooth and rich with virtually no bitterness at all. I brew it in a stove-top espresso maker and it's absolutely perfect every time.
99 comments| 138 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 10, 2009
One taste was all it took for me. I tried Lavazza at a local coffee house in Denver and really enjoyed the taste. No bitterness at all. Very full flavored coffee.

I came across this as the word "Crema" caught my eye. Now I am ordering it using the subscribe and save. It is running me $17.41 for every order and that's with free 2 day shipping because of the Prime Membership.

Each brick lasts about 10 days for 2 people drinking 6 cups of coffee every morning. I use 1 tablespoon coffee for every 6 ounces of water brewed in a Target Michael Graves design automatic drip coffeemaker. The "Flavor" button really brings it out in this coffee. I love my coffee with half and half and it really seems to compliment it well.

The packages are vacuumed sealed and take up very little space. It really is a 5 star coffee.
33 comments| 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 23, 2008
Excellent coffee product. Bought for my espresso maker but also use in my drip coffee maker and is great either way.
22 comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2012
I consider myself a reasonable coffee enthusiast having done tours of places like Intelligentsia and know a decent bit about how to make the right brew.

That said, Lavazza Crema e Gusto is an interesting 30% Arabica, 70% Robusto blend. It's well known that Robusto beans have less flavor than Arabica and are cheaper, but tend to higher in caffeine content. That said, that is pretty much what you get with this blend. It's in all technical aspects a lower quality product, Robusto is considered a low end bean that you will almost never find it in American consumer coffee. Even instant coffee tends to tout 100% Arabica as well-informed consumers prefer the full flavor.

What's interesting is that Lavazza has decided to mix it, and so there's that coffee flavor coming from the Arabica, but it's mild due to how it's diluted. The "creaminess" I would say comes in part from the very fine grind they use, hence it comes packaged in these vacuum-packed bricks that are more like a mold when you open the bag than the usual medium grind you'll see. As a result, whether you drip or french press it, you get some of that bean filtrate coming through and it gives it a more creamy texture which is in all actuality the bean particulate coming through.

Finally the caffeine kick is awesome, as it's probably 2x stronger than your average coffee thanks to the Robusto beans and the super fine grind, making it a solid wake up coffee. I personally don't like the taste of it straight as compared to other 100% Arabica coffees like Sumatra or Columbian (which are my preferences) as it's just it's just too bland for my tastes but a touch of milk and sugar brings out more mellow flavors and again that subtle texture. Good for mornings, but I wouldn't necessarily ever have it as my go to coffee my evening cup.
44 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 14, 2015
I bought this on subscription because I totally fell into the hype...and I'm glad I did! This is a great espresso...and I generally don't drink espresso shots on their own. I did add a bit of sugar, though. It has a great flavor, not bitter but does have a tiny bite. Love it from stovetop and from my little espresso machine. I need to try it in a latte or cappuccino...I think it will make a very smooth drink. I have included some pictures to help out the review.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on February 8, 2009
We have a semi-automatic espresso maker and this is what goes in it. Amazing flavor, no bitter undertones at all, beats the local coffee houses' espresso (which was unexpected for pre-ground). 5 stars!
on March 22, 2015
I was very disappointed with this coffee when I received it. I was expecting a medium grind coffee that I could use in my drip coffee maker. This was not the case. It was a very fine grind, almost to the point where it looked like an espresso powder. It stated it would work in my drip maker so I tried it and it left particles in my coffee. The flavor was good, but the particles and mess in my coffee maker left me disappointed. I am using it in my espresso maker currently to use it up and it works good for that. I have included a couple pictures to show the grind. The first one on the spoon is the Lavazza coffee. The comparison shows my usual coffee on the bottom and the Lavazza on the top, you can see the big difference in the grind.
review image review image
on March 21, 2015
I am 100% Italian and I can tell you that this is the best coffee for espresso. The blend is 30% Arabica and 70% Robusta, which makes a delicate yet powerful coffee with a lot of cream and accents of vanilla and chocolate. I use it in my traditional caffettiera and DeLonghi espresso machine (although in Italy they sell a different version specific for the espresso machine, with different grind). Enjoy!
review image
on January 26, 2016
I ordered the 4 pack twice and this first time it was the best coffee I'd ever made (moka pot) but the second time around this particular brick had an off smell like ashes and a bitter taste, very different from the delicious chocolate notes in the first batch. I checked the expiration dates and it was still good but I guess your impression will vary given the huge differences on a brick by brick basis. I still prefer it to my usual coffee but this bitter batch left a sour taste in my mouth (literally and figuratively).