Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 24, 2014
That's about all I can say. I have studied Jim Crow, racism and this nation's tarnished history for forty years. I've read hundreds of books dealing with lynching alone and have developed a tough stomach for these tales of abject horror in my search to understand white Americans (I'm a white German). This one turned even my stomach.

However, it is essential to learn these horrors if one really wants to understand the truth of American culture instead of the myth of American Exceptionalism. It is always better to know the truth, see your nation and culture as it IS, and then work to improve it than simply accept the past as proving our perfection and blithely progressing through life as a fool.
2 helpful votes
on April 19, 2014
This book picks out one of the travesties of the post-Civil War, Jim Crow era horrors.Note that these were not SLAVES, but primarily grandchildren of slaves, although they were held in a slave-like existence. I selected this book because (a) I have read Slavery By Any Other Name, which included elements of this in one chapter, (b) my father's family is from Jasper County, Georgia, and I dreaded finding any of their names, and (c) I write historical fiction, which I try to base on actual events.

It is so hard to understand the mindset of the people in this book...yet you know it was true. It did happen. And it was horrible. The author has well portrayed the incidents and well as the impact this had on the people of Jasper, Walton and Rockdale Counties, as well as all of Georgia. Its a tough read because of the content, but worth it for those who believe we must study the past to prevent it from recurring in the future.
2 helpful votes
on May 19, 2016
Not much need to be said other than this is a book that had trouble putting down. I would go to sleep thinking about what I had read and wake up ready to learn more. It was a disturbing portrait of a period in the South that kept me wondering what the final outcome would be. John S. Williiams could have been the prototype for Adolph Hitler. And the racist southern system he thrived in could have been the blueprint for Nazi Germany.
on May 2, 2015
This book blew me away not just because it's about outrageous evil that actually happened but also because it's easy to read, hard to put down and backed up with facts and sources. I found the author's words descriptive and flowing. I liked the author's insight regarding what caused the characters to choose the behavior they did. As incomprehensible as it is, the author explains things from differing points of view of the characters. It's an unforgettable and chilling story.
on July 10, 2017
I love it. Great seller. Thanks
on January 31, 2017
They should give this book to immigrants here in America hopefully it can better prepare them for what black folk have experienced in this country for 100's of years
on March 4, 2017
excellent
on August 25, 2016
It's a riveting historical narrative! I had actually read it in high school, but I wanted to purchase a physical copy.
on September 27, 2017
Excellent read.
on October 2, 2000
LAY THIS BODY DOWN was a small portrait of the double standards that existed among those who owned slaves. Such a "family man" as John Williams could inspire fear, hatred, and murder in his slaves and his sons. He was even a murderer himself. Yet, he could be kind to his wife and daughter. I read the book, not because I enjoyed it, but because it is a reminder of the evils inherent in the abuse of other people and other races. If we are not reminded, it will be repeated. John Williams was evil incarnate.
6 helpful votes