Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on June 26, 2013
A compact, easy to use travel alarm -- well designed, and just what I was looking for. The only oddity (for me) is that the screen flashes red when the alarm goes off-- maybe so you can find it in the dark across the hotel room. The alarm initially goes off with a series of 8 double beeps (beep-beep, beep-beep...)then on the 9th, it changes to a more insistent triple beep series (beep-beep-beep, etc). The measurements are as follows:
W- 2 3/8" H- 3 3/8" Depth when closed for travel- 3/4"
Display W- 1 3/4" H- 3/4".
123 helpful votes
124 helpful votes
on May 10, 2013
Wonderful little portable alarm with a healthy 'wake up' sound ... can recommend without any reservation. Ordered two of these as they are very reasonably priced.
31 helpful votes
32 helpful votes
on September 20, 2017
I bought this two years ago, and I haven't had any problems with it. I haven't even had to change the batteries, although I imagine that if you use the more power-hungry functions like the light more often, it drains faster. I purchased mine to be a back-up morning alarm, because I'm terrible at actually getting out of bed once I wake up and often just fall right back asleep. This clock is loud and kind of annoying, as well as very portable, so I stick it on the opposite side of my room set to about 10 minutes after my phone alarm (much sweeter sounding but therefore easier to ignore) is set to go off. This way I have a snooze-button-push or two's worth of time to actually wake myself up, before this alarm forces me to drag myself out of bed.

Things I like about this clock:
- It's annoying, but not horribly so. You sure aren't going to sleep through it but it probably won't wake your whole house.
- It's sturdy and reasonably compact. If I'm going on a trip, I can fold it up and throw it into my bag or suitcase to take it along, and I don't have to worry much about it bumping around and getting broken. If you have man-sized pockets, you could even feasibly put it in a pocket to carry around - when it's closed, the time is visible but all the button are covered.
- It's easy to use. One switch with four settings (set time, set alarm, alarm on, alarm off), an add minute button, an add hour button, and a snooze/light button. I'm never confused about how to use it. Which, if you look at some of the competitors currently on the market, is a notable plus.

Things that I don't like about this clock:
- The blue light is VERY BRIGHT. It half-blinds me to look at it in the dark, which kind of defeats the purpose of an illuminated screen. I can practically use it as a dim flashlight. You're going to want to turn on your lamp to look at it instead.
- Since the way to turn it off in the morning is to move the switch to the "alarm off" position, you're going to have to remember to put it back to "alarm on" before you go to bed. You can either flip it back on immediately after turning it off, or do it just before bed, but just make sure you don't forget. I've been late to work once or twice for that reason.
- There's no way to remove hours or minutes, only add them. This means that if you miss the time you're aiming for, you have to hit the button a bunch more times and go all the way around and get back to it. Only a tiny complaint, and a side-effect of the simple controls, but still mildly annoying.
- The price. Is this really a $12 clock? Not... really. I'd call this more a $7-8 clock in terms of value; it's kind of clunky and it has annoying features like the too-bright light. But honestly, the difference isn't that big. If you have a few extra dollars lying around, you might as well put them to this.

Overall, I would recommend this product, since it does the job it's designed to do even if it's not perfect. It checks all the necessary boxes on my list: portable, good volume, easy to set, lasting quality.
on January 19, 2015
good little travel clock, although I use mine at home. Love the fact that it stays 'dark' all night; if you want to see the time, you have to push a button. VERY simple to program, although the buttons are a bit small, and the "functions" are hard to read because it's raised black lettering on black background. Alarm is decent, but has no volume control (that I know of) and may not wake a heavy sleeper. Battery operated, saves electricity. Have had it one month, so far, so good.
on June 2, 2014
I was tired of using my cell phone as my alarm clock due to reliability. This clock works well and wakes me up every morning.

One feature that i really like is the ability to verify that the alarm is set and ready to wake you the night before. When the alarm is set and in the alarm position on the switch, when you press the min and hour buttons at the same time, the alarm with sound, flash the screen read and display the time it will go off in the morning. This puts my mind at ease as i sometime mis-set my alarm or don't turn it on properly.

The reason for 4 stars instead of 5 was the viewing angle of the display. When you are below the clock, the numbers become less visible. The further up you look at the screen, the crisper and easier to read the numbers are. This is a big flaw for anyone whose nightstand is higher than the level of their bed.

Other than the viewing angle, the alarm clock is great. I will continue to use it till it no longer works... and may buy another at that point. Great alternative to using the alarm on your phone.
on October 4, 2016
After only 10 months, the glow light button on this clock no longer works. That means I have to turn on the light to check the time in the dark, which defeats one of the main qualities of this clock. This is not a battery issue, as I tried to make it work with a fresh set of batteries. That is the primary reason for only one star - my last alarm clock's glow function lasted for over fifteen years.
Another issue is the 4 minute snooze. 4 minutes is far too short, and I just feel like the alarm is constantly going off. Also, the glaring red screen during the alarm is angry and alarming (har har), and not a pleasant way to wake up. After trying to like this alarm clock for the last 10 months, I've just decided it's awful and I'm going to have to hunt for a new one.
on April 28, 2014
I spent far too much time looking for a replacement for my old Remington travel alarm, being passed from one seller to another, eventually selecting this product. The biggest shock is the blue light. It will nearly put your eyes out in the dark. In addition, it is not all that easy to use. I continue to be amazed by the vast variety of lousy travel alarm clocks available. You can burn up a day looking through all the difficult-to-use digital wizz-bang gizmos with horrid alarm sounds and dim lights. I am still looking, since this thing is a disappointment.
4 helpful votes
on July 6, 2013
This little alarm clock is easy and intuitive to set and has a nice loud beep, loud enough to really wake you up. Excellent product at an excellent price.
19 helpful votes
20 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on April 10, 2014
My old Radio Shack travel alarm clock finally gave up the ghost after nearly 18 years of hard use. As a replacement, this new Elgin alarm clock is far easier to read and much easier to set. I love how the display lights up red when the alarm goes off. The slider switch used to set the time and alarm and to turn the alarm on and off might be the first component to wear out, but we'll just have to wait and see how this clock holds up through the years. For now, I'm very happy with this purchase. I plan to buy at least one more as a gift.
on September 8, 2015
Daylight readable from across the room, and the soft light comes on for a couple of seconds when you push the button for night-time reading. Alarm is loud enough for me. Easy to set the time and alarm. If something happens to this one I'll replace it with the same model.