Salon Beauty Best Books of the Month Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon theaffairS4 theaffairS4 theaffairS4  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on September 3, 2013
I have owned stainless steel, Vision Ware, Lodge cast iron without the ceramic coating, and La Chamba frying pans; but they all seemed to be lacking something. They would cook some things well, but others not so well. I am glad to report that this pan has done everything I have asked of it and with better results than I expected. I have used it to fry lamb shops to perfection. Just a little ghee in the pan and they don't stick. (I have the 6.25 frying pan as well and I use it to cook over easy eggs and scrambled eggs without sticking). The thing to do is to heat the pan on a medium heat, put in a little oil, butter, or ghee; then put the eggs or meat, etc, in the pan. The scrambled eggs cooked in the other pans get a crust on the bottom, no matter how many times I stir them; in this pan, no crust, they cook faster, don't stick, and taste better. I use the larger pan for cooking chapatis as well. The pan has to be heated to medium high for these, they cook to perfection. I had almost given up trying to make them because they were hit or miss in the other pans. They either burned or were hard. In this pan they cook in 1 minute (30 sec. a side) and are soft. They are even soft the next day (that is if we haven't eaten them all as they come out of the pan). These pans truly are a joy in which to cook. I like them so much we even bought one for our daughter.
8 people found this helpful
on December 4, 2012
I've had this skillet for about a month now and I don't know how I ever lived without it. It's nearly perfect in every way and creates beautiful, easy meals. On weekday evenings I love to cook seasoned boneless/skinless chicken breasts in this skillet. Once the chicken is cooked, I let it rest under some foil and in the meantime I deglaze the skillet with broth or wine and lemon juice and create a quick pan sauce - sometimes I also add al dente pasta and fresh spinach to the sauce, and then serve. From start to finish, dinner is on the table in 30 minutes or less. This skillet also makes beautiful steaks, hamburgers, pork chops - you name it! Furthermore it has become a weekend workhorse in our kitchen - pancakes and eggs are absolutely effortless (with a proper amount of butter and pre-heating on MEDIUM-LOW heat, especially for eggs).

While I cannot comment on how this skillet compares to non-stick/teflon pans (I've never used a teflon pan), this enameled cast iron is by far the easiest material I've ever cooked with (clean up is also a breeze - 30 seconds in the sink with hot water and soap, and it wipes clean). I do use a moderate amount of butter and/or olive oil and preheat the pan for 3-4 minutes on medium-low heat before I add any food to the pan. I have had no problem whatsoever with sticking, and better yet, food always has a nice texture and the pan is left with lovely crispy bits (perfect for making flavorful sauces) after meats are cooked - I don't think teflon can accomplish this, which for me is almost as much of a deal-breaker as teflon's toxicity.

I also want to say that I far prefer enameled cast iron to raw cast iron. For a short period of time I tried out a Lodge cast iron skillet, but between the seasoning process (which I had to do constantly, because I guess I over cleaned it) and the oiling after "cleaning" and drying, it was really more trouble than it was worth. This Le Creuset skillet is just so much easier for me, plus the enameled cast iron will not react with acidic ingredients (and I can use as much soap as I want!). I'm eager to get more Le Creuset pieces - well worth the money.
7 people found this helpful
on November 29, 2012
This is the best frying pan in the world. I have been frying eggs every day since I got it so I can marvel at how great it is. Le Creuset is top of the line, and expensive. It's worth every penny and more. Teflon causes cancer, every other pan doesn't work as well. Classic all black and heavy cast iron pans are too porous and heavy. This is light and has a very smooth, doesn't scratch frying surface. It cleans up easy. And the bottom cherry color doesn't turn dark. If you know how to cook, you will thank me. If you don't know how to cook, learn on this pan. You'll have it for the rest of your life.
7 people found this helpful
on March 29, 2012
I've been replacing some of my purple Paula Deen porcelian non-stick pots and pans with LeCreuset pieces in cassis. Why? For me, the Deen pieces (not even a year old) haven't been holding up as the non-stick surface seems to scratch when I just look at it funny never mind when I'm stirring with a wooden spoon.

Yes, LeCreuset vessels are heavy and expensive but I've been lucky to find the pieces I want not only on sale but also with free shipping. So far, I've been very happy with the four LeCreuset pieces I own and really like the option of their going from stove top to oven. (Just watch your oven temperature if you haven't switched to SS knobs.)

I replaced one Paula Deen skillet only to be disappointed in the second as well and then had another one of those "just one more LeCreuset" moments. The LeCreuset cast iron skillet arrived earlier this month and has proved to be a learning experience after reading other reviews.

To season or not to season? My care and instruction booklet clearly states that seasoning is not necessary, so I didn't season. My first omelette attempt started with some butter, I heated the skillet for less than 10 minutes, used room temperature eggs, and ended with a sticky mess. Not enough butter? Was the skillet not hot enough? Was it a combination? I don't know. I can say that after soaking the skillet, clean up wasn't an issue.

I found more to read at other sites and decided to season my skillet because 1) it didn't seem like I would do it any harm and 2) while most say cast iron skillets season themselves naturally over time, I don't use a skillet on a regular basis. My second egg attempt, over easy, started with a spritz of cooking spray (olive oil for me), I heated the skillet for 15 minutes at 3 on my gas stove, used room temperature eggs, and ended perfectly even though I used a wood spatula to flip the eggs. After the skillet cooled, I let some water sit, and cleaned up without a problem. When the skillet was dry, I added a drop of olive oil, and used a clean paper towel to coat the bottom.

Why 4 stars vs 5? While this skillet passed the over easy test, give me a week or so to try another omelette, and I'll update.

*Added a 5th star today.

Sprayed the bottom of the skillet with some nonstick stuff, set my gas stove to 4, let the skillet heat up for 10 minutes, tossed in eggs, some spices, kept an eye on the pan as one edge cooked quicker than the other, used a wooden spatula to fold my omelette, and slipped it onto my plate.

No more teflon for me.
50 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on May 10, 2013
I recently upgraded my coil range with an electric glass top but was scared my lodge cast iron skillet would scratch it up. Did a little research and folks said that an enameled cast iron was the way to go since the bottom of the pan had a smooth coating.

After more research, decided to go with the Le Creuset over the Lodge mainly because of the warranty. I couldn't find any written info on lodge's warranty. I'm sure they back their product, but I like having things in writing.

Its aesthetically pleasing. The undercoat of enamel feels very smooth and strong. The flame color is very a nice burnt orange with a slight gradient effect.The cooking surface is fairly non-stick. The instructions say you don't need to season, but I like to wipe a little vegetable oil in there after I wash it out with water.

Overall I'm very happy with my purchase. I plan to add on more Le Creuset cast iron to the collection. I got my eye on the 3.5 qt braiser, which i've read is a do-it-all pot.
2 people found this helpful
on September 11, 2012
I haven't had any sticking problems like other posters. I am a first time cast-iron user and while researching Le Creuset and reading reviews I was afraid I'd burn everything up and ruin the skillet. Not so. You don't need to season...the seasoning will happen over time and with good care of your skillet. Just coat the skillet with a thin layer of oil and cook! I have only needed to heat the pan to no more than medium heat setting on my stove and have made perfectly seared steaks, eggs, pancakes, fried rice, etc. The food cooks evenly...I'm so pleased.

The enameling gives the skillet a smooth feel and the carribean color is absolutley gorgeous.

No more non-stick, teflon pans...this skillet is amazing!
2 people found this helpful
on July 19, 2013
I was looking for a healthier way of cooking, I decided on cast iron and the LeCreuset skillet looked great. I was concerned, and leery of buying it, after reading the negative reviews of food sticking, and especially eggs being hard to wash out. I read the positive reviews of food not sticking due to "seasoning" the skillet before use. So, I hoped the negative reviews were due to the persons "not seasoning" the skillet, or not doing it right. I bought the skillet, and "seasoned" it with several layers of oil to seal the skillet. So far I have used it many times to cook eggs, and sear Ahi, with No Sticking, No problems, and I just rinse it out with warm water afterwards, and put a thin coat of oil afterwards. It works beautifully. I am very happy with this product and I highly recommend it. Too bad the one person who wrote a bad review, who had such a bad experience got frustrated and threw this great skillet out. My guess is the person didn't "Season the skillet."
9 people found this helpful
on October 5, 2014
This is far and above the nicest skillet I've ever cooked on. Food releases beautifully, and I like the weight as it makes it sit evenly rather than rocking around. Don't worry about the patina that starts to form on the bottom. This is normal, and helps the keep the skillet working like a non-stick.
5 people found this helpful
on September 13, 2017
Works great for defending your home from burglars or a pack of wild dogs also doubles as a frying pan
One person found this helpful
on October 18, 2017
This is the best frypan ever. It's heavy but not so bad that I can't handle it. The enamel non-stick interior is so much better than Teflon and cleans up just as easily without all the toxic waste. I only wish it had come with a matching or glass lid.
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.