Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 686 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 800 reviews
on January 25, 2014
I previously read "Start With Why" and really enjoyed it. That book helped to completely reframe the way I viewed business and the big picture. I was very excited to get a chance to read this book. Initially, I thought it would give a fuller explaination of how the Marines create greater sensitivity in their leaders. In a way, it did this although actually, the book was much more of a scientific study on the chemistry of management. I think it's interesting how Simon related biological chemicals that we all have to better management. The concept of a Circle of Safety and treating each employee as if you are their second parent is also interesting. I think in particular the end of the book where Simon talks about how the current generation feels entitled to quick success is very enlightening and very true. The ultimate point of the book is that if a leader watches out for their people and commits their whole organization to serve others and each other, everyone wins. It's easier said than done, but it's a very good reminder of the importance of going beyond just chasing financial gain.
on March 13, 2016
I always got bored in my previous jobs, I felt I wasn't motivated, even if I had a good salary and I had performance bonuses every three months. I felt there was something wrong in management but couldn't tell exactly what it was. This book helped me to understand what happened to me, and what to look for in the future.

Explanation about how generations had their own characteristics, how we evolved and how we arquitected our own problems, and how the modern world and technology affects the way we live, all this was really important to understand how we should adapt in the future if we don't want things to get worse.

I've always been intersted in running my own business. I don't want my colleagues to feel the same way I felt in my past, and I found the keys and motivations to do this in a better way.
VINE VOICEon November 12, 2014
Simon Sinek is both an engaging speaker and a good writer. The book feels like a tabletop dialogue with the author.

The anecdotes in the book are both entertaining and illustrative.

The premise is that there are four "positive" chemicals responsible for human socialization and achievement and one largely negative chemical (that leads to paranoia and stress).

Sinek uses this biochemical basis to describe activities that tend to build supportive and successful teams and activities that tend to break morale or cause issues in organizations.

I love the general concept.

My one caveat is that in practice, there are negative people, and, while the positive message that "everyone wants to do well if given the chance" is comforting, in practice, it is not always true -- assuming that it is true can allow "foxes in the hen house."

All in all, a well researched, very uplifting book - just keep one foot on the ground and realize that not every person in the world has your organization's best interests at heart.
on July 25, 2016
What makes Marines so great? Marine officers take care of their troops always. For example, they “eat last”—after the troops. Soldiers act better than most of us because they are willing to sacrifice themselves in service of the safety of others. However, often in business, leaders eat first—get paid more and stand first in line for benefits. Real leaders put others first—protect others first. An excellent organization has a culture of empathy that protects and serves its people first, who in turn look out for the organization. When people feel unsafe and unprotected by leaders, they feel stress and anxiety. They seek safety and protection in silos and engage in internal politics that hurt the company. When we compete between those silos, we give off selfish chemicals; but when we collaborate, we give off selfless ones—allowing us to be our best selves.
on May 2, 2016
The title itself says a lot. I was promoted to the position of carpenter foreman, while working on the construction of a large waste water treatment plant, when I was 26 years old. At the time my educational background stopped at the first half of the ninth grade. I quickly learned that leading a crew of carpenters required skills outside of just being a good carpenter myself. I had to learn how to constructively work with the crew when mistakes were made, not allowing my temper or frustration be focused on the crew or individuals. I have a system I use for this which I consider to be very effective. I also learned that my place, at any point in time, was wherever the work was the most difficult. This book embodies the lessons I learned by experience only, and provides the background of 'why,' along some very good story telling and comparisons. It is also very relevant to the times we live in now. I enthusiastically recommend it for anyone wanting to improve their participation in any type of organization. It is beneficial to everyone, leaders and the workforce.
on May 10, 2014
I have read other Sinek books which I found very helpful and challenging. This one seemed to be more history lessons which he tagged with catchy leadership headlines. Honestly the chapter titles are the most helpful things. Just look over the headings and you get the best parts of the book.
on September 8, 2016
As a young business owner and leader, this book helped me tremendously, and really raised my awareness of the importance of culture within an organization. Since I've begun implementing the leadership principles in this book, my company's culture has improved dramatically. I'm serving my employees better, they are serving my customers better, and the numbers are taking care of themselves.

Thank you Simon Sinek for this innovative, forward thinking leadership book. This is the spark of a leadership movement, and I'm excited to be a part of it!
on April 2, 2015
Entertaining stories, interesting ideas, but very little useful (actionable) information. Nice to know that people are probably biologically wired to lead, follow and trust. But how many must you say the same thing? This book could have been one third it's length. Simon Sinek spends most of the book repeating and rehashing how we're chemically and hormonally influenced in how we interact with others. The rest of the book is filled with the author's personal musings and ramblings about how this has caused baby boomers to ruin the world with corporate greed, in Congress, as parents, blah, blah, blah.

I was hoping to learn new insights into leadership and how to apply them, but the book never got there.

If you want to read a commentary on Simon Sinek's view of the world (a la Paul Harvey, Dave Barry, or Charles Osgood), this is an interesting read. If you're looking for a leadership book, I'd look elsewhere. I'd classify the book under "Human Interest," not "Business.
on July 31, 2017
The first part of the book seems like fuzzy science concocted to support his concept relating work group to prehistoric cave man groups and the reason why our bodies create certain chemicals. With no scientific references to support his thesis, it all seemed just too far fetched. Put it down at about page 50.
on January 16, 2014
Leadership is not a licence to do less; it is a responsibility to do more, according to Simon Sinek in this book. Leadership takes work. It takes time and energy. The effects are not always easily measured and they are not always immediate. Leadership is always a commitment to human beings.

Interesting statements made by the author include:

• Exceptional organisations have cultures in which the leaders provide cover from above and the people on the ground look out for each other.
• The leaders of great organisations do not see people as a commodity to be managed to help grow the money.
• Work-life balance has nothing to do with the hours we work or the stress we suffer; it has to do with where we feel safe.
• Most people would never get rid of their children during hard times, so how can we lay off our people under the same conditions?
• The leaders of organisations who rise through the ranks not because they want it but because the tribe keeps offering higher status out of gratitude for their willingness to sacrifice are the true leaders worthy of our trust and loyalty.

I was somewhat uncomfortable with the author’s tendency to explain human motivation by reference to evolutionary biology and the chemicals dopamine, endorphins, serotonin, oxytocin and cortisol. In a book which argues that leadership is all about empathy and providing a safe and respectful environment in which everyone can thrive, it seems odd that the author apparently reduces humans to mere chemical machines.

In my opinion this book contains an important message which senior leaders of organisations need to read and take to heart, although I expect that very few will be able to read through the book without feeling convicted.