- Paperback: 400 pages
- Publisher: Jossey-Bass; 1 edition (January 7, 2014)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1118655443
- ISBN-13: 978-1118655443
- Product Dimensions: 6.8 x 0.8 x 9 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.4 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 39 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #60,337 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Leaders of Their Own Learning: Transforming Schools Through Student-Engaged Assessment 1st Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and Amazon Prime.
If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you increase your sales. We invite you to learn more about Fulfillment by Amazon .
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
From the Author
Ron Berger Tells Why Student-Engaged Assessment is the Key to Raising Student Achievement:
1. Assessment is used to promote learning—not just measure it.
2. Thoughtful assessment is done by and with students, and not just to them, and students become powerful advocates for their own improvement.
3. Tests and data, grading practices, parent conferences, and presentations of learning are all transformationally more effective using this framework.
4. For success in college, career, and civic life, students need the self-direction, reflection, and resilience that student-engaged assessment imbues.
5. Students and teachers need more than mandates and rubrics—teachers need concrete models of effective teaching and learning, and students need concrete models of quality student work. We all need a vision of excellence.
From the Back Cover
Leaders of Their Own Learning
Leaders of Their Own Learning offers a new way of thinking about assessment based on the celebrated work of EL Education. Student-Engaged Assessment involves students in understanding and investing in their own growth, changing the primary role of assessment from evaluating and ranking students to motivating them to learn. Student-Engaged Assessment ignites the capacity of students to take responsibility for their own learning, building the independence, critical thinking skills, perseverance, and self-reflective understanding they need to meet the demands of new, ambitious standards, reach higher levels of achievement, and succeed in college, careers, and life.
This book offers teachers and leaders a clear, detailed blueprint for implementing Student-Engaged Assessment, including a wealth of videos that demonstrate core practices in action.
Praise for Leaders of Their Own Learning
"Long before the nation began discussing Common Core standards, EL Education was working with thousands of educators to design learning targets that expressed clear, shared understanding for what students should know and be able to do. Let this serve as your guide to EL Education, a concept so successful but so simple that you'll wonder aloud why it isn't universally available for those kids who would benefit from it most."
--From the Foreword by Mike Johnston, Colorado state senator
"Chockfull of examples, tips, and video illustrations, this masterful book achieves the remarkable feat of being both a practical how-to guide for how students, teachers, and school leaders can use student-engaged assessment, and a visionary argument for how we can invert the school reform pyramid and put students in charge of their own learning."
--Jal Mehta, associate professor, Harvard Graduate School of Education; author, The Allure of Order