Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
Leadership by Design Hardcover – May 6, 1998
All Books, All the Time
Read author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more at the Amazon Book Review. Read it now
From the Back Cover
"In Leadership By Design, Vicere and Fulmer systematically identify strategic leadership development issues, articulate various approaches to leadership development, and cite examples of successful programs. The greatest strength of Leadership By Design is its consolidation of material that has previously been accessible only in a fragmented way. Here human resource managers will find solid and relevant research supported by practical examples and guidelines." --Morley Katz, President, Management Matters, Inc.
"A handy book to consult for a state-of-the-art introduction and discussion of current trends in the field of executive education. Leadership By Design will attract the attention of human resource professionals and others involved in the design and delivery of management development programs. Vicere and Fulmer offer timely, pragmatic advice about fundamental aspects of choosing vendors and locales as well as program goals and methods." --Frank Cespedes, Managing Partner, Center for Executive Development
About the Author
Albert A. Vicere is a professor of business administration and director of the Institute for the Study for Organizational Effectiveness for the Smeal College of Business Administration at the Pennsylvania State University. Robert M. Fulmer is the W. Brooks George Professor of Business Administration at the College of William and Mary. He was formerly director of executive education at Emory University and director of world-wide management development at Allied Signal.
Top customer reviews
In this context, Albert A. Vicere and Robert M. Fulmer :
* discuss several critical ideas that are fundamental to their thinking, including the nature of strategic leadership and the concept of a learning organization.
* describe the traditional paradigm for leadership development, and discuss today's challenges to this traditional way of thinking, and hence describe how organizations are refocusing their leadership development efforts to better develop their pool of strategic leadership talent.
* discuss how strategically focused leadership development processes can help build sustainable organizational competitiveness.
* discuss the nature of new paradigm for effective organizations, how it operates, and how it relates to the evolving approaches to leadership development.
* present a systems model for strategic leadership development to illustrate the major forces shaping the behaviors and outcomes within the field.
* discuss the nature of various techniques and methodologies for leadership development and present a framework for selecting among them.
* compare internal and external strategic leadership development programs, and through case study analyses of university-based general management and company-specific programs define the strengths and weaknesses of each approach.
* present the processes for selecting and managing providers of strategic leadership development.
* discuss assessment and evaluation techniques.
* present six leading-edge examples of new paradigm approaches to leadership development.
* present the seven core elements of strategic leadership development process/'seven Pc' to illustrate the evolution of the field from the past, through today's transition state, to the future.
I highly recommend this invaluable study to all executives and HR practitioners.