Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Month Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

Leading With Passion and Knowledge: The Principal as Action Researcher
Format: Paperback|Change

on December 6, 2016
This was a recommendation from leadership within my organization. It has some great ideas, even though some are common sense. Having been in my profession for 20 years, I get excited any time I can learn something new. I am glad I purchased this book.
on July 15, 2013
I am taking a course and this is required reading I was delighted to get it on kindle. I was pretty upset though to find it does not have pages so when the instructor assigned pages to read I cannot find it and have to more or less guess. The material is good but the not finding the assigned pages to read is a big headache. So if you are taking this book for a class. Get the book rather than the kindle.
on August 21, 2014
I wish that all PD was done this way. As a former biologist never though about using my research skills for PD that truly matters, probably the best way to do it. The book offers great insight into how to complete research if you have never done it as well as new tips and tricks to help old hands.
on August 23, 2014
Excellent product. This is the best ever purchase of my life. I can't believe how lucky I am for buying this product. My life has changed for the best. For ever.
on March 22, 2015
Clearly written insight into the value of practitioner inquiry in school leadership.
on December 25, 2014
Happy.
on July 13, 2010
The only reason I bought this book is because I HAD TO for a class I'm taking. I haven't finished the book yet as the course just started last week, but I will tell you it contains nothing earth-shattering as of yet. The book arrived in good condition and very quickly. I'm certain anyone else reading this review is also in a research course - good luck with your endeavors!
3 helpful votes
on July 17, 2014
Kindle book has no page numbers. It makes it impossible to know what page you are reading, especially if you are using this for a class and need to read some assigned pages.
Update: Here is the table of contents!

Table of Contents
List of Figures and Tables vii

Foreword Michael Fullan ix

Preface xi

Acknowledgments xv

About the Author xix

1 Administrator Inquiry Defined 1

What Is Administrator Inquiry? 2

How Is Administrator Inquiry or Action Research Different From Traditional Educational Research? 4

What Is the Relationship Between Administrator Inquiry and Principal Professional Growth? 9

What Are the Benefits of Engaging in Inquiry? 11

Where Do I Find My Wonderings and Questions? 30

Some Cautionary Notes 64

Chapter 2 Exercises 69

3 The Road Map: Developing a Data Collection Plan 71

Data Collection Strategy 1: Quantitative Measures of Student Achievement (Standardized Test Scores, Assessment Measures, Grades) 72

Data Collection Strategy 2: Field Notes 74

With Whom Do I Share My Work? 137

How Do I Share My Work? 141

What's Important to Share? 163

Chapter 5 Exercises 170

6 The Continuing Journey as "Head Learner": Assessing the Quality of Inquiry 171

Why Is It Important to Assess the Quality of My Work? 172

What Is the Difference Between Generalizability and Transferability? 173

How Do I Go About Assessing Practitioner Research Quality, and Why Is It So Difficult to Do? 176

What Are Some Quality Indicators for Practitioner Research? 179

What Are Some Ways of Enhancing Inquiry Quality? 184

Chapter 6 Exercises 187

References 195

Index 203
11 comment|Report abuse
on November 25, 2009
I rarely use textbooks in my courses, but I am delighted with this one, and my students have responded very well. It is written in a clear and accessible way, and includes many very helpful examples of real leaders making valuable changes through the process of action research. The activities are also very useful - I rarely use activities from a book, but the protocols Professor Dana offers have generated some great discussions in my class. I highly recommend this book both for classroom work, and also for districts and school leaders looking to move towards an inquiry-based culture that is substantive, not superficial.
3 helpful votes