Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Foo Fighters PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 3,460 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,220 reviews
on September 12, 2016
This book CHANGED MY LIFE. I had been working in the same position at the same company for the last 12 years wondering why I wasn't being promoted or approached by competitors. Along with gaining experience over the years and building my own self confidence, I needed this book to push me to take the next steps. I know this sounds silly and self absorbed, but when I was reading it, it was like Sandberg was talking directly to me. She gave me insight into some of the things that were happening around me, and some tips on what I could do to change the course of my career.

Within a week of finishing it, I stood up to a male coworker who was minimizing and deflating everything I said in a meeting in front of my manager and colleagues. Pre book I probably would have just let it go and been deferential even though I knew I was right. I didn't back down on my position, but I remained calm and logical, and was still friendly. He on the other hand became angry and raised his voice. I asked him why he was becoming so emotional about he topic, and that question disarmed him completely. He said "you're right, I'm sorry." Later he came to my office and apologized again. I know he didn't like it, and I don't think his apology was sincere, but I know I at least gleaned some respect from him and my colleagues.

I later noticed in another meeting in which a female coworker and I were presenting, several male audience members kept interrupting us despite the fact that we were supposed to be teaching them the material. I finally stepped in and said "gentlemen, thanks for your insights but we're going to hold questions and comments until the end." They shut up.

I have finally recently been selected to attend a conference across the country with a select few other employees. I attribute this selection to my newfound confidence in my abilities and contributions to the organization, and I attribute that confidence to this book!

I think every working woman should read this (especially working mothers), and possibly more importantly, every manager, male or female, should read this book.
11 comment| 124 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 17, 2015
Much like Sheryl, I always figured I had it as good as it was going to get. I figured feminism had already run its course, and being a feminist in my generation (I'm 29) would be like kicking a dead horse; it would also be something unflattering. Being a feminist would only hurt me and make the men above me like me less, so I've been quiet! After seeing the TED talks, recently attending a women's lunch event, and reading this book, it's clear that I have not been very honest with myself about the behaviors that I have been, not ignoring but "letting slide," in others as well as myself! Sure, I knew things weren't "equal," that men had it easier and were more respected in the workforce, but admitting that you have a part in perpetuating those behaviors is very difficult. Much more so will be working to implement the necessary changes (keyword "necessary") in our culture. It's time that sticking up for ourselves is not considered whining, but simply having a voice that deserves to be heard, as well as any man's!
on July 12, 2013
I recommend this book, but also want to temper the recommendation. This book had a lot of hype around it and I think I expected it to really stop and make me think, and even be inspired. I enjoyed it and found her story to be interesting, but did not finish feeling inspired. There are a number of societal observations that I think were important to note so that we can continue to discuss equality in the workplace and our society. However, though the author attempted to address all women, regardless of career aspirations (for those of us who want income and job equality, but aren't looking to be CEO or any other executive), I think the book will likely be most well received by women who are looking to climb the career ladder.
Again, I would recommend this book and think there are pearls for men and women alike in it, but would also recommend tempering expectations, especially if you are a woman who enjoys working but does not look to work primarily for your identity or satisfaction. I read negative reviews after finishing the book about the author being a bad mother and putting her career above all else and I hope that this book and others can begin to change that mentality where we condemn women for being driven and career oriented. At the same time, we also want to acknowledge that just as all men do not aspire to define success through work, I don't think that equality requires us to expect all women to either. But we do need to make progress in ensuring equal opportunity and equal pay for those that do and this books simulates an important discussion.
on September 26, 2015
I don't think I've ever written a review on, but I felt compelled to write one for this book. To me, this book was like getting the insight of the best possible professional mentor you could ever ask for. There were certain parts of the book -- like when Sheryl dicussed feeling like a fraud -- that rang so true to me that I felt like crying. Even if you disagree with Sheryl's perspective or take issue with her having more resources than most of us, the book is one that I think every woman should read. I'm forever changed and so grateful that Sheryl did what she was afraid to do (write this book).
on December 5, 2014
I ordered "Lean In" on Audible, because two of my professional colleague were gushing over it at a Lessons Learned dinner for the technology conference we all volunteer for as chairs. Even as I was confirming the order, I admit that I thought to myself "oh boy, here we go...another book about how the world should change how it works to accomodate women." Until I listened to this book, I thought I had always made my own way in the world of technology and business, negotiating for myself wages and compensation on par or surpassing my colleagues of either gender. But I didn't see the insight that would have helped me avoid and/or navigate thru the roadblocks I had stubbled upon came from, and the unspoken tribal knowledge / perceptions / misconceptions encountered.

The GREAT take aways from this book about the process and timing of making career choices is worth the price of admission on its own. But you'll come away with a lot more, and you might end up buying multiple issues and sending them all over the country to younger relatives, professionals and your contemporaries like I did.
on May 1, 2016
I really wanted to like this book but I found the content a bit repetitive and not very original. The tone of the writing also seemed a little condescending and a bit self-centered.
on October 15, 2015
Having never felt victimized by being a woman in Corporate America, I've never felt the need to 'play the gender card' and have questioned the motives of those who have. Then again, being a white woman has never given me an opportunity to question race in the workplace, while I can see how policies made 50 years ago have led to where we are today in terms of minorities in senior positions.

I first became interested in this book when I learned of the new SEC rule requiring companies to begin publishing CEO pay ratios in 2017. When I reviewed the list out of curiosity to find where our CEO ranks, it was disconcerting to see how few females lead publicly held corporations. Lean In presents a solid case for considering gender in organizational discussions, and doing so in a deliberate and professional way.
on December 7, 2014
I grew up in the sixties and seventies and can relate to many of the views and attitudes Ms. sandberg describes in this book. I, too, thought the work of achieving gender equality had been achieved for us by the feminists who came before me. Unfortunately, as I rose to higher levels of accomplishments in my chosen field, I ran into more of the gender bias issues she describes in this book. The trouble for me was a lack of role models and instruction from women who preceded me in leadership positions to help me know how best to confront those challenges. I appreciate the practical advice regarding how a woman can best request a raise or promotion without sacrificing likeability or downplaying her abilities in today's corporate environment. Though I wish it wasn't necessary to approach these issues as a woman,the reality is that it is. This was an easy and quick read with more wake-up call qualities than practical advice but both are necessary making it an important and interesting read. I will buy a copy for both of my adult daughters.
on November 8, 2015
This book was very well thought out. Sheryl does an incredible job of explaining the differences between women and men to allow the audience to understand why each acts as they do. Sheryl believes women aren't as confident as they should be because of external factors that hold them back. (especially the stereotype that they are automatically the caregiver of the family.) Sheryl wants people to be more aware of this stereotype so that we can find the solution to it. Sheryl explains many real life examples that showcase her beliefs and allow the audience to grasp a better hold on how society can change how women are portrayed in the workplace. Everyone should read this book- women AND men! It is going to take society to the next level because both genders are extremely powerful!
on August 29, 2013
Author of the book Lean In is Sheryl Sandberg, chief operating officer at Facebook and a former vice president at Google. In August, 2011, she was ranked by Forbes as the fifth most powerful woman in the world. Yet, this happily married, mother of two says “I still face situations that I fear are beyond my capabilities, but I know how to take a deep breath and keep my hand up. I have learned to sit at the table.”

That’s what she advises women to do in this book which she calls a “sort of feminist manifesto.” She makes a case for leaning in, for being ambitious in any pursuit. “Don’t stand back,” she admonishes, “lean in, go for it, keep your hand up, sit at the table. Take risks, choose growth, challenge yourself, and ask for a promotion (with a smile on your face, of course). Don’t wait for power to be offered , take it!”

First and foremost, according to Sandberg, “women are hindered by the barriers that exist within themselves.” We women, she says, have been influenced by gender stereotypes, introduced in childhood and reinforced throughout our lives. Therefore, we internalize negative messages such as it’s wrong for women to be outspoken and aggressive. Being firm and strong violates unwritten rules about acceptable social conduct. Instead be “pretty like Mommy and smart like Daddy.”

THE MYTH OF DOING IT ALL

Sandberg knows that women can’t do it all, although she has tried. At Google, she would lock her door and use a breast pump during conference calls.
She quotes Gloria Steinem who said it best: “You can’t do it all. No one can have two full time jobs , have perfect children, cook three meals a day, and be multi-orgasmic ‘til dawn.”

CHOOSING A HUSBAND

Sandberg says that husband “Dave and I have had our share of the bumps on our path to achieving a roughly fifty-fifty split, but I do have a husband who is a real partner.” She advises that “if you want a fifty-fifty partnership, establish that pattern at the onset.” That partnership will model behavior for the next generation.

Those men do exist. My Bob (Stapleton) took personal pride in my accomplishments, encouraged me 100 percent, and sometimes put on a pot of beans when we needed something to eat. It all started after I had spent all night stuffing envelopes on a mailing for a woman candidate. Next morning, at the breakfast table, Bob said “Sweet baby, if you’re going to spend your life in other people’s campaigns, you might as well run yourself.” With his support, I did run, and won a seat in the Oklahoma House of Representatives, where I stayed for ten years.

My Bob has been gone two years, and life is tough without him.

In conclusion, I leave you with this thought which, in my mind, summarizes the content of Sheryl Sandberg’s book: A man of quality is not threatened by a woman of equality.