Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 38 reviews
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 10, 2006
What fun and what an excellent learning tool. If you are familiar with Leapfrog's Alphabet Videos, then you should know that "Letters on the Loose" builds upon those experiences. Tad and the gang aren't here, but Professor Quigley is and he directs the action.

**What You Get**

There are two games on the cartridge. The letter hunting and writing game, and another bonus game which is only available when the LMAX is hooked up to the television.

Bonus Game -- In the bonus game, Professor Quigley puts on a robotized suit and shoots through a vertical maze. You are told to gather either capital or lower case letters. It's fun but requires quick decision making.

Letter Learning Game -- This game teaches uppercase and lowercase letters, their sounds, and it allows children to practice their letter writing.

Note: Others have commented on how `perfect' you have to write the letters and how annoying this requirement is-well LEAPFROG must have heard them because we have not found this to be the case. My daughter's handwriting is anything but perfect (though it's improving) and the LMAX accepted any `decent' attempt of hers to follow the dotted lines.

Plus, and I would never tell this to my kindergartener, you can actually practice writing using your finger on the writing screen. Now I don't want her doing that, but it *is* great practice for my younger preschooler son. [In fact, this is something that is used by some teach-at-home writing systems that have young children use sand to practice.]

**Pros**

--The letter writing portion of these games is just awesome. My daughter now loves to practice her letters (had to drag her screaming to a piece of paper-LOL), and likes adding them to her book of letters.

**Cons**

--For reasons which are not clear to me, when the LMAX is connected to the TV you have to use the button on the pen to make the pen work. [Without the TV you just have to touch the pen to the screen to enter a choice.] This means that for some young children (I'm thinking of my 3.5 year old son at the moment) they won't be able to use the LMAX's TV feature until later.

--There are really only two educational actions. You practice writing or you identify letters. I personally wish there was more to the game; but having said that the writing practice is worth the cost of the game!

--Graphics are okay (could be better) on the small screen but really suffer when transferred to the television. (I guess we are spoiled.)

-- Identifying letters is not really challenging for children that already know their letters. (Still they will play with it.)

Five Stars. Children can learn their letters, the letters sounds, and practice writing. I wish their was more for the money, but considering that both my preschooler and kindergartener can use this smartridge I really shouldn't complain.
on February 26, 2007
I thought my five-year-old son would be illiterate for the rest of his life until I found this game for him. Before, he was not interested in recognizing any letters or sounds they made and would not let me teach him the alphabets. Finally, we got this game system for him as our last hope and it worked. He has been working on the game without knowing that he was actually learning the uppercase, lowercase, and phonetics. He got frustrated with the writing exercise but it was fine. He could just skip that part and come back to it when he is a little older. An excellent educational tool that lets children learn while having a great deal of fun. My husband and I were so grateful for whoever designed the whole thing. You are amazing.
on September 2, 2005
Best thing we ever purchased was the Letters on the Loose and Leapster L-Max. My son entering kindergarten loves the Leap Frog Letter Factory video, word factory video and Leap Pad but this is on a whole new level. He can listen to professor Quigley and interact with a Video type game that shows how to write his letters then lets him write the letters on the screen with the accompanied pen. After he writes each letter it is stored in the memory book of his handwritten letters. If he is plugged into the TV he may then view and display for the whole family the great book of letters he is working on. There is a game to catch capital or lower case letters that arer specified differently each time he plays and animated letters play a game that asks you to do different tasks that help with hand eye cowardination and letter recongnition/phonics. We love it!! Kudos to Leap Frog again. Searching for the number Zero next to help him with Math Skills.
on October 18, 2007
We had to call customer service which walked us through the process of recalibrating the stylus. The games worked great after that.
My son has had it for only two days and asked to do his preschool homework which is writing letters. He hadn't shown any interest in writing before thatt. While writing his letters on paper my son made the same descending tones in the game. Too cute!

My son doesn't have much patience for extended sessions but he will pick up this game many times throughout the day to play with it for a few minutes.
on November 28, 2006
I purchased the L-Max with numerous games last Christmas for my then 5yo (now 6yo). He hasn't grown tired of this. I can't say enough about the L-Max and how much my son has gained from it. This is one of the best games he has and I'd recommend it 100%. I wish they weren't so expensive, but they aren't as high as some gaming systems and they are much more productive. Its like handing your child fresh vitamin filled fruit and they see candy.
on November 24, 2010
Awesome Pre-School/Kindergarten Educational Letter Game also teaches how to write the letters by tracing...AWESOME!!!! I do not have the L-Max I have the regular Leapster and it works just fine! I also recommend Counting on Zero
on January 18, 2015
What I was expecting
on July 7, 2009
My son loves this game. It has helped him develop a better understanding of his letters. There is a portion that teaches the kids to draw the letters. This is my son's favorite and has really helped him with his development of learning to read and write.
on July 8, 2008
We got this game for my 4 yr old along with the Disney Princess one and at first she played all princesses, but after a little while, she spends more time with this one. The games are more timeless and she loves building her book. Great for letter learning and writing!
on January 10, 2007
We bougth this game with the leapster L-Max for our daughter (5). There is not much to say - except - THIS IS A GREAT GAME!. It is so much fun for her to learn all the letters and their sounds, that she does not even realize that she is learning! The animation is perfect and she loves the fact that she can use a pen to write the letters on the display. What a fantastic way of learning.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question