CHOKING HAZARD -- Small parts. Not for children under 3 yrs.
LeapFrog® Tag Reading System (16 MB)
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- The amazing touch technology of the Tag Reading System encourages a child's love of reading as words talk, pictures sing and stories live out loud
- The Tag library includes over 20 books and games featuring characters from TV, movies and classic tales
- Tag storybooks and learning activities
- Children learn to read through an exciting and interactive experience in which they can also earn online rewards
- Parents can connect the Tag Reader to the online LeapFrog
- Learning Path to see what their child is learning, and explore ways to expand their child's learning journey
- Help children build vocabulary and reading skills such as word recognition, reading comprehension and phonics skills
There is a newer model of this item:
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
With a wide grip that's perfect for little hands, the Tag reader adds a unique element to story time. The included book, Ozzie and Mack, features the rhyming adventures of Ozzie Otter and his playful animal friends. Text for this book is preloaded onto the Tag reader, so as soon as you load two AAA batteries (not included) into the reader, the story can begin.
A little camera in the tip of the reader identifies words and symbols on the specially printed pages, giving kids lots of options. They can pick between starting a story at the beginning and having it read all the way through, playing a page at a time, or reading themselves and using the Tag reader to hear single, tricky words spoken aloud. This last option inspires kids to try reading books they might otherwise avoid, since the Tag reader is always there to help them out.
Young readers are sure to enjoy the way character voices add drama to their favorite stories, the way touching certain pictures inspires quirky sound effects, and the leveled activities included in LeapFrog books.
Explore the World of Reading
LeapFrog presents a library of books that are compatible with the Tag reader. Classics like The Little Engine That Could come to life, and kids' favorite characters, such as SpongeBob SquarePants and Kung Fu Panda, help them connect with new stories. LeapFrog has even teamed with National Geographic Kids to present activity cards featuring different animals that the Tag reader brings to life.
To use additional books and games, you'll need to install the LeapFrog connect application on your computer. Once this is done, it becomes easy to download audio for the books you have and put them on your Tag reader. Use the included USB cable to connect the reader to your computer, and drag-and-drop up to five stories onto it.
Watch Children Fall in Love With Books
Young readers may be too busy following the escapades of their new friends to realize they are building phonics skills, expanding their vocabulary, and improving their reading comprehension. The Learning Path can help you keep up with their progress. This parent-centered section of the LeapFrog connect computer application allows you to download education information from the reader to your computer and track your child's progress. Use it to help customize your child's unique learning journey and celebrate educational milestones.
Overall, this innovative touch system makes reading an enjoyable experience, and there's plenty of room for the system to grow with your child's skills. Watching as children learn new skills and thinking up new ways to be involved in the learning process keeps adults on their toes. While the reader seemed quite durable, the imaginative world of stories that it opens up is a gift that will long outlast the reader itself.
Although headphones are not included, the Tag reader is compatible with most headphones, so kids can concentrate on reading without being distracted or disrupting others.
What's in the Box
Tag Reader, USB cable, LeapFrog Connect software CD, and the book Ozzie and Mack.
Top Customer Reviews
At first it's a game and your child will just want to click on everything to hear the sound bites. As time goes by they start exploring the less than obvious features like read back and games. Before you know it you have a totally transfixed kid. It's great for a long drive and it certainly beats the pants off a dvd. I do believe that this device is positively contributing to my child's learning. I will say that the books vary in quality. I am writing reviews on most of them ; ) so you can follow along if you wish. To start with get Sponge Bob as it is the best of the bunch followed by Kung Fu Panda or Cars.
Last thought if you're still with me. This is a wonderful invention. I do recommend it especially for parent's that are looking for an alternative to TV. I just wish to caution that it is not a substitute for quality reading time with your child so make sure to read to them as well. Overall a great investment.
I hope this review helps.
It's not often when our child thinks that a toy is as awesome as her parents do. But I can tell this one is definitely on her short list. It's the only toy that regularly travels from the car to the living room, to the kitchen table, to the bedroom, and then back to the car. That's right. She *carries* it. She doesn't ask us to carry it around for her. As far as I'm concerned, that's the highest praise you can give.
- Unlike the Leapster where multiple users can share each device, each Tag is for a single user (player profile). LeapFrog highly recommends each child have his/her own Tag reader in order to take full advantage of Tag. Therefore, sharing doesn't work and means more $$$$ spent.
- Using a Tag reader on multiple computers might be cumbersome. I haven't found a way to "migrate" data easily, for example, in case of OS or PC upgrades. This affects the Rewards and the LEAPFROG Learning Path.
- Can only store 5 audio books at a time on the Reader. So if your child wants a different book besides one of the five, you'll have to connect to the computer to download/manage it. This will make it difficult for long trips. Memory is cheap, why not have more memory to begin with?
- Must connect to the internet, but then, who doesn't have internet access these days.
Some nice points.
- Has a headphone jack!
- USB connectivity was pretty easy, but did seem a bit slow.
- Reader worked fine.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
One of the best reading systems available! I totally recommend this to any new parents.Published 10 months ago by Aruba831
My nephews and nieces love it. This is an excellent artifact to start learning to read. I love the printing and the audio files.Published 11 months ago by VicManDAY
It came in an appropriate time however the battery casing is stripped making it difficult to open it to add batteries.Published 19 months ago by Rachel Croom
A perfect reading item to assist child to pronounce and articulate words/vocabulary. Enjoyable and fascinating for young children. Well worth the price.Published on February 16, 2014 by Jennifer
watched my nephew today play with this for the first time and he was mesmerized!! What a great product. Read morePublished on November 16, 2013 by Diane E. McDaniel
I saw that they were still selling this old version and I had to review it. We picked it up at target a few years ago (when the newer models were hitting the shelf) and snagged it... Read morePublished on October 22, 2013 by Sierra Schwartz
I couldnt be happier withthis thing I am only upset I didnt get more than one. My kids fight for it and I have to put a limit on it for all of them. Read morePublished on August 2, 2013 by Amazon Customer
We've had nothing but bad luck with them so far. We got the system and some books 3 weeks ago for my son's birthday and he hasn't been able to use it yet. Read morePublished on July 11, 2013 by missywirz