Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Fire TV Stick: $29.99. Offer ends 3/26/18 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on September 17, 2009
I read a couple of reviews and thought what a wonderful thing to get for my 3 and 5 yr old granddaughters. I received these and was impressed by the fact that they actually looked like real smartphones. I thought my girls were going to think these were the best thing since sliced bread. WRONG! The 5 yr old turned it on, took one look at the black and white graphics and gave it back to me. The 3 yr old actually tried to play with it. After about 5 min. she got tired of it and asked for her Nintendo DS. Whoever got the idea that a kid would actually like the black and white display obviously didn't do much research with the kids who would actually use these, especially kids that had advanced toys such as the Nintendo DS with it's beautiful interface/display. Oh, COLOR display I should say. What the heck is this black and white display? I returned these and got my $ back and bought the kids 2 new Nintendo games. They were thrilled.
1414 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 20, 2010
I purchased this toy for my then 3year-old son (after a moderate amount of comparison and deliberation with similar toys) with the simple goal to help him learn the sounds of the letters better. We've been disappointed with toys that pretend to be adult "toys" but that just don't seem to fool him or make him want to play with them for more then a day or two. So I was skeptical and had low expectations of how well it would entertain him. And to be honest, he barely touched it for the first month he owned it (it was a Christmas present though so he was busy playing with new trains, vehicles, building blocks, and such). Then one day, (because of it's size: it fit in my purse) it went on a doctor's visit with us. And that was it.

I took the time to show him what buttons did what and how to bring up different functions (he remembered a couple) and he has loved the toy ever since. He likes to keep it in the car now and he plays with it almost every day when we're all driving home from work/daycare (which can be a pretty cranky time for him so yay!). He'll also play with it in the morning when he wakes up on the weekends if we put it by the bed after he falls asleep and give us a little extra time before we have to get up.

Educationally, I like this toy as much as he likes it for being fun. He is delayed with his language so I like that it helps him with his letter sounds while playing. We sometimes expand on it and make up our own silly combinations... well, we do but he laughs at them and repeats them, which is the important part. As he gets older, he'll be able to contribute too and we'll be able to really make a game of it. I like that as he gets older and understands more, there will be new functions he'll be able to use on this toy (like the game mode) so it will continue to help him learn and be fun for him for a long time. As a parent, I love toys that have a long play life!

So far this toy has been pretty durable. It has been dropped on concrete and had a 35 lb child stand on it several times without any damage. In general I have been happy with the quality of Leapfrog products and this one is no exception. It is a great toy, both for children and parents.
0Comment| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 19, 2009
I bought this for my 20 month old daughter and she absolutely loves it. My daughter loves daddys laptop, cell phone, and game systems. I bought her this and it keeps her entertained long enough for me to get things done. Its, by far, her favorite toy and she doesnt let anyone play with it. I was really happy when I saw her playing by herself one day with the toy. She kept pushing the same button over and over and she would try to repeat what it was saying. This almost reminds me of those old Speak N Spells from way back in the day. Its quite durable and has proven that it can take a beating. Highly recommended.
0Comment| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 18, 2010
I bought this for my 2 1/2 year old now 3, we travel alot and this keeps him still while he gets a haircut as well. Also, going through security at the airport was easy and it is small enough to put into his carryon backpack and loud enough for him to hear and not others who is sitting close on an airplane. There are animated pictures when you press the alphabets in upper case and lower case, 2 games and one button that sings a little song to teach you about the weekdays, good for an hour and if you play with child a few hours without getting bored, but once my 3 year old has mastered this game, he only plays with it from time to time.
on February 25, 2012
The child can bearly see the screen. New batteries were put in and the screen is to dark.

Vickey E
on January 9, 2010
It would be great if there was a backlight on this toy because the screen can be hard to see. It would also be nice to have the option of adding games or other activities off the internet and onto this toy.

Overall it's a fun toy and my son can learn from it (he's 3). He has fun pretending he's texting and enjoys learning sounds of letter as well as playing the games. I know he will be more interested in it as he grows.

I would buy this toy again.
on December 30, 2016
Someone gave this to my son second hand.. I didn't pay much attention to it but he carries it around everywhere and plays with it all the time. It wasn't until he started pointing out letters on clothing or papers that I realized he's really learning from this thing. I love it. He knows over half the alphabet just from playing with this toy. He's only 20 months.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 4, 2013
Both of my kids like this gadget but I wish the screen lit up. I bought it for my son who was 3 at the time to use on a road trip & while he loved it, once it got dark outside, he couldn't see the screen. My 16 month old loves it now so we've gotten a lot of use out of it.
on April 5, 2012
This toy was quite a disappointment coming from a brand with such a good reputation for learning as Leapfrog has. The graphics are poor, but most of all the activities for play are VERY limited. There are only a few games to be had. Yes, I agree the dog is cute, but it's probably the only thing this toy has going for it. For this day and age, when a lot of punch can be packed into a $20 electronic game, this toy falls quite short. Spend your money elsewhere.
on October 18, 2010
My girls adore this device! They love the games it had. Each letter makes a sound and has an animation. They think that's pretty neat! In fact that will keep them busy for a long period of time. Great for long car rides or drs visits. I think the letter sounds is a great overall feature, but it could use tweaking. Several of the sounds, sound alike causing confusion. I have had to correct my 3yr old a few times because the device really sounds like one letter when it should sound like another. Limitations, I know.

The device has great durability I will say! Between my 2 and 3 year old using it, it has withstood several mishaps and is still in great shape! I do wish there was a back light on the device, but for the most part that hasn't been a huge issue. I think it occurred to me once. Overall,I feel like my girls have learned from the device I just have to keep my ears open for some corrections.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.