Truck Reviews HPC Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

LeapFrog My Own Leaptop, Green
Color: Green|Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change
Price:$24.99 - $70.00

on June 19, 2017
Save your money and buy the old version on EBAY! I always read Amazon reviews before I purchase items, unless I am making a repeat purchase. When I bought this Leap Frog "My Own Leaptop" in June, 2017, I realized it was a newer version than the one I purchased in 2012, but I figured they would have simply made improvements upon the old model. Wow was I mistaken! I should have read the recent reviews by parents like myself who know how fantastic the old version of this toy is and how the new version pales in comparison. Don't waste your money on a new one. For the same price or less you can buy a vastly superior, used old version on EBAY (see what the old version looks like in my review photos). This is what I did and I will be returning the new model. We debated saving the $6 in return shipping cost to give the new version we bought to someone else as a gift, but decided we cannot in good conscience give an inferior toy to a friend. The old version requires that you download LeapFrog Connect software and connect the Leaptop to your computer. To do this you must have the LeapFrog "My Own Leaptop" USB connector cable (see last photo), internet access, a USB port, and Adobe Flash software (an easy, free download that the LeapFrog software prompts you to download if you don't have it). I still had my cable from the Leaptop I purchased five years ago so I didn't need to make sure the used one I purchased from EBAY had it. I bought the used leaptop shown in the photos for $8 with free shipping and no cable. It arrived today and with new batteries and my old cable I was able to reprogram each of the customizable features and now it's perfect! Below is a comparison of the personalized features of the old version and comparable features of the new version.

Old Version:
- Upon turning it on it says, "Hi [says your child's name]!"
- You can select one "sing along" song, and five melody songs for it to play, and it also plays a song spelling out your child's name
- When you push the "blog" button, it reads a blog entry and then asks your child [by name] about their day
- You can personalize three "email" messages by selecting text from a dropdown menu (you cannot type your own message) and entering the sender (e.g., "Grandma" or "Betsy"). The result is an interaction like this:
"You have an email from Mommy [or whomever you program in]. Let's read it! Dear [says your child's name], I love you so much [the message I chose]. Love, Mommy. Let's reply! Dear Mommy, I love you too. Love, [says your child's name]". So it simply reads an auto-generated "reply" and says it is from your child, rather than prompting them to "type a reply." The Leaptop also periodically prompts your child to push the email button, by asking, "Have you checked your email?"
- In the alphabet mode when your child pushes the first letter of their name it will switch between one of two results. One result is this announcement: "[First it names the letter.] That's the first letter of your name [says child's name]. Let's celebrate your letter! [Then it plays a fun little jingle.]" The second result is an announcement naming the letter, saying what sound it makes, naming the letter again and saying an animal that starts with that letter.

New Version:
- Upon turning it on it says, "Hi."
- You cannot select songs. You get what it comes with.
- There are no blog entries.
- When you select the "Messages" setting it literally says something like this:
"I have a message for you. Message: I spent all day... What's your favorite [game/place]?"
or "You have an email from me. Let's read it. Hi. Writing emails to you makes me happy. Love, [Scout or Violet, depending on whether you have the boy or girl version] Let's reply. Push the letter buttons to write your reply, then push the paw pad." When you do as instructed it says out loud each letter you push, and then says, "Well done," but that's it. So you could push, "JWZL," for example, and push the paw pad and that would be your email. It doesn't read the reply you type (which makes sense since most children will push letters randomly).
- There are no blog entries.
- In the alphabet mode when your child pushes the first letter of their name it will switch between one of two results. One result is this announcement: "[First it names the letter.] That's the first letter of your name [it shows child's name on screen, but does not say it]. Let's spell it! [Then it spells your child's name.]" The second result is an announcement naming the letter, saying what sound it makes, naming the letter again and saying an animal that starts with that letter.

We gave the Leaptop we purchased in 2012 to our son when he was 18 months old. He is now 6 and he still loves to play with it. Our daughter who is about to turn 3 enjoys playing with her brother's Leaptop so much we finally decided we should get her one of her own (hence our purchase and return of a new version on Amazon, and a satisfying purchase of a used old version on EBAY). Reasons why we like the old version follow. Both of our children really like singing and dancing to the music and playing at receiving and writing emails. They also get very excited about the blog entries. Neither one of them has ever been too enamored by the facts about animals (although they both are very interested in animals in general), with the exception of a few favorites. I do think the letter sounds have been valuable from an education standpoint for both of our children. The main reason our children, and in turn we ourselves, like the old version of this toy so much is because it engages them directly by name so frequently through the alphabet, music, email and blog modes. The new version simply acknowledges the first letter of their name and the spelling of their name, but never actually says their name. This makes it so much less personally engaging and since younger children do not always know how to spell their names, the new version may as well not be personalized at all for them since it never actually states their name. We brought our 2012 Leaptop every time we traveled with our son from about age 18 months to 3 years. His interest waned enough after that that we no longer brought it on travels, but it remains a much beloved toy for home use to this day. We are extremely confident that the used old version of the Leaptop we just bought our daughter is sure to be her new favorite toy.

I hope this review is helpful to parents considering buying a Leaptop. I cannot recommend the old version enough and I'm grateful there are people selling quite a few of them on EBAY. Just keep in mind to look for one that indicates it has been tested and is in good working order, and that it includes the cable if you don't have one already.
review imagereview image
177 people found this helpful
|66 comments|Report abuse
on December 16, 2016
Item was not as described, doesn't have the features they claim it to have. I don't keep toys unless they are good ones because I hate toy clutter ( you know the toys your kids pick up and put back down within seconds and it just becomes clutter instead of a toy) so I will be sending this back

*Okay so that was my original review. But I never got around to sending it back soooo it was wrapped and put under the Christmas tree anyway and I guess I can eat my words because my son loves it. He has the leap frog phone that is super awesome already so when he saw the leap top he was stoked. He is 3 and a half and just starting to understand that there are abcs and things so he likes to play with it. We did a bunch of traveling the week after Christmas and he played with it for the almost 3 hour car ride up and back the majority of the time. He grabs his leap top and his phone and plays "office" with them. His older cousins enjoyed messing with the thing as well. I'm talking 5, 9, and 11 year olds. I wasn't pleased that some of the features weren't as impressive as described but my son doesn't care. He likes it. A great toy for car rides or chill time. The volume had two levels and the lower level isn't annoying in the car. I'm tempted to buy another for my almost two year old to have for car rides, we travel a lot and I'm not ready to go for utter zombie children with a DVD player in the car yet so this is a good alternative. Overall I can't believe I'm saying it, I would recommend to a friend. It is small, has staying power(meaning he will play with it for good chunks of time) and it doesn't annoy the tar out of me so there you go, buy it. And especially buy the leap frog phone too, that thing is the best toy phone on the market right now. These two paired together are awesome, the leap top covers alphabet, the phone covers numbers and counting and is actually surprisingly more impressive then expected.
29 people found this helpful
on November 24, 2014
BEWARE! The current version DOES NOT have connectivity!!! I purchased this for my son in 2012 for the same price and he continues to enjoy it. It speaks his name - as well as the names of family members when he checks his "email". This version does NONE of that. You can type the name in - but it does not speak it. WHAT A SHAME. The previous version was so much better. Note that all the rave reviews are OLD!
197 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on October 4, 2017
I can't tell you how happy I am I decided to purchase this. This item was sitting in my Amazon list for months before I decided to go for it. My daughter is almost two but she's constantly busy and moving. If she's awake, she's on the go. She also loves music and pushing every button she can get a hand on so I wanted something that she could interact with but also learn from a little. This laptop is the perfect solution. She doesn't get access to it all the time, but when she does she loves it. It has a bunch of great songs she can listen to, the alphabet setting is very kid friendly and easy to hear, and it's very simple for her to use and operate. Already she is repeating some of the letters of the alphabet after she hits the button for it. It's great in the car because it keeps her occupied for a good amount of time but not bulky or too large.
8 people found this helpful
on May 14, 2017
I have purchased this item twice in the last year. Both times they stopped working within a few months. Very frustrating because my twin grandchildren (15 months old) love and fight over this item because of the music it plays. How many to I have to purchase to get one that will last 6 months??
6 people found this helpful
on June 2, 2017
The display is very very low. I cannot make out what's going on on the display when I placed the display directly to the light, opposite to the light, placed to the either side of the light. The picture placed for the item shows the display as bright enough but that's not correct, hence returning the item.
5 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on August 18, 2017
I got this for my 1 y/o toddler a year ago. This is a perfect introduction to ABCs for babies. My son has been playing this ever since he was 12months. Simple buttons. Not much going on. Just simple ABCs, its sound and an animal each letter represents. I can honestly say this is where he learned his ABCs. He got familiarized with all the letters and its sound and knows his ABCs before he even turned 2. Fairly durable. He has thrown it around many times and it is still intact! The sound did go out after a year. But I think he may have spilled juice on it. I opened it up and fixed it by putting a coin on that circuit giving it sound. I noticed the sound would come back on when I'd press on it so I put a quarter on it and fixed it right up! lol I do wish the screen/visuals is a little bit better. I did see a newer version of this laptop recently and the screen is colored... still crappy graphics. About $6 more than this...
Overall, Highly recommended. This is a perfect "laptop" for babies. They do not need a smart phones or tablets at this young age. MAYBE a very limited time when needed. It really does give it a negative effect on them. I've seen it with mine.
Also, I might add... If you are wondering about this vs the VTech laptop (which I just recently acquired as well for my now 2 year old) to buy to a one year old todd, I'd buy this first. The VTech one is more like an advanced version. more like for 2.5 ot 3 yo. :)
2 people found this helpful
on May 11, 2017
Okay, with buying hundreds of baby toys now, I usually rate based on overall value. Considering things like price, quality, educational value, how much my daughter will use it, features to keep it interesting, etc... This is an excellent purchase! My daughter is almost 1.5 and very into pointing to things to learn what they are. This toy was so cheap, very educational, great quality overall. There are features she can grow into and features she can enjoy now. I would highly recommend this toy! Probably one of the best purchases I have made in a long time.
3 people found this helpful
on August 14, 2016
After having this for just over three months, most of the keys and the paw pad don't work. I checked the warranty, and of course it was a limited 3 month one. Very disappointed. My son will miss the songs and games, but I can't justify buy something that stops working after three months again.
8 people found this helpful
on May 13, 2017
We have now gone through two of these. They are great, but die after a few months. The sounds completely disappears.
5 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.