Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Magazine Deals Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

LeapFrog My Own Leaptop, Green
Color: Green|Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change

on June 19, 2017
Save your money and buy the old version on EBAY! I always read Amazon reviews before I purchase items, unless I am making a repeat purchase. When I bought this Leap Frog "My Own Leaptop" in June, 2017, I realized it was a newer version than the one I purchased in 2012, but I figured they would have simply made improvements upon the old model. Wow was I mistaken! I should have read the recent reviews by parents like myself who know how fantastic the old version of this toy is and how the new version pales in comparison. Don't waste your money on a new one. For the same price or less you can buy a vastly superior, used old version on EBAY (see what the old version looks like in my review photos). This is what I did and I will be returning the new model. We debated saving the $6 in return shipping cost to give the new version we bought to someone else as a gift, but decided we cannot in good conscience give an inferior toy to a friend. The old version requires that you download LeapFrog Connect software and connect the Leaptop to your computer. To do this you must have the LeapFrog "My Own Leaptop" USB connector cable (see last photo), internet access, a USB port, and Adobe Flash software (an easy, free download that the LeapFrog software prompts you to download if you don't have it). I still had my cable from the Leaptop I purchased five years ago so I didn't need to make sure the used one I purchased from EBAY had it. I bought the used leaptop shown in the photos for $8 with free shipping and no cable. It arrived today and with new batteries and my old cable I was able to reprogram each of the customizable features and now it's perfect! Below is a comparison of the personalized features of the old version and comparable features of the new version.

Old Version:
- Upon turning it on it says, "Hi [says your child's name]!"
- You can select one "sing along" song, and five melody songs for it to play, and it also plays a song spelling out your child's name
- When you push the "blog" button, it reads a blog entry and then asks your child [by name] about their day
- You can personalize three "email" messages by selecting text from a dropdown menu (you cannot type your own message) and entering the sender (e.g., "Grandma" or "Betsy"). The result is an interaction like this:
"You have an email from Mommy [or whomever you program in]. Let's read it! Dear [says your child's name], I love you so much [the message I chose]. Love, Mommy. Let's reply! Dear Mommy, I love you too. Love, [says your child's name]". So it simply reads an auto-generated "reply" and says it is from your child, rather than prompting them to "type a reply." The Leaptop also periodically prompts your child to push the email button, by asking, "Have you checked your email?"
- In the alphabet mode when your child pushes the first letter of their name it will switch between one of two results. One result is this announcement: "[First it names the letter.] That's the first letter of your name [says child's name]. Let's celebrate your letter! [Then it plays a fun little jingle.]" The second result is an announcement naming the letter, saying what sound it makes, naming the letter again and saying an animal that starts with that letter.

New Version:
- Upon turning it on it says, "Hi."
- You cannot select songs. You get what it comes with.
- There are no blog entries.
- When you select the "Messages" setting it literally says something like this:
"I have a message for you. Message: I spent all day... What's your favorite [game/place]?"
or "You have an email from me. Let's read it. Hi. Writing emails to you makes me happy. Love, [Scout or Violet, depending on whether you have the boy or girl version] Let's reply. Push the letter buttons to write your reply, then push the paw pad." When you do as instructed it says out loud each letter you push, and then says, "Well done," but that's it. So you could push, "JWZL," for example, and push the paw pad and that would be your email. It doesn't read the reply you type (which makes sense since most children will push letters randomly).
- There are no blog entries.
- In the alphabet mode when your child pushes the first letter of their name it will switch between one of two results. One result is this announcement: "[First it names the letter.] That's the first letter of your name [it shows child's name on screen, but does not say it]. Let's spell it! [Then it spells your child's name.]" The second result is an announcement naming the letter, saying what sound it makes, naming the letter again and saying an animal that starts with that letter.

We gave the Leaptop we purchased in 2012 to our son when he was 18 months old. He is now 6 and he still loves to play with it. Our daughter who is about to turn 3 enjoys playing with her brother's Leaptop so much we finally decided we should get her one of her own (hence our purchase and return of a new version on Amazon, and a satisfying purchase of a used old version on EBAY). Reasons why we like the old version follow. Both of our children really like singing and dancing to the music and playing at receiving and writing emails. They also get very excited about the blog entries. Neither one of them has ever been too enamored by the facts about animals (although they both are very interested in animals in general), with the exception of a few favorites. I do think the letter sounds have been valuable from an education standpoint for both of our children. The main reason our children, and in turn we ourselves, like the old version of this toy so much is because it engages them directly by name so frequently through the alphabet, music, email and blog modes. The new version simply acknowledges the first letter of their name and the spelling of their name, but never actually says their name. This makes it so much less personally engaging and since younger children do not always know how to spell their names, the new version may as well not be personalized at all for them since it never actually states their name. We brought our 2012 Leaptop every time we traveled with our son from about age 18 months to 3 years. His interest waned enough after that that we no longer brought it on travels, but it remains a much beloved toy for home use to this day. We are extremely confident that the used old version of the Leaptop we just bought our daughter is sure to be her new favorite toy.

I hope this review is helpful to parents considering buying a Leaptop. I cannot recommend the old version enough and I'm grateful there are people selling quite a few of them on EBAY. Just keep in mind to look for one that indicates it has been tested and is in good working order, and that it includes the cable if you don't have one already.
review imagereview image
50 helpful votes
51 helpful votes
on May 24, 2017
I am so happy I went ahead and ordered this for my 2 year old.... it is a total hit with her & she plays with it daily.

I was a little skeptical because I was not sure she would like the black and white screen and the fact that the recommended age is 3 and up.

Well☺ she likes the screen and it is really easy for her to use even at 24 months . One of the games has pictures of animals on the screen and asks the her to find the letter on the keyboard that the animal word starts with and she actually is getting about 80% of them correct.

She loves her own leaptop! It also has 26 fun critter animations and she likes pretending to exchange emails with scout and violet.

This is helping to teach her the alphabet, spell her name, learn letters and animal names - plus has sing along with 16 songs and melodies.

I am giving this 4 stars instead of 5 because I feel the screen is not bright enough.

I have also included a photo and hope you have found my review helpful*☺
review image
39 helpful votes
40 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on November 24, 2014
BEWARE! The current version DOES NOT have connectivity!!! I purchased this for my son in 2012 for the same price and he continues to enjoy it. It speaks his name - as well as the names of family members when he checks his "email". This version does NONE of that. You can type the name in - but it does not speak it. WHAT A SHAME. The previous version was so much better. Note that all the rave reviews are OLD!
166 helpful votes
167 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
on November 20, 2013
We purchased this item a few years ago, for our first daughter, who quickly added it to her favourites list. Now, we've purchased it again for our younger daughter, now 2 yrs old. It is an excellent toy for toddlers and preschoolers, and my kids have never tired of it - now 4 years later. It does all sorts of neat things, after you program it connected to your computer. You imput all of your kid's information, and it incorporates that into what it does. For example, you fill in child's name, your name, and a message. THen, it does a little musical thing and says "Kelly, you've got an email from Mom!" It goes on to say whatever you've chosen as the message for the child. Then, the child can reply by pressing a button. My kids all love it - we had the green one as well, and a day did not pass that they did not play with them. Now, our younger two are old enough for them, so we are repurchasing them because they were so popular with our other ones...I highly recommend this toy!
on November 12, 2016
Limited in what it can do. I was looking for games, like matching, etc. Fun ways to teach to very young children, but basically, it only teaches alphabet and sounds. That is it and there are many more fun tools out there for that.
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on December 31, 2016
I purchased this computer for my 2 year old niece for a present. I was very impressed with the quality of the item. The on/off button is large enough and easy to slide. My niece was able to turn the computer on and off with no problems. The keys are easy to press and there is a large variety of learning games on this computer. The top folds down easily for easy storage and the handle is large enough that even an adult can carry it.
on December 14, 2011
1 1/2 yr old loves it!

I originally purchased this about 4 months ago from another place. I then recently bought it again from amazon since we think our daughter left it somewhere.

My daughter was 16 months old when it was originally bought and loved it.

It was very easy for her to work everything and lightweight enough for her to carry around.

We left this in our minivan as an alternative toy after she started throwing her books and needed something to occupy her time on longer drives.

We love that it can be personalized to your kids name as well as emails can be personalized from mommy,daddy, or another relative or another persons name.

With the one we just bought from amazon we put one of the emails "from" our daughters little brother. It is too cute! She always smiles when she hears she got an email from him.

We also purchased a similar product from vtech which I have provided the amazon link for. Vtech Preschool Learning Tote and Go Laptop - 2010 Version

I believe that product is more for older kids so if you have a youger child this laptop would be better. Both products will continue to provide educational enjoyment for your child as they age, however the vtech product is more suited for older (it does say 3 and up on it)kids.
2 helpful votes
on July 12, 2017
This is my 2nd purchase of this little computer. My boy love it. I had to buy a second computer because my oldest decided to huck it across the room like a football smashing it into the desk. The screen busted just like a normal laptop. This give some concerns over durability over tis childs toy but also really isn't all that unexpected result. Since receiving this new one my 2 year old can nearly count to ten and likes to sing along with the puppy and gets a great deal of enjoyment out of it.
VINE VOICEon August 26, 2010
I have three boys, ages 3,5, and 6. They are all in various stages of learning to read...they all enjoy this, but my three year old cannot get enough of it. He jealously guards it, keeping it away from the other two kids, and he arried it around with him...he has learned his alphabet, and now he is learning the sounds the alphabet makes. I thought this would be an OK toy at best, but it has been a huge success story in my house...so much so, that I had to order two more so that hte other boys would have a chance to play with it as well! Even my 6 year old really likes it. Another good product from leap frog. I'm not sure how long this will last though, and I'm worried that my very rough boys will break it. We have had it about 3 weeks or so and it has survived, but I worry about the screen. Anyway, great toy, inexpensive enough that I will probably even buy another one if it does break! THat is how much my boys like it.
307 helpful votes
308 helpful votes
33 comments|Report abuse
on December 27, 2012
My 2.5 year old loves this! She likes to sit at the kitchen counter and type on her leaptop while I am checking my email on the netbook. She is learning some of the alphabet sounds and other things from it too. But beware - it is for a toddler, so the sounds of the letters are limited, as are the options. But at 2.5, too many options is actually a bad thing. So far the product has proven very durable and easy to clean. Downsides include a ridiculously large installation software to personalize 3 emails and one song for her. But really, with the other things on here, she doesn't need that much personalization. Some of her friends in nursery school got the leap pad. But it is way too advanced for a 2 year old. Even if she does like the games on the leap pad, what happened with her friends is that it got cracked, broken, the cards for the games got lost, etc. She just isn't ready for that yet. The leap pad says it is for 5 and up, and it really, truly is. She does great with this and I will be upgrading to the leap pad when she is old enough not to lose or damage it. Highly recommend this for toddlers.
0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.