Workplace Solutions Editors' Holiday Gift Picks Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Our Best Wines Holiday Savings with 1¢ Shipping Gifts for Him Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services pet pet pet  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis bourne Shop Now

Color: Scout|Change

Showing 1-10 of 758 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on February 8, 2011
My son just turned 2 years old, and he loves playing with phones, remote controls, computers, etc. He is not easily fooled when I try to give him an "imitation" toy in place of the real thing (ex. - giving him a toy cell phone in place of my real cell phone). I bought this phone in the hopes that it would entertain him while making him think he was using a real phone.

Much to my delight, this phone has FAR exceeded my expectations! My son now has learned to count from 0 to 10 just from playing with this phone! He can sit for long periods of time and play with this phone. He even insists on sleeping with it now! It has a wonderful song button which has several educational, catchy tunes on it. There is another button that makes the phone sound like it is ringing and the little dog character talks as though he is on the phone. Each number button says its number and then gives an example like, "let's count five flowers" and the voice counts along with cute graphics. Seriously, my son only knew the number 9 before getting this phone, and within a week he could count with the phone! It is amazing. Also, when we go places and I want him to be entertained with a toy, this is the best toy he owns. It entertains him for long periods of time, and he does seem to think it is a real phone, or at least resembles a real phone enough to satisfy him.

I highly recommend this phone to anyone with a toddler. It is one of the best toys I've ever bought for my son. I love that it is both educational AND fun!
on March 2, 2010
The manufacturer's age range is up to 5 years old, but this toy is definitely not fun or a challenge for my 4 year old, who is even behind his age targets. It plays the same 10-12 songs over and over again, depending on which buttons you push. If it wasn't such a pain to send it back, I would. I could see it being worthwhile for up to 3 though- the visual and auditory repetition of the numbers probably does help kids learn their numbers.
55 comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 21, 2011
I've bought a lot of Leapfrog toys over the last couple of years. They are always durable and fun. And, this phone is no exception.
My daughter loves this thing. She likes it more than all of her other toys (and she has the Leapfrog computer, talking dog, etc.). But, this little phone (which is the least expensive of the Leapfrog toys) makes her so happy. Plus, she really is learning her numbers from it. I'm so impressed with it. I would suggest anyone buy this, it's such a good buy considering how much play my child has been able to get out of it already. She carries it around and 'talks' to people on it and counts along with Violet... She even asks for the toy buy name ("phoe" is what she currently calls it).
on May 15, 2012
My baby just can't enough of my cell phone so I thought I would give this a try before she destroys mine. Unfortunately it is no replacement for her wanting to play with my cell phone because the face nor the keys light up. If the screen and keys lit up I think it would have had a chance because it does have buttons and they have a nice button feel to them that she likes to press for a few minutes but she gets bored because it does not look like it is doing anything. In a dimly lit room you can't even see the monchrome graphics on the screen. I also thought from the description it might call and interact with her Violet LeapFrog dog(on of her favorite toys) but it doesn't. What it means by send of receive messages from Violet is that it plays pretend prerecorded messages from violet but the voice isn't even that great of a match. I am not saying I hate this toy or feel ripped off but I think LeapFrog(one of my favorite baby toy companies) would do well to make it so that the screen and keys light up. It it would be REALLY cool if it actually did send a RF or IR messages that wake Violet the dog up and respond in some way and would gladly pay the extra money for that feature. There is still totally room in the market for a good cell phone for baby's because I am quite sure my baby is not the only one who I have to pry mine out of her hand before she destroys it :)
on October 29, 2013
My son loved this phone, but unfortunately after only a few months with it, the sound no longer worked. I contacted Leapfrog since the return window was closed and their great resolution was change the batteries (which I had already done, duh), clean the connectors, and if that doesn't work, here is a 20% off coupon for Leapfrog.com. Uh no thanks. My husband took it apart and a wire has come loose and needs to be soldered back together. I have been tempted to buy another one since my little guy loved it so much, but if Leapfrog doesn't stand behind their products, maybe I'll check out the vtech toy next time.
on September 29, 2016
Every baby and toddler I know loves this Leap Frog counting phone. I bought it for my baby and 3 months later, she is still playing with it almost every day. She loves to press all the buttons, look at the moving images on the screen, and hold the phone up to her face and ear in imitation of mommy and daddy. Her older toddler friends who come over also play with it, and clearly engage more with it by singing and counting along. The phone itself is a bit heavy for a younger baby (my baby kept dropping it at 7 months, but can carry it firmly now at 10 months), the screen is black and gray (would be more fun if it was in color), and has two sound settings. The louder setting is clear and easy to hear. I like that it is a very portable toy I can just throw into my diaper bag. All in all, it was a good purchase for our family.
on February 22, 2014
Just received in the mail this Leapfrog Chat Cell Phone for my 6 month old that is obsessed with reaching and snatching my iPhone whenever possible. Had to rush and write a review because he absolutely loved it as soon as I handed it to him. He literally kept shrieking of happiness and amazement! He loves pushing the buttons and listening to the sounds coming out of it. I also think the green light on the screen is definitely a plus to grab the little one's attention! There are numbers 0-9 on the phone and also a green call button and a musical note button. Each time you press a number it'll say: "1, One Puppy", "2, Two Puppy Biscuits", "3, Three Flowers".. And so on. In addition to saying that, it shows an animation for each saying. (e.g: animation of a puppy when your press the # 1, two biscuits when you press the # 2, three flowers when you press the #3, ect.) The musical note plays songs and the green call button rings and says hello and a small convo (I've heard 5 different versions each time pressed, probably has more) It is a little on the bulky side but my 6 month old can hold on to it just fine. I would definitely recommend this toy, I see it coming very handy whenever he's bored or needs some distracting. He's so into it!
P.s: I know it says the appropriate age says 18+ months but I actually didn't notice that until I opened the box lol it's definitely appropriate for him though so no worries here :)
on October 25, 2012
this is my daughter's favorite 1st birthday gift. she carried it everywhere with her. but, she dropped it 2 times (on the carpet and from not very high up) and it doesn't make noise anymore. she'll still pick it up once in a while, but for what it cost and the fact that's it's a kids toy, you think it would hold up. it doesn't.
on October 8, 2015
My kids love this phone! It's a perfect size for little hands to handle. It's also the perfect size to keep in your purse, so you can keep it with you at all times and have a toy available to entertain kids in the car, in a stroller or even at dinner. The colors on the screen keep them interested and the music and sounds also keep them entertained. I love that this toy has a volume control and off switch. It makes it a good toy for on-the-go! My kids love the violet and scout leap frog characters so this toy is a big hit in our house!
on July 14, 2015
This is a great little play phone that my toddler does enjoy. The only thing I have to say that I don't enjoy about it is when she's left it on my bedroom floor and I accidentally step on it in the middle of the night. Resulting in the light blasting my eyes, and the noise going on which leaves me feeling startled. Even worse is that it'll just ring for a little bit to get your attention before giving up. Not exactly the best thing in the middle of the night. ;)

Other than the freaky 'mom is tired and this dang toy just went off' it's a great toy and I'm glad she enjoys it.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.