Industrial Deals HPC Magazine Deals Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win STEM Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  All-new Echo Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop now HTL17_gno

on November 16, 2013
We purchased this for our daughter for her second birthday, last week, and she loves this! She has played with it LOADS over the last week - every day. All of our kids (even as old as 7 yrs) love this, and they have played with this tons each day. Our 2 yr old has used it as it is intended, as well as coming up with creative ways to play with it (i.e. using the top piece as a phone). Our son enjoys using the base to "scoop" the letters up, and they all enjoy the songs and rhymes on it...this was an excellent choice for our daughter and we're glad we discovered it in time! I highly recommend. The only downside is that Tad doesn't sing the alphabet correctly on it...he sings the whole thing until the end, but doesn't do the ending that everyone knows "next time won't you sing with me" part...other than that, it's a great toy and has entertained four kids all week...also, I am now hearing my baby saying the letters and sounds they make, so definitely educational...
on December 11, 2015
I purchased this for my twin girls at age 2 to begin familiarizing them with letters. This is one of the few toys that we have had for awhile but still love. At first it was a bit tough for them to put the letter into the reader, now they don't have any problems. My girls (now 3 1/2) love to insert the letters into the top and hear the phonetic sounds. Of course they love to sing and dance to the song it plays too! This educational toy has been extremely helpful as they have become older. They know most letters but hearing the associated phonetic sound really helps them link the name of the letter with the actual sound it makes. They also like to lay the letters on the floor and 'find' the letter I ask them to find. Sometimes the top is a bit tough to snap on the container. This is the only reason I gave this product 4 stars.
on March 3, 2013
I purchased these for my twin 3-year-old nieces because they love playing with our original version (the Fridge Phonics) whenever they come to visit.

Pros:
1) Good quality
2) Fun sounds/music
3) Really work well to teach children the letters and the sounds they make
4) Bucket is nice for storing the toy

Cons:
1) I actually prefer the Fridge version. My 5 and 6 year old boys and now my 15 month old baby all have played with it a ton on the fridge in the last few years. I credit it with really helping them learn their letters and sounds. And the batteries have lasted FOREVER. It's nice for them to play with while I'm in the kitchen.

This bucket version is pretty much exactly the same as the old Fridge version that we have, but it doesn't stick to the fridge. Because of that, I can imagine they will probably lose some of the letters. But the music, the way it works, and the quality are otherwise the same as our old version, so that's why I gave it 4 stars. I hope this helps!
22 comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 26, 2017
This is a great product for introducing letters and sounds to your child and to help them learn. It has quite a few features, since it makes multiple sounds for the letters that can be sounded differently depending what would they're used in, and has a cute song for each letter. It also sings the alphabet. The volume switch is a nice feature for parents as well, since it can be turned off completely, or set to low or high volume.
on December 27, 2013
The Letter Factory helped me teach all 3 of my kids to read, and now that I have another toddler in my life, Leapfrog was my first thought when it came to a Christmas gift for him.
My kids had a similar toy to this, but it was magnetic. The letters and the letter holder all stuck to the fridge. This version includes a bucket to put the letters in and the letter holder is also the lid. I will say, the letters are not as solid as the ones that came with the magnetic set. I expected this from reading other reviews though. They appear to be sturdy enough though. We had it out with the little guy on Christmas day and he was wearing tennis shoes on my wood floor and sometimes accidently stepping on the letters he had scattered on the floor, and they did not appear to be in any danger of being damaged. He enjoyed the letter songs and the ABC song as my kids did a dozen years or so ago.
on May 9, 2014
So you may love these if you never used or bought the fridge ABC set.

I used to own the magnetic set and they were quality and great! Held up for many kids throughout my family and ended up at my sisters house... so I thought I'd be kind. I let her keep them and bought a "replacement'... WRONG!

These are cheaply made and horrible in comparison. The lid doesn't like staying on and the plastic pieces are hollow and feel like they cost one cent to make the whole set! I hate these!
on January 7, 2016
Worked perfectly... We love, love, love everything Leapfrog. Started on the movies and went to the Leapfrog tag and Leapfrog pen book readers and now have pretty much anything Leapfrog. I always tell family get them anything that can help them to learn. I always have Leapfrog stuff in the back of my head when I say this. That being said I was disappointed to find when I bought 3 of these to plaster the fridge with that they were not magnetic like the previous one I had bought. Keep this one to put in my daughter's crib though. She loves the ABC song sung by Leap. We have had this for a couple years now and it's still runs great.
on February 3, 2014
This toy did not disappoint at all. I made the purchase for my 21 month old. His motor skills are improving every time as he is getting more letters into the compartment by himself, and he now knows some letters of the alphabet after playing with it for three months. He does not play with it everyday, so the fact that approximtely 4 out of 7 days he would play with it, yet now knows letters in the alphabet, is just superb to me! I cannot say how grateful I am for the volume control it has!! people who make toys without volume control are crazy!! so i'm happy to know that there are sane people in this word...lol.
All in all, this toy - maintains my child's interest
- teaches him not only the letters of the alphabet, but the sounds of the alphabet
- plays the alphabet song in a very catchy rhythmic fashion
- has volume control
- has been thrown and tossed and still functions perfectly
- came packaged lightly and neatly (mine had in its battery)
- can be easily cleaned.
I would definitely recommend and have already did. My sister bought it for a 15 month old, and though younger than my child, he is interested in this toy too!!
on October 8, 2014
This was purchased for a 2yr old birthday boy. I am delighted the parents and guests continuously commented what a great idea. I was told the child plays with it everyday. The parents and some of the guests are educators and they are going to add this item to their gift-giving. This is very satisfying not knowing the child well enough to know what he likes and/or has. So I am pleased I made the right selection for a gift.
on December 2, 2014
What a horribly noisy toy that teaches my kid his letters for me.

What a horribly entertaining toy that my son won't stop playing with.

What a horribly useful toy. now my son knows his letters and won't stop saying them all the time.

What a horribly painful toy when you step on them in the middle of the night because your son left them out and won't let you put them away before bedtime.

What a horribly wonderful educational device disguised as a toy.

We love it.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.