Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 521 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 558 reviews
on November 16, 2013
We purchased this for our daughter for her second birthday, last week, and she loves this! She has played with it LOADS over the last week - every day. All of our kids (even as old as 7 yrs) love this, and they have played with this tons each day. Our 2 yr old has used it as it is intended, as well as coming up with creative ways to play with it (i.e. using the top piece as a phone). Our son enjoys using the base to "scoop" the letters up, and they all enjoy the songs and rhymes on it...this was an excellent choice for our daughter and we're glad we discovered it in time! I highly recommend. The only downside is that Tad doesn't sing the alphabet correctly on it...he sings the whole thing until the end, but doesn't do the ending that everyone knows "next time won't you sing with me" part...other than that, it's a great toy and has entertained four kids all week...also, I am now hearing my baby saying the letters and sounds they make, so definitely educational...
on December 30, 2013
I wanted something to really nail down the letter sounds for my eager to learn toddler. Having had some experience with other Leap Frog Alphabet toys (I was a nanny for a while, and worked in daycares for even longer) I knew what I was ordering. I was really happy to see that it was available with the storage for the letters, as they always seemed to be scattered everywhere. A few things that I have noticed about this ...

1 - The letters are a bit ... lighter and not as substantial as the older Leap Frog alphabet sets I've had experience with. They are, by far not chinsy or cheap, they are sturdy ... just lighter than I remember them being. Because of this, I don't know if they would be compatible with the older sets ... just a thought.

2 - The lid makes it a bit top heavy ... not a HUGE problem but .....

3 - The lid doesn't really lock on well. This is a positive, and a negative. I like that my daughter can easily get them out whenever she wants to and I'm not having to help her open them up. However, I wish it did lock in a bit better to prevent the lid from popping off and letters scattering everywhere at the slightest bump.

4 - The base stores the letters ... which is AWESOME! But there isn't a GPS installed in the letters to find them when they do scatter,wish there was some sort of magnetic clean up button to draw them in, because as an anal retentive mother, I am always dumping them out every night to make sure that A - Z are all there ... they usually aren't. The letters like to hide under the couch, in case you end up with missing letters -- check there first.

Overall, it is a great buy, and I'm thrilled to have it in the house. My toddler loves it. I love it. My hubs loves it. And any future siblings are going to love it. :)
on December 11, 2015
I purchased this for my twin girls at age 2 to begin familiarizing them with letters. This is one of the few toys that we have had for awhile but still love. At first it was a bit tough for them to put the letter into the reader, now they don't have any problems. My girls (now 3 1/2) love to insert the letters into the top and hear the phonetic sounds. Of course they love to sing and dance to the song it plays too! This educational toy has been extremely helpful as they have become older. They know most letters but hearing the associated phonetic sound really helps them link the name of the letter with the actual sound it makes. They also like to lay the letters on the floor and 'find' the letter I ask them to find. Sometimes the top is a bit tough to snap on the container. This is the only reason I gave this product 4 stars.
on March 3, 2013
I purchased these for my twin 3-year-old nieces because they love playing with our original version (the Fridge Phonics) whenever they come to visit.

Pros:
1) Good quality
2) Fun sounds/music
3) Really work well to teach children the letters and the sounds they make
4) Bucket is nice for storing the toy

Cons:
1) I actually prefer the Fridge version. My 5 and 6 year old boys and now my 15 month old baby all have played with it a ton on the fridge in the last few years. I credit it with really helping them learn their letters and sounds. And the batteries have lasted FOREVER. It's nice for them to play with while I'm in the kitchen.

This bucket version is pretty much exactly the same as the old Fridge version that we have, but it doesn't stick to the fridge. Because of that, I can imagine they will probably lose some of the letters. But the music, the way it works, and the quality are otherwise the same as our old version, so that's why I gave it 4 stars. I hope this helps!
22 comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 24, 2014
I bought this for my 18 month old daughter to help her start learning her alphabet. She really likes the top part of the toy which plays music and says what noise each letter makes when you plug the letters into the little opening on the lid. However, the lid does not stay on the bucket unless the handle is raised (pretty much never). Apparently it's a great deal of fun to dump all 26 letters out all over the floor over and over again (well fun for an 18 month old - not a grown up). I am finding the letters everywhere - under furniture, in the toy box, inside other toys - you name it. So it's a bit of a hot mess right now. Oh, and the letters do NOT feel good when you step on them. So overall it's a good toy that she likes and she enjoys pressing the yellow button and hearing the ABC song (over and over and over and over again). But I think I will have to put it away until she is a little older and gets over her "I like to dump everything out on the floor" phase. Might be best for a child at least 24 months or older.
on December 27, 2013
The Letter Factory helped me teach all 3 of my kids to read, and now that I have another toddler in my life, Leapfrog was my first thought when it came to a Christmas gift for him.
My kids had a similar toy to this, but it was magnetic. The letters and the letter holder all stuck to the fridge. This version includes a bucket to put the letters in and the letter holder is also the lid. I will say, the letters are not as solid as the ones that came with the magnetic set. I expected this from reading other reviews though. They appear to be sturdy enough though. We had it out with the little guy on Christmas day and he was wearing tennis shoes on my wood floor and sometimes accidently stepping on the letters he had scattered on the floor, and they did not appear to be in any danger of being damaged. He enjoyed the letter songs and the ABC song as my kids did a dozen years or so ago.
on May 9, 2014
So you may love these if you never used or bought the fridge ABC set.

I used to own the magnetic set and they were quality and great! Held up for many kids throughout my family and ended up at my sisters house... so I thought I'd be kind. I let her keep them and bought a "replacement'... WRONG!

These are cheaply made and horrible in comparison. The lid doesn't like staying on and the plastic pieces are hollow and feel like they cost one cent to make the whole set! I hate these!
on January 7, 2016
Worked perfectly... We love, love, love everything Leapfrog. Started on the movies and went to the Leapfrog tag and Leapfrog pen book readers and now have pretty much anything Leapfrog. I always tell family get them anything that can help them to learn. I always have Leapfrog stuff in the back of my head when I say this. That being said I was disappointed to find when I bought 3 of these to plaster the fridge with that they were not magnetic like the previous one I had bought. Keep this one to put in my daughter's crib though. She loves the ABC song sung by Leap. We have had this for a couple years now and it's still runs great.
on February 7, 2014
I bought this for my 2 year old son and I swear, he knows all his alphabet thanks to this toy. He absolutely loves it and will sit for 20-30 minutes at a time (that is LONG for a little boy) and try the different letters and repeat after the toy. I like how the top comes off and is small enough for him to carry around (he will run over to me with it and show me the letter he is learning). The bucket bottom stores all the letters and then when the handle is pulled up over the top, it sort of locks the top on so if it knocks over, the top doesn't come off. The letters are not magnetic, this is not a fridge toy, but I have a stainless fridge, so I didn't want that anyway (wouldn't stick to stainless). Simple, cheap and exactly what I was looking for!
on February 3, 2014
This toy did not disappoint at all. I made the purchase for my 21 month old. His motor skills are improving every time as he is getting more letters into the compartment by himself, and he now knows some letters of the alphabet after playing with it for three months. He does not play with it everyday, so the fact that approximtely 4 out of 7 days he would play with it, yet now knows letters in the alphabet, is just superb to me! I cannot say how grateful I am for the volume control it has!! people who make toys without volume control are crazy!! so i'm happy to know that there are sane people in this word...lol.
All in all, this toy - maintains my child's interest
- teaches him not only the letters of the alphabet, but the sounds of the alphabet
- plays the alphabet song in a very catchy rhythmic fashion
- has volume control
- has been thrown and tossed and still functions perfectly
- came packaged lightly and neatly (mine had in its battery)
- can be easily cleaned.
I would definitely recommend and have already did. My sister bought it for a 15 month old, and though younger than my child, he is interested in this toy too!!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.