Industrial Deals Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on May 11, 2012
To those of you looking for a current review and to answer some questions, I wanted to make a few comments. First of all, as many other reviewers have mentioned in their five star ratings and to answer some of you that have left one or two star ratings, this is an AC Adapter, as mentioned in the product description and the box itself. This is not a charger, not a docking station. This is merely an electrical plug that works with the Leap Frog products. Whether you have rechargable batteries or not, this item is not intended to charge those. This is to be plugged in while using the unit, as you would a television. If you want a portable unit, put in the batteries. We use this ac adapter when we are at home, since most kids sit in one place while using these toys, it is no problem to plug it into the nearest outlet. We put in fresh batteries when we head to an airport or when we are in the car. That being said, the second issue, which actually made me wonder whether to order this or not, is whether it works for the LeapPad or Leapster Explorer units. It does. In fact, the version we received is exactly as shown - a white adapter with a rounded/domed plug - and the box actually says on the front and back that it works for ALL Leapster Learning Systems - explicitly stating that it includes the Leapster Explorer and the LeapPad Explorer. We have a Leapster 2 as well as the LeapPad and this works for both of them. Why the product description mentions that it isn't compatible with the Explorer systems, I do not know. The only reason I can think of is that Leap Frog has updated this item since it originally appeared and now includes those systems. Of course, what you receive could always vary from what someone else received, but we just got ours this week (May 6, 2012) and the pictured item is what we recieved, even if the description doesn't match. As far as I am concerned, this is a very fair price for an electrical alternative to batteries, especially if it works for all the units Leap Frog now makes. Oh and one last answer that I couldn't find before I ordered it - the cord length is 6.5 feet (78 inches).
11 comment| 262 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 31, 2016
This adapter does not keep the leap pad powered on. This was purchased after the rechargeable battery pack died and our old AC adapter could not keep the leap pad on. I purchased a new adapter thinking that maybe there was a problem with my old one but nope. They both cannot keep the game on long enough for my son to get any use out of it. I think there is a major design flaw if I need to have both the battery pack and adaptor for anything to work. What a huge disappointment and waste of money getting a leap pad in the first place.
I do not recommend any of their products!
on July 21, 2016
This charger works great. If you are using regular batteries in your leappad, you will need the keep it plugged in. If you have the leappad battery pack, it will charge it and there is no need to keep it plugged in. I have included a picture of what this battery pack looks like because my leappad happen to come with it and I didn't know some do not. The other reviews talking about needing to have it plugged in at all times confused me until I realized the difference. If you open the battery compartment and see this piece, no need to keep it plugged in while playing. Glad I found a replacement cord. I'd be replacing batteries constantly!
review image
Top Contributor: Crocheton September 4, 2015
I bought this for my daughter's LeapPad 2 Explorer because she loves playing with it at home, so I figured instead of draining out batteries she could play with it at home (on plugging into an outlet at the airport, as we do travel a lot)... now the only time that I put batteries in the LeapPad is when we're in a long car ride or on the plane.

Looks just like the picture, was a very affordable price, came within a few days of ordering - everything was brand new and boxed and sealed. The cord was also a good length, she plugs it in and plays with it in bed. This doesn't charge up the LeapPad or batteries, this merely allows the LeapPad to be powered on via an outlet connection so that you don't have to use batteries.
on July 29, 2016
I found this cord to be an absolute MUST when my daughter got her LeapPad2. Changing out batteries to the LeapPad2 every few days was not only a huge hassle, but also SUPER expensive. Save yourself some time and money by getting this LeapFrog AC Adapter. Some may not like the fact that your child is tethered to an outlet, but I didn't totally mind this, at least I could keep track of the expensive gaming device I trusted in my daughters care. Some might complain that you can't use this in a car or on the go, which is true, but I ended up getting a car adapter for that also. You might think it's a lot of money to spend on a cord, but I shudder to think about the amount of batteries that my daughter would have gone through in the last two years had she not had this cord. I feel like I definitely got my money's worth out of this Adapter.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
This ac adapter saves you a ton of money in the long run.

LeapPads eat batteries like a bottomless pit.

This power cord allows us to save so much money. We only use batteries when we go away now and it saves us so much.

Our LeapPad would kill off new batteries within a day. It is actually ridiculous.

This cord however has been wonderful. No more kids whining that they need new batteries, no more having to spend a fortune on batteries, no more kids whining that they need new batteries. The cord is a nice length - not too long to gt all tangled up in and not too short to restrict you. No more kids whining that they need new batteries and begging you to go to the store to replenish the ginormous stock of batteries that you just bought a week ago. Did I mention no more kids whining that they need new batteries?

It stays securely attached to the device and works perfectly. One of the best ten dollar investments I ever made.
on January 22, 2014
After owning LeapFrog products for a little over a year both of my children's LeapPads stopped working. They wouldn't even turn on. When I contacted the company, I was not-so-kindly informed that there was nothing they could do to help. They suggested new batteries, and when I said I had put new batteries in, they informed me again to put new batteries in (as if I were too stupid to be bothered with). LeapFrog has no repairs available for their products. The AC adapters were worthless in fixing this problem. So after spending entirely too much money on a product that isn't made to last long beyond the initial warranty, I'll be using another company. Vtech never treated me this way, and bent over backwards to help us when one of their products was damaged. LeapFrog could care less about their customers.
on August 8, 2016
We've had a lot of issues with our Leadpad2, it rarely stays on with out being plugged in. We haven't had it that long, and my son didn't use it that much..so not really sure why this is. I changed the batteries and everything. We decided to order a new adapter so it could stay on.. We still have issues but clearly its a faulty machine. Ive read a hundreds of reviews now where people are stating this issue. Likely for no on you will have to use this in order for the leappad to work. I just wanted to warn those who purchase this.
on September 21, 2013
A friend of mine gave my boys a Leapster 2. I am not a fan of toys that eat through batteries so I always look to see if there is a plug that will work with the toy (they don't need to be walking from room to room with video games anyway in my opinion). I don't really like dealing with the chargers or docking stations either because you either need to leave them plugged in all the time (wasting energy) or you have to remember to charge them (a problem at our house). I bought this (as well as the LeapFrog car adapter) for them to use. I haven't ever bought batteries for the Leapster so I have saved a lot of money. If they are at home (or at somebody else's home), they sit there and use this adapter. If they are in the car, they sit there and use the car adapter. Both adapters work great. I can't vouch for what devices this will work with besides what we use it for which is the Leapster 2. We have never had a problem with it.
on March 18, 2013
I hate these things. They become short with the circuit, sometimes I would have to replug them just for them to work. I am so glad I upgraded to the battery packs. I really think Leapfrog should INCLUDE the plug with the 100.00 toy. It doesn't make sense for customers to have to purchase the power for the toy.

UPDATE 08/6/2013: I ended up buying the battery packs and it comes with the ac plug. Now I am replacing those plugs as well. These plugs are very delicate they damage at the slightest pull. I barely use the plugs because of the battery packs and maybe need to recharge once a week if that and I have to play around with the cord to see if the yellow light comes on when I need to charge my kids leappads. I had 4 of these and now I am down to just one working one. I seen these on clearance somewhere else for 5 bucks I'll be buying at least 4 of these...again.