Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning gotcatchup gotcatchup gotcatchup  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Color: Pink|Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change
Price:$21.45+ Free shipping

Showing 1-10 of 1,953 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,226 reviews
on November 24, 2014
BEWARE! The current version DOES NOT have connectivity!!! I purchased this for my son in 2012 for the same price and he continues to enjoy it. It speaks his name - as well as the names of family members when he checks his "email". This version does NONE of that. You can type the name in - but it does not speak it. WHAT A SHAME. The previous version was so much better. Note that all the rave reviews are OLD!
22 comments| 135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 16, 2016
Item was not as described, doesn't have the features they claim it to have. I don't keep toys unless they are good ones because I hate toy clutter ( you know the toys your kids pick up and put back down within seconds and it just becomes clutter instead of a toy) so I will be sending this back

*Okay so that was my original review. But I never got around to sending it back soooo it was wrapped and put under the Christmas tree anyway and I guess I can eat my words because my son loves it. He has the leap frog phone that is super awesome already so when he saw the leap top he was stoked. He is 3 and a half and just starting to understand that there are abcs and things so he likes to play with it. We did a bunch of traveling the week after Christmas and he played with it for the almost 3 hour car ride up and back the majority of the time. He grabs his leap top and his phone and plays "office" with them. His older cousins enjoyed messing with the thing as well. I'm talking 5, 9, and 11 year olds. I wasn't pleased that some of the features weren't as impressive as described but my son doesn't care. He likes it. A great toy for car rides or chill time. The volume had two levels and the lower level isn't annoying in the car. I'm tempted to buy another for my almost two year old to have for car rides, we travel a lot and I'm not ready to go for utter zombie children with a DVD player in the car yet so this is a good alternative. Overall I can't believe I'm saying it, I would recommend to a friend. It is small, has staying power(meaning he will play with it for good chunks of time) and it doesn't annoy the tar out of me so there you go, buy it. And especially buy the leap frog phone too, that thing is the best toy phone on the market right now. These two paired together are awesome, the leap top covers alphabet, the phone covers numbers and counting and is actually surprisingly more impressive then expected.
on May 24, 2017
I am so happy I went ahead and ordered this for my 2 year old.... it is a total hit with her & she plays with it daily.

I was a little skeptical because I was not sure she would like the black and white screen and the fact that the recommended age is 3 and up.

Well☺ she likes the screen and it is really easy for her to use even at 24 months . One of the games has pictures of animals on the screen and asks the her to find the letter on the keyboard that the animal word starts with and she actually is getting about 80% of them correct.

She loves her own leaptop! It also has 26 fun critter animations and she likes pretending to exchange emails with scout and violet.

This is helping to teach her the alphabet, spell her name, learn letters and animal names - plus has sing along with 16 songs and melodies.

I am giving this 4 stars instead of 5 because I feel the screen is not bright enough.

I have also included a photo and hope you have found my review helpful*☺
review image
on March 4, 2017
The Leaptop's sound stopped working less than two months after purchase. So, I unscrewed the bottom and opened the Leaptop to check that the speaker wires were still attached, which they were. Then, I contacted LeapFrog and was told that because I opened the Leaptop, this voided the warranty. The warranty states that if the item is "damaged by attempted service", it voids the warranty. Clearly, the damage was not caused when I opened the Leaptop...it was already not working!!! So, this is the kind of "help" you can expect from "Customer Service" at LeapFrog if anything goes wrong with their product - they will blame you for the problem instead of their inferior product!
on June 3, 2015
Be cautioned: although this toy has the same name, it does not have the same functions as the Leaptop from 3 years ago. The older version, which my 5 yr old daughter still loves and which I bought 3 of for nieces and nephews was much better because it had real personalization features. The old Leaptop came with a USB cable and was easily programmed from the Leapfrog site. The old one would greet the child by name at power-on and had 3 emails you programmed with content and sender which the Leaptop would read aloud and print, i.e. "you have an email from Uncle Jimmy. "Sydney, I love you very much. Love, Uncle Jimmy." You could program 3 different messages and senders. Also the Leaptop fully integrated the child's name in a spelling song when the letter button of the first initial was pushed. My daughter still loves hearing Violet address her by name and pretending to email back and forth with 3 of her actual relatives.

The current Leaptop I just received (a gift for another niece) is so lame! No USB; simply a "parent mode" that lets you spell the child's name. Then the Leaptop doesn't even say the name! It just spells it and never says it! No customized emails. That's it. The old one even let you choose pronunciation options for names so that the toy would pronounce names like "ann-drea" or "ahn-drea" correctly! The new one is pretty much not customizable at all. I'm very disappointed that Leapfrog ruined what was such a great toy and a great way to stay present in the daily life of your special little people you may not see everyday. This is just a generic alphabet game now. Very sad.
on June 19, 2017
Save your money and buy the old version on EBAY! I always read Amazon reviews before I purchase items, unless I am making a repeat purchase. When I bought this Leap Frog "My Own Leaptop" in June, 2017, I realized it was a newer version than the one I purchased in 2012, but I figured they would have simply made improvements upon the old model. Wow was I mistaken! I should have read the recent reviews by parents like myself who know how fantastic the old version of this toy is and how the new version pales in comparison. Don't waste your money on a new one. For the same price or less you can buy a vastly superior, used old version on EBAY (see what the old version looks like in my review photos). This is what I did and I will be returning the new model. We debated saving the $6 in return shipping cost to give the new version we bought to someone else as a gift, but decided we cannot in good conscience give an inferior toy to a friend. The old version requires that you download LeapFrog Connect software and connect the Leaptop to your computer. To do this you must have the LeapFrog "My Own Leaptop" USB connector cable (see last photo), internet access, a USB port, and Adobe Flash software (an easy, free download that the LeapFrog software prompts you to download if you don't have it). I still had my cable from the Leaptop I purchased five years ago so I didn't need to make sure the used one I purchased from EBAY had it. I bought the used leaptop shown in the photos for $8 with free shipping and no cable. It arrived today and with new batteries and my old cable I was able to reprogram each of the customizable features and now it's perfect! Below is a comparison of the personalized features of the old version and comparable features of the new version.

Old Version:
- Upon turning it on it says, "Hi [says your child's name]!"
- You can select one "sing along" song, and five melody songs for it to play, and it also plays a song spelling out your child's name
- When you push the "blog" button, it reads a blog entry and then asks your child [by name] about their day
- You can personalize three "email" messages by selecting text from a dropdown menu (you cannot type your own message) and entering the sender (e.g., "Grandma" or "Betsy"). The result is an interaction like this:
"You have an email from Mommy [or whomever you program in]. Let's read it! Dear [says your child's name], I love you so much [the message I chose]. Love, Mommy. Let's reply! Dear Mommy, I love you too. Love, [says your child's name]". So it simply reads an auto-generated "reply" and says it is from your child, rather than prompting them to "type a reply." The Leaptop also periodically prompts your child to push the email button, by asking, "Have you checked your email?"
- In the alphabet mode when your child pushes the first letter of their name it will switch between one of two results. One result is this announcement: "[First it names the letter.] That's the first letter of your name [says child's name]. Let's celebrate your letter! [Then it plays a fun little jingle.]" The second result is an announcement naming the letter, saying what sound it makes, naming the letter again and saying an animal that starts with that letter.

New Version:
- Upon turning it on it says, "Hi."
- You cannot select songs. You get what it comes with.
- There are no blog entries.
- When you select the "Messages" setting it literally says something like this:
"I have a message for you. Message: I spent all day... What's your favorite [game/place]?"
or "You have an email from me. Let's read it. Hi. Writing emails to you makes me happy. Love, [Scout or Violet, depending on whether you have the boy or girl version] Let's reply. Push the letter buttons to write your reply, then push the paw pad." When you do as instructed it says out loud each letter you push, and then says, "Well done," but that's it. So you could push, "JWZL," for example, and push the paw pad and that would be your email. It doesn't read the reply you type (which makes sense since most children will push letters randomly).
- There are no blog entries.
- In the alphabet mode when your child pushes the first letter of their name it will switch between one of two results. One result is this announcement: "[First it names the letter.] That's the first letter of your name [it shows child's name on screen, but does not say it]. Let's spell it! [Then it spells your child's name.]" The second result is an announcement naming the letter, saying what sound it makes, naming the letter again and saying an animal that starts with that letter.

We gave the Leaptop we purchased in 2012 to our son when he was 18 months old. He is now 6 and he still loves to play with it. Our daughter who is about to turn 3 enjoys playing with her brother's Leaptop so much we finally decided we should get her one of her own (hence our purchase and return of a new version on Amazon, and a satisfying purchase of a used old version on EBAY). Reasons why we like the old version follow. Both of our children really like singing and dancing to the music and playing at receiving and writing emails. They also get very excited about the blog entries. Neither one of them has ever been too enamored by the facts about animals (although they both are very interested in animals in general), with the exception of a few favorites. I do think the letter sounds have been valuable from an education standpoint for both of our children. The main reason our children, and in turn we ourselves, like the old version of this toy so much is because it engages them directly by name so frequently through the alphabet, music, email and blog modes. The new version simply acknowledges the first letter of their name and the spelling of their name, but never actually says their name. This makes it so much less personally engaging and since younger children do not always know how to spell their names, the new version may as well not be personalized at all for them since it never actually states their name. We brought our 2012 Leaptop every time we traveled with our son from about age 18 months to 3 years. His interest waned enough after that that we no longer brought it on travels, but it remains a much beloved toy for home use to this day. We are extremely confident that the used old version of the Leaptop we just bought our daughter is sure to be her new favorite toy.

I hope this review is helpful to parents considering buying a Leaptop. I cannot recommend the old version enough and I'm grateful there are people selling quite a few of them on EBAY. Just keep in mind to look for one that indicates it has been tested and is in good working order, and that it includes the cable if you don't have one already.
review image review image
on May 11, 2017
Okay, with buying hundreds of baby toys now, I usually rate based on overall value. Considering things like price, quality, educational value, how much my daughter will use it, features to keep it interesting, etc... This is an excellent purchase! My daughter is almost 1.5 and very into pointing to things to learn what they are. This toy was so cheap, very educational, great quality overall. There are features she can grow into and features she can enjoy now. I would highly recommend this toy! Probably one of the best purchases I have made in a long time.
on July 10, 2016
My daughter received it as a birthday gift and really liked it. So much so that I bought it as a gift for a friend's son. Unfortunately, some of the alphabet keys stopped working within a couple of months and same with the paw button. Given the fact, we only let her use it sporadically, I found the product quality questionable at best. I guess it's cheap enough where people may not care for it to last long. Personally, I would've rather have something that costs a bit more but lasts longer than a couple of months.
on July 19, 2016
My son loved this computer/leaptop and it was great for the first 2.5 months. He used it regularly and always under adult supervision so there was no rough play or dropping the leaptop. Currently we have owned this item for 4 months and the audio no longer works, which is one of the biggest perks of this item. I am passed the allow return policy window and Leapfrog has only given me a suggestion to clean out the battery compartment and insert new batteries but this has not helped. I would have thought Leapfrog's quality would have been better but I guess I was wrong. I now have to search for another brand for replacement.
on February 10, 2017
I bought this way too soon for my baby but I think she will really like it when she is old enough. She just kind of throws it around for now. I agree with other reviews that the screen is pretty bad and can barely be seen in some lights. I also personalized it with her name but don't see the point like other reviewers mentioned because it doesn't say her name or reference the personalization in any way that I can remember. My baby loves to bang on my Mac so I was hoping she could do the damage on this thing instead but she only like the real thing right now. Once she gets older I'm sure she will love that she has her own keyboard.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.