Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $10 on Fire 7. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

LeapFrog My Own Leaptop, Pink
Color: Pink|Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change

on June 19, 2017
Save your money and buy the old version on EBAY! I always read Amazon reviews before I purchase items, unless I am making a repeat purchase. When I bought this Leap Frog "My Own Leaptop" in June, 2017, I realized it was a newer version than the one I purchased in 2012, but I figured they would have simply made improvements upon the old model. Wow was I mistaken! I should have read the recent reviews by parents like myself who know how fantastic the old version of this toy is and how the new version pales in comparison. Don't waste your money on a new one. For the same price or less you can buy a vastly superior, used old version on EBAY (see what the old version looks like in my review photos). This is what I did and I will be returning the new model. We debated saving the $6 in return shipping cost to give the new version we bought to someone else as a gift, but decided we cannot in good conscience give an inferior toy to a friend. The old version requires that you download LeapFrog Connect software and connect the Leaptop to your computer. To do this you must have the LeapFrog "My Own Leaptop" USB connector cable (see last photo), internet access, a USB port, and Adobe Flash software (an easy, free download that the LeapFrog software prompts you to download if you don't have it). I still had my cable from the Leaptop I purchased five years ago so I didn't need to make sure the used one I purchased from EBAY had it. I bought the used leaptop shown in the photos for $8 with free shipping and no cable. It arrived today and with new batteries and my old cable I was able to reprogram each of the customizable features and now it's perfect! Below is a comparison of the personalized features of the old version and comparable features of the new version.

Old Version:
- Upon turning it on it says, "Hi [says your child's name]!"
- You can select one "sing along" song, and five melody songs for it to play, and it also plays a song spelling out your child's name
- When you push the "blog" button, it reads a blog entry and then asks your child [by name] about their day
- You can personalize three "email" messages by selecting text from a dropdown menu (you cannot type your own message) and entering the sender (e.g., "Grandma" or "Betsy"). The result is an interaction like this:
"You have an email from Mommy [or whomever you program in]. Let's read it! Dear [says your child's name], I love you so much [the message I chose]. Love, Mommy. Let's reply! Dear Mommy, I love you too. Love, [says your child's name]". So it simply reads an auto-generated "reply" and says it is from your child, rather than prompting them to "type a reply." The Leaptop also periodically prompts your child to push the email button, by asking, "Have you checked your email?"
- In the alphabet mode when your child pushes the first letter of their name it will switch between one of two results. One result is this announcement: "[First it names the letter.] That's the first letter of your name [says child's name]. Let's celebrate your letter! [Then it plays a fun little jingle.]" The second result is an announcement naming the letter, saying what sound it makes, naming the letter again and saying an animal that starts with that letter.

New Version:
- Upon turning it on it says, "Hi."
- You cannot select songs. You get what it comes with.
- There are no blog entries.
- When you select the "Messages" setting it literally says something like this:
"I have a message for you. Message: I spent all day... What's your favorite [game/place]?"
or "You have an email from me. Let's read it. Hi. Writing emails to you makes me happy. Love, [Scout or Violet, depending on whether you have the boy or girl version] Let's reply. Push the letter buttons to write your reply, then push the paw pad." When you do as instructed it says out loud each letter you push, and then says, "Well done," but that's it. So you could push, "JWZL," for example, and push the paw pad and that would be your email. It doesn't read the reply you type (which makes sense since most children will push letters randomly).
- There are no blog entries.
- In the alphabet mode when your child pushes the first letter of their name it will switch between one of two results. One result is this announcement: "[First it names the letter.] That's the first letter of your name [it shows child's name on screen, but does not say it]. Let's spell it! [Then it spells your child's name.]" The second result is an announcement naming the letter, saying what sound it makes, naming the letter again and saying an animal that starts with that letter.

We gave the Leaptop we purchased in 2012 to our son when he was 18 months old. He is now 6 and he still loves to play with it. Our daughter who is about to turn 3 enjoys playing with her brother's Leaptop so much we finally decided we should get her one of her own (hence our purchase and return of a new version on Amazon, and a satisfying purchase of a used old version on EBAY). Reasons why we like the old version follow. Both of our children really like singing and dancing to the music and playing at receiving and writing emails. They also get very excited about the blog entries. Neither one of them has ever been too enamored by the facts about animals (although they both are very interested in animals in general), with the exception of a few favorites. I do think the letter sounds have been valuable from an education standpoint for both of our children. The main reason our children, and in turn we ourselves, like the old version of this toy so much is because it engages them directly by name so frequently through the alphabet, music, email and blog modes. The new version simply acknowledges the first letter of their name and the spelling of their name, but never actually says their name. This makes it so much less personally engaging and since younger children do not always know how to spell their names, the new version may as well not be personalized at all for them since it never actually states their name. We brought our 2012 Leaptop every time we traveled with our son from about age 18 months to 3 years. His interest waned enough after that that we no longer brought it on travels, but it remains a much beloved toy for home use to this day. We are extremely confident that the used old version of the Leaptop we just bought our daughter is sure to be her new favorite toy.

I hope this review is helpful to parents considering buying a Leaptop. I cannot recommend the old version enough and I'm grateful there are people selling quite a few of them on EBAY. Just keep in mind to look for one that indicates it has been tested and is in good working order, and that it includes the cable if you don't have one already.
review image review image
33 comments| 114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 24, 2014
BEWARE! The current version DOES NOT have connectivity!!! I purchased this for my son in 2012 for the same price and he continues to enjoy it. It speaks his name - as well as the names of family members when he checks his "email". This version does NONE of that. You can type the name in - but it does not speak it. WHAT A SHAME. The previous version was so much better. Note that all the rave reviews are OLD!
22 comments| 179 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 11, 2016
My grandson likes this, however doesn't yet use it correctly to actually learn (just loves to push the buttons). As with all these toys when a button is pushed it is interrupted with another push, which I wish someone would solve someday. The screen is not very bright and is difficult to see. However if your little one is past just wanting to push buttons, it could be a great learning toy. It provides many options to be educational.
on July 15, 2016
It's a Christmas gift for my 11 month old daughter (she will be 16 months when she gets it). She saw it in the box and started playing with all the buttons. I almost couldn't pry it away from her. Excited to see her play with it out of the box. She is always wanting my computer when I am working so I thought this would be a great toy for her.
on April 9, 2015
Bought this for my toddler to keep her busy on a 15+ hour flight. Didn't work - she loved her videos & games on the iPad much better! I was hoping the laptop would work as I don't like giving her iPad screen time, but for a long flight, you do whatever works!

That said, the laptop itself is great! Very cute. Easy to open & close. Easy to switch on & off. My little one loves the songs function & spends ages dancing to "ABC" & others. At 18months she picked up the alphabet quite quickly because she hears the songs so much. She also likes going through the alphabet & animals in the 1st play function. Laptop will grow with her, as I'm sure she'll enjoy the other games more when she can understand them better. Good buy overall!
on January 6, 2016
This is a really good first "computer" for toddlers. I was going to buy the LeapPad for my 2 year old grandson but was afraid it would be a little advance for him. He is currently in speech therapy and I really wanted something that would help him learn word sounds - or phonics as they used to be called - as well as have fun. I was not disappointed at all. It is exactly was I was hoping it would be. The program for learning the alphabet sounds out the letter and then uses it to describe and animal or "thing" with computer graphics showing the object it's describing. To my delight my grandson loves it and I can see him already starting to repeat some of the sounds.
on November 12, 2016
I bought this to stimulate my 2 year old granddaughter's vocabulary. It is a cute toy, with different levels of play, each encouraging the child to sound out letters - and eventually to spell words. I think this has helped her to sound out her words better.
on August 14, 2012
This design is great. Unlike ever other mock child's laptop I've encountered the activities are actually accessible to a preschooler, possibly even a toddler. The others are all far too difficult to access and do. The screen is tolerable, given the limitations of price. It works fine and looks durable, despite some negative reviews I've seen. It would be great if this had more content, more emails, more music and such. Memory is cheap. There is no reason to use only one real song and three emails. There is no particular reason, why the user couldn't customize the entire email and not just the person it is from and to. But no other manufacture does that sort of thing. The goal is to bore children quickly enough that you have to buy more toys. We know the game. My only real quibble is with the character of the little dog. It is incredibly annoying and my kids are not interested in that character. It moves too fast and the graphics aren't good enough for it to be seen well. They don't know it from elsewhere and it just isn't appealing. Otherwise, I'm happy. It is a good, fun distracting toy for long trips, potty bribery and such.
on February 26, 2017
I'm really surprised to see so many positive reviews. I got this for my 2.5 year old daughter for Christmas and she has shown almost no interest in it at all. I think she knows that it's more of a "toy" than a real "laptop". The images are hard to see on the screen. This was actually a total waste for us. Maybe better for younger ages like 12-18 months?
on September 27, 2017
I bought this before a plane trip, and it was the only thing that kept our 18 month old distracted. She now plays with it at home almost daily. It's durable and has survived many drops. The carrying handle is a smart touch. I was worried that it'd be too loud but it's not any different than your average toy. The price is unbeatable for another great LeapFrog toy.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.