Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

• Customer Reviews

Showing 1-10 of 1,408 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,628 reviews
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 24, 2016
I bought this for my 2 year old grandson, and at first he used the stylus cord to drag the device along the ground. Apparently, he wasn't quite ready to learn his alphabet or numbers.

Now that he's approaching 2.5 years old, he's suddenly taken an interest in this device. He uses it to write all of the letters of the alphabet, as well as numbers. He loves to draw the shapes of the letters, and is fascinated by the verbal response from the computerized voice. This is a great educational tool for learning and practicing the alphabet and numbers.

Since this item has been subject to extreme abuse, and it still works perfectly, I can attest to the fact that it's quality built. The bottom line is that this is a fantastic item for young children. It will teach them writing, listening, and hand, eye coordination skills. Learning the alphabet and numbers is the first step to a lifelong skill, essential to all. I rate this a 5 star product for both durability, superb educational potential, and ability to maintain a child's interest. It's a fantastic, fun learning tool for numbers, the alphabet, and a host of other essential skills.
on November 13, 2016
Bought this based on a 4.3 rating from over a thousand reviews. Some people have complained that there's no feedback if the kid actually wrote the letter right. That's totally incorrect. There are two modes selected by a switch; Mode 1 is free draw. Push a letter or number, and it lights up LED's in sequence, as well as verbal instructions. Mode 2 actually requires that the pen follow those LED's. There is a sensor in the tip of the pen, and the LED's light up as the pen is drawn over them. So, there is actually feedback to the kid that they're following the LED's to draw the letter, and it would seem that this product is awesome because it does this. Problem is, the pen needs to follow those LED's very, very closely, and the pen can't be lifted as you're following the LED's, not even a little, or it makes you start over. I myself have a hard time getting it to work as expected - it even frustrates me! While this type of letter drawing is a little too advanced for my kids, I can't see this thing being useful even when it is age appropriate. So, in mode 1, it's a noisy curiosity that they pick up every once in a while. Great idea, but the implementation failed.
on November 13, 2016
I got this for my 5 year old nephew whose autistic and just started school. He was getting very frustrated with paper and pencils and writing in general to the point that trying to wrire letters woukd lead to a meltdown almost every night. He actually likes practicing his letters with this as the lights let him see what he's supposed to draw. He also likes to watch it be erased. We've only had this for about a month but I can see the improvement in his skill and I'm glad that he seems to be engaged with it with this toy.
on October 28, 2016
This is an amazing product! Wish I could give it 10 stars! My four year old is learning so fast with it! It requires correct writing from your child (start and end points) then sounds out the letter sound at the end of each completed letter your child traces. It also has encouraging words at the end of each correctly traced letter or number to make them feel proud. I know my daughter can play on hey own and still be learning.
review image
on March 21, 2017
Really wanted to give this more stars because if it worked it'd be a good educational toy. Problem is, after just a few days of very little use (the unit never left the house and was not dropped or spilled on), one row of the LED lights would not turn off. Tried changing batteries several times. Tried 'rebooting' the unit. Nothing worked. When random lights are always on, it renders the entire unit useless. Kids can't trace the lights in the shape of a letter, when a bunch of faulty lights ruin the shape of the letter. We have a few LeapFrog items and they're mostly good products. This was a major, major disappointment. It makes us seriously question LeapFrog's quality control.
on August 28, 2016
My 2 years toddler Begin to write with this together, its amazing! I just attach it with velcro, because he was confusing himself upside down
review image
on April 19, 2017
My 4 year old daughter was excited to get this and used it a lot for a week. She isn't using it much anymore other than to draw on the tiny screen with the unit turned off. I do get her to use it for a few minutes but *I* have to make it exciting. I was hoping it being like a tablet would excite her enough to use it as an additional tool to preschool and me teaching her. I believe she has gotten frustrated with it as it makes her start over and over on level 2 if it is not perfect (which is its purpose so I am not faulting the toy at all). It works very well and as described. Great concept but as I have read many, many times, we don't need gadgets to teach our children. I was just hoping it would interest her enough to be an additional learning tool.
on March 16, 2017
Fun writing tool for our 4 year old. The writing stylus is attached at the bottom center of the writing surface, so our left handed son didn't have issues with using it.

The leveled games are good for the most part, although the screen doesn't really detect if a child has correctly written a letter form after the child presses "Enter". The only mode that somewhat provides corrective feedback is where the child follows along with the form lines and is stopped if they go off track. Minor issue, as if your child is already recognizing letters and writing some, this tool will still serve as a nice alternative to iPad/tablet apps that essentially do the same thing.

Another pro is our son loves the clap and count game and stomp and count game.

Best recommended for children who are already writing but need to build on the letters they are able to write and children who attend to writing activities for a little bit of time. I wouldn't necessarily start with this if my child were new to writing. There are better pre writing tools available where kids don't need requisite skills.
on June 24, 2015
One has to have a real steady hand to get the letters right, since there is little traction between the pen and the pad. The child also has to cross every single dot in each letter's outline. This is harder than it sounds, believe me! When I tried it out, I had to go at a snail's pace, and even then I messed up 25% of the time.

The biggest problem....
The writing pad malfunctions quite often, especially after changing letters. The voice giving the instructions gets stuck in a loop. I have to take out the battery and put it back in whenever this occurs, which is only a temporary fix.

My advice?
Go with the classic jumbo pencil and letter tracing books. You'll save money that way too.
on December 3, 2013
I am disappointed with this product... the idea of it is fantastic but its function is horrific. Trace the letter or number incorrect - trace a letter 'D' for a letter 'A' and Leapfrop Scribble and write still tells the child that he/she is correct. I think that is awful!