Truck Reviews HPC Magazine Deals Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

• Customer Reviews

on November 13, 2016
I got this for my 5 year old nephew whose autistic and just started school. He was getting very frustrated with paper and pencils and writing in general to the point that trying to wrire letters woukd lead to a meltdown almost every night. He actually likes practicing his letters with this as the lights let him see what he's supposed to draw. He also likes to watch it be erased. We've only had this for about a month but I can see the improvement in his skill and I'm glad that he seems to be engaged with it with this toy.
13 people found this helpful
on April 18, 2017
The pad that you trace the letters on just bubbles and fills everywhere, so it's not accurate to what is actually traced. To me, this makes the pad useless to teach a child to draw letters and numbers because they can't see how what they wrote compares to what it should be.
There is also awful and annoying music that plays and even the lower volume level is loud. I could handle the music if it worked the way it is advertised.
I have always loved leap frog products which is why I got this, but I'm incredibly disappointed in this.
10 people found this helpful
on October 28, 2016
This is an amazing product! Wish I could give it 10 stars! My four year old is learning so fast with it! It requires correct writing from your child (start and end points) then sounds out the letter sound at the end of each completed letter your child traces. It also has encouraging words at the end of each correctly traced letter or number to make them feel proud. I know my daughter can play on hey own and still be learning.
18 people found this helpful
on August 28, 2016
My 2 years toddler Begin to write with this together, its amazing! I just attach it with velcro, because he was confusing himself upside down
11 people found this helpful
on March 8, 2017
I purchased this for my 4 year old son's birthday to help him with his letter and number writing. He was pretty excited when he opened it, but that quickly faded as soon as he went to use it. He drew his first letter, and the bottom of the display turned black, making the product essentially useless. The bottom half of what he writes pretty much disappears, I attached a picture to show what happens. He later told me "Mom, that wasn't such a great present".... yeah buddy I agree!
10 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on June 24, 2015
One has to have a real steady hand to get the letters right, since there is little traction between the pen and the pad. The child also has to cross every single dot in each letter's outline. This is harder than it sounds, believe me! When I tried it out, I had to go at a snail's pace, and even then I messed up 25% of the time.

The biggest problem....
The writing pad malfunctions quite often, especially after changing letters. The voice giving the instructions gets stuck in a loop. I have to take out the battery and put it back in whenever this occurs, which is only a temporary fix.

My advice?
Go with the classic jumbo pencil and letter tracing books. You'll save money that way too.
8 people found this helpful
on October 15, 2016
The 4 year old I got this for already knew his alphabet, but needed practice writing letters. It took several sessions before he understood why it kept telling him to try again (you can't lift the stylus mid-letter, which is tempting when you are trying to see where the light path is). But once he got the hang of it, he was addicted! We kept it in the car most of the time so car-time wasn't boring or wasted time. He still enjoys using it (tracing letters and counting the sparkling dots that show up after each successful trace) even though he's in Kindergarten now.
I wish the cord to the stylus were a little longer.
5 people found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 24, 2016
I bought this for my 2 year old grandson, and at first he used the stylus cord to drag the device along the ground. Apparently, he wasn't quite ready to learn his alphabet or numbers.

Now that he's approaching 2.5 years old, he's suddenly taken an interest in this device. He uses it to write all of the letters of the alphabet, as well as numbers. He loves to draw the shapes of the letters, and is fascinated by the verbal response from the computerized voice. This is a great educational tool for learning and practicing the alphabet and numbers.

Since this item has been subject to extreme abuse, and it still works perfectly, I can attest to the fact that it's quality built. The bottom line is that this is a fantastic item for young children. It will teach them writing, listening, and hand, eye coordination skills. Learning the alphabet and numbers is the first step to a lifelong skill, essential to all. I rate this a 5 star product for both durability, superb educational potential, and ability to maintain a child's interest. It's a fantastic, fun learning tool for numbers, the alphabet, and a host of other essential skills.
17 people found this helpful
on April 13, 2018
I bought this for my four-year-old nephew to help him learn his letters. Unfortunately his home environment doesn't really encourage it. There are two modes: one where the whole letter shows up on the screen and you can trace the whole thing at once, and another that does it step-by-step: the screen will show you where to start and where to stop, and it'll have a dotted line in between that appears as you follow it. You complete one section of the letter (like going down the length of an upper-case T) before you can go on to the next (crossing the upper-case T). This step-by-step mode is very frustrating for my nephew. It may be the kid (he's a very impatient child), or it could be the toy. I don't know. If you don't follow the line rather precisely, it makes you start over. If you lift up the pen while following the line, it makes you start over. I can certainly understand why it's frustrating for him. He does better when he can trace the whole thing at once. The problem with that mode is that you don't have to follow the lines to get the "correct" sound. You can scribble all over it, and it'll still tell you it's correct, so I don't really think that helps with the learning, either.

I don't like using electronics to teach children - with my own son (who's not even a year old yet), we don't encourage electronics, TV, etc. I prefer the old-fashioned toys like stacking rings, blocks, books, etc. But I bought this for my nephew because he's usually playing by himself, and he -- like most kids -- is intrigued by electronics. I had hoped that this would keep his interest and help him learn. I haven't seen him playing with this in months, so I'm assuming he doesn't use it much.
Top Contributor: Makeupon March 16, 2017
Fun writing tool for our 4 year old. The writing stylus is attached at the bottom center of the writing surface, so our left handed son didn't have issues with using it.

The leveled games are good for the most part, although the screen doesn't really detect if a child has correctly written a letter form after the child presses "Enter". The only mode that somewhat provides corrective feedback is where the child follows along with the form lines and is stopped if they go off track. Minor issue, as if your child is already recognizing letters and writing some, this tool will still serve as a nice alternative to iPad/tablet apps that essentially do the same thing.

Another pro is our son loves the clap and count game and stomp and count game.

Best recommended for children who are already writing but need to build on the letters they are able to write and children who attend to writing activities for a little bit of time. I wouldn't necessarily start with this if my child were new to writing. There are better pre writing tools available where kids don't need requisite skills.
One person found this helpful