Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery March Birthstone Book House Cleaning _ros _ros _ros  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 23 reviews
on April 7, 2005
LeapFrog products have disappointed us in the past, so it took a lot of research on my part to consider a LeapPad for my son. Overall, I'm satisfied with the quality of this toy, but question the overall educational value of the LeapPad books. It amuses my son for hours a week, and when traveling, which we do frequently, it's a godsend. William took to the LeapPad immediately, and was able to operate the features of the books with little assistance. He's not yet 4, but instinctively follows along even though he may be working a Kindergarten book.

LeapFrog has very few books that are microphone enhanced (only 7 so far), and the stores don't seem to stock them. My husband was able to find one at Staples of all places, but he didn't happen to notice it was for 1st graders. My son was so thrilled, we opened it anyway. Initially I thought the microphone feature was ridiculous. I couldn't understand why a parent would want to hear their little one chatter back to a noisy machine. Part of the purpose of this toy, is to encourage quiet time, and learning. Right? Well, this feature has proven to be entertaining, and actually has the potential to be educational especially when working on phonics. A pair of headphones really comes in handy when listening to your child play the microphone enhanced books. I definitely recommend a set!

The writing aspects of the toy encourage me for the future. We have 2 writing books, in addition to the writing book that came with the unit, and they have gotten a lot of use already. When in writing mode, it's one on one interaction between parent and child. These books work without the pencil insert, and sometime William opts to work them that way. Unlike some of the regular LeapPad books, the writing books are educational in my view. The Kindergarten books show children how to trace letters & numbers, work mazes, draw shapes, and so forth. I question the age recommendations on the books though, as my child has already mastered the Pre-Kindergarten book, and understands a good portion of the Kindergarten book. LeapFrog has recently added more writing books to their library, so they are not as limited as the microphone books. My biggest problem with the writing feature is that erasing crinkles the pages, and the lead leaves grooves behind. It might have been better had LeapFrog designed this product with a dry erase type of insert, and coated the pages with plastic. That probably would increase the cost of the books, but how many tracing letters & numbers books do you need?

This brings up another problem I have with the LeapPad in general. The books are expensive. If one pays the suggested retail price for this product, and adds just 2 books, that's big bucks! I personally don't think the books are worth the suggested retail price, so I bought a bunch at 50% off, and plan to stock up when the next sale comes along.

We have encountered cord malfunctions too. The first time it was user abuse. My son bit the stylus pen, and must have damaged the cable. William is a lefty, and even though the cord is long at 16", it must annoy him, because it's installed on the right side giving right handed folks more room to work. I recently discovered the replacement pen is malfunctioning too. I went ahead and order 2 more pens at $5.00 each. Toy stores carry replacement pens, but they don't sale the stylus pen yet, so we have to wait 2-weeks for another. Because of this, the LeapPad is a somewhat supervised activity. I definitely don't trust my son with the Magic Pencil yet, and since I've already paid $15.00 on replacement pens, I can't quite image how much more I'll be pouring out on additional books, and batteries. I've replaced the batteries once, which isn't bad considering he played with his LeapPad for hours upon hours during our recent trip to New England. In addition, I don't trust him to remember to put both the book and cartridge back in his backpack when he's done. Thus, for the meantime, I control those aspects of the toy.

The LeapPad Plus Writing & Microphone Learning System works with the entire LeapPad library, except for the My First LeapPad books. LeapFrog selects the maximum age recommendation of this product to be 8-years old, so that it will confuse consumers into purchasing the Quantum LeapPad four-years later. This platform is compatible with the Quantum library, so there's no need to buy another LeapPad. This irrates me a bit, but overall I am satisfied with this toy, and my son loves it.
on November 30, 2015
After receiving this product with acid corrosion in the battery compartment where the batteries were left in, I was a little upset. But the seller was very good about communicating with me of how to get rid of the corrosion. It worked and I put new batteries in it and it's working now. I am very happy that the seller was so good about communicating with me to resolve the problem.
on January 10, 2016
This item was suppose to come with TWO books and we only received ONE 👎🏻
on February 7, 2017
voice does not match. books. defect in pen!
on February 14, 2016
very good

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.