Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Learn Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 by Video
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports STEM

Format: DVD-ROM|Change

VINE VOICEon September 13, 2010
Some people learn more by watching than by reading. I know that I first learned about how to use Lightroom in videos by the redoubtable Michael Reichmann and Jeff Schewe, but that was mostly because they were the first out with instructional material. Mostly those videos were images of talking heads with an occasional screen shot. "Learn Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 by Video" is an offering by two other great image processing authors, Tim Grey and Mikkel Aaland.

The approach taken is fairly standard. After an introduction the videos go chapter by chapter through each of the Lightroom modules, and an examination of most of the buttons and sliders that, because of its easy interface, has made Lightroom popular with so many photographers. Each section shows a screen shot where the viewer can follow the moves made by the authors to apply Lightroom functions, accompanied by the voice-over of one of the two authors. The chapters cover everything from bringing images into Lightroom to outputting them to web sites or slideshows. The level of instruction is fairly simple, but if you've never used the software, the instruction will get the average person processing pictures after several hours of watching. More experienced users won't learn anything new, but they are not the audience. Not every function is covered in all aspects, like my favorite test, whether the discussion of keywords covers the importation of a keyword list from another source into Lightroom. On the other hand, although this isn't covered, it clearly a subject for a more advanced user.

At the end of each chapter there is an examination. Unfortunately, if you get an answer wrong, you won't be told the correct answer, so you'll have to watch the lesson again. Maybe that's not unfortunate.

The video comes with a booklet where Aaland first presents some ideas about composition (perhaps added because the video, like most Lightroom books, doesn't tell you when a slider or button is appropriate; for that, I'd recommend "Vision & Voice: Refining Your Vision in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom (Voices That Matter)" by David duChemin). That's followed by a chapter about what's new in Lightroom 3. The disk also contains images that can be imported into Lightroom by the viewer to follow the same procedures as the authors in the lessons. I'd like to say that this allows one to follow along with the authors, but it was here that video presentation encountered a stumbling block. With a book you could keep the book in front of the computer and, if images were provided, the reader could follow along. To duplicate the experience there is a button in the lower right hand corner of the video screen, called "Watch-and-Work". If you click this, the video is reduced to about one-fourth of the screen. Unfortunately, when I tried to follow along with the video, the video image was often in the way and had to be moved around to gain access to the Lightroom sliders. Eventually I figured out that it was easier to pause the video and minimize the video screen and work in Lightroom. This doesn't take a computer guru to figure out, but given that the videos are aimed at tyros, it might have been useful to provide more detailed instructions in how to use the videos. Unfortunately there is just a very brief help screen, that, to make matters worse, refers to processing the picture in Dreamweaver! It might also have been useful to suggest to users that as soon as possible, they should import the images provided on the disk into Lightroom, as well as other instructions on how to best use the videos to learn.

I'm still a person who prefers books, being a geezer who didn't grow up with YouTube. I underline important ideas or read them twice, and even read them on a bus, without opening a laptop. To be fair, the video does allow for bookmarking (again undocumented), that accomplishes many of these functions and perhaps reading on the bus may not be the best way to learn about running a piece of software like Lightroom.

I'm impressed by the video technology, and even though there are a few bumpy spots, as an introduction to Lightroom, this will certainly teach the new user how to use the software.
VINE VOICEon October 7, 2010
Format: DVD-ROM|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Adobe approved "Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3, Learn by Video" is the absolutely best method of learning Lightroom 3 that I've found. It's one on one training presented by Tim Grey and Mikkel Aaland. The program truly has just about everything to get you up and running full hilt. You'll progress from the very beginning of setting Lightroom up to importing photos, developing them, exporting them and everything in between. It does not contain everything that anyone would want in an educational program - that would be a practical impossibility. However, this program contains 10 hours of video training: you hear how a procedure occurs and you see how it's done, along with advice and opinion. There's even a testing procedure included and reference booklet. You can also copy selected video tutorials. I've had and have been using Adobe Lightroom for a couple years and recently upgraded to Lightroom 3. I've books written about Lightroom 3 by well known authors but I found reading about it was just a little too tedious and finally decided to find out how to make it work for me. This program works, it did for me and frankly I believe it's the best program available.
VINE VOICEon November 4, 2010
Format: DVD-ROM|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've spent lots of money on Photoshop and Lightroom. These programs are so complicated that you end up buying lots of books to learn to use them, some of which end up collecting dust because they are so hard to read.

This video instruction program is pretty long at 10hours but it really covers what you need to know to use Lightroom 3.0 properly.

The format allows you to skip to chapters that you want to see.
I think you need to watch this on a computer because it doesn't play like a regular DVD with menus that need to be clicked by mouse.

The video shows step by step how to do actions from basic to advanced.

Compared to books teaching Lightroom, this is by far the best way to learn that I have seen so far.

Now I need to get a version for Photoshop CS5....
VINE VOICEon January 9, 2011
Format: DVD-ROM|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
There are over 100 video lessons here. Most users have given this a high rating and I assume they are very comfortable with video learning. Personally I found it rather tedious.

I'd like to learn Lightroom because I've owned it for a while. I tried to use it but did not understand it so I went back to using Adobe Bridge, which is think is generally under-appreciated. I love Photoshop but tend to spend a lot of time with it, so the supposed time-saving features of Lightroom would be helpful.

I really hoped this product would make it easy for me to use Lightroom. Unfortunately I had trouble staying alert through more than 3 or 4 lessons at a time, and that much only covers a small portion of the material. I don't think this is because of the presenters so much as it is the difficulty of covering this sort of material in a video format.

The Introduction alone consists of 26 videos. It seemed like a commercial for Lightroom rather than a tutorial. Seven of the lessons are devoted to "What's New" -- not too relevant for beginners. On the plus side, there were plenty of screen shots to familiarize us with the look of the software.

Unit 2 has 11 video lessons on importing pictures. That gives you an idea on how much detail is here. If that's what you need, you'll find this product useful.
on March 11, 2011
I have never owned a SLR camera and never used a photo editing software like LR3 before. I'm a very visual leaner, therefore, appreciate being able to see not only the menus and what they select, but how to use the features and see the effects to the photos "real time".

They also discussed general topics as to how to organize files, folders, catalogs, collections, (can get overwhelming w/out some instruction and context for how to use all the features), etc. I continually go back to the DVD as I try to use the software but can't remember exactly how to from my first overview of all the lessons. Every time I review a feature/section, I seem to pick up more tips that I missed with the first viewing.

If you don't like to read and/or don't want to spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to interpret and apply written instructions vs. seeing a "live" demonstration, then this DVD/learning method is for you! I love it.
on December 17, 2010
No reason to restate all the positive comments. I just wanted to chime in to say that I, too, think this was a great purchase. I have been watching in "Watch and Work" mode, and really like being able to follow along; I learn by doing more than just by watching. Light Room has so many features that I can't imagine learning them all, but this video makes it simple. There are even chapter tests after each chapter. Very polished and professional.
on November 16, 2010
This video was well paced and hit all of the highlights of the program it taught how to use most of the buttons and features of lightroom 3. It gave reasonable examples and by showing the screen shots of what was being talked about there was a ready reinforcement. I have already gone back to some of the chapters as a reference when I needed to do certain tasks. Would highly recommend this work.
on April 13, 2011
I can go over the material as often as I like to makes sure I understand and remember. There are little quizzes at the end of each section that are very helpful too. The presenters are easy to understand and overall very good.
on October 29, 2010
The Tim Grey Lightroom video is a great learning tool. The content and pace are well suited for the beginner and intermediate user. The use of specific examples really enhancing the learning experience.
on September 25, 2013
For some of us viewing a video (instead of reading a book) is a better way to learn how to use software. I've purchased several "Learn by Video" training materials and have found them to be comprehensive, well organized, and easy to follow. I can pause and practice, or go back and review prior lessons at any time.