Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
Learn Calligraphy: The Complete Book of Lettering and Design Paperback – February 20, 2001
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
From the Inside Flap
In an age of myriad computer fonts and instant communication, your handwriting style is increasingly a very personal creation. In this book, Margaret Shepherd, America's premier calligrapher, shows you that calligraphy is not simply a craft you can learn, but an elegant art form that you can make your own.
Calligraphy remains perennially popular, often adorning wedding invitations, diplomas, and commercial signs. Whether it is Roman, Gothic, Celtic, Bookhand, or Italic style, calligraphy conveys class and elegance. Margaret Shepherd makes this ancient art form accessible in a completely hand-lettered technical guide that will:
* Provide context for calligraphy as an art, exploring the rich tradition of hand-lettering and mapping the evolution of the most popular styles.
* Give detailed technical advice on choosing pens, paper, and inks, setting up your workspace, mastering various pen angles, along with step-by-step illustrations to guide you as you practice.
* Explain which alphabets are appropriate for different forms of writing. For example, the Roman alphabet works well for short, unpunctuated passages, while the Italic alphabet is more suited to informal everyday communication.
* Encourage you to personalize your lettering by using variant strokes and interpreting how you would like the words to look on the page.
* Inspire you with carefully chosen illustrations and examples, which bring letters to life.
In Margaret Shepherd's own words, "Calligraphy trains not only your eye and hand, but your mind as well." Learn Calligraphy is the authoritative primer for this age-old craft, and will help develop a new appreciation for lettering as you discover yourcreative personality.
About the Author
Margaret Shepherd is a noted calligrapher and author, with an impressive roster of high-profile clients. She has published thirteen instruction books for calligraphers of all levels. All her books, including the bestselling Learning Calligraphy, are done in hand-lettered text. She has researched, taught, written, and freelanced extensively, and has exhibited her work in many museum and gallery exhibitions. She lives in Boston.
Browse award-winning titles. See more
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top Customer Reviews
My daughter expressed an interest in trying calligraphy last time we were at a craft store, so I was looking for some calligraphy supplies to give her as a Christmas gift. I came across this book listing on amazon and the author's name seemed familiar. Looking at the pages on the 'see inside' feature took me back to when I was a kid learning from this book.
I can't recall much about it as far as layout and specific lessons or styles, but I do remember having hours and hours of fun practicing from this book. I also remember that I used it until it fell apart, and then actually cut it apart and rebound it with a comb binder so I could keep using it. I probably still have it around in a box somewhere.
I went ahead and purchased a new copy for my daughter, along with another calligraphy book that got good reviews. I hope she enjoys it as much as I did as a child!
The text was a little difficult to follow at first, but it wasn't that big a problem.