Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 59 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 76 reviews
on March 3, 2015
Wow! This guy explains everything so clearly that you may not need a teacher. I learned more reading this book - and understood it - than in many hours in music class at school. One of those perfect books - like The Elements of Style - short, sweet, crystal clear explanations, and engaging. This is a keeper.
on May 24, 2016
This book is easy to read and comprehend and if you follow the hints and directions given to you, your understanding of music increases steadily. I'm glad I spotted this book on Amazon. I couldn't find it anywhere else and that includes certain bookstores which will remain nameless.
on December 19, 2015
This book was given as a gift to a very musically talented person who had never had the opportunity to learn to read music. Before giving the gift, I perused the contents and was so impressed with the layout and easy instruction. The recipient was grateful that someone actually wrote a book that addressed her desire to learn. After completing the book, she plans to join a community choir that requires music reading skills, something she thought she'd never be able to do.
on November 14, 2003
This book is THE most useful book I've purchased and read on how to read music so far. I have just started learning to play the violin (I am in my mid-40s)and although all my life I've sung and music is, and has always been, a huge part of my life(many of my family members are accomplished musicians)I've never played an instrument or had any formal musical theory training. This book is the reference I have gone back to again and again as I progress with my violin and I have questions or areas that aren't clear to me (such as the concepts of major and minor scale, flats/sharps/accidentals and how they came about). . not only does this book take you from the very basics to the complex, Howard Shanet takes the time to explain WHY certain things are the way they are in written music. I was struggling with some concepts and when my teacher explained them to me I didn't get it....I looked it up in a smaller book on music theory and the explanation was there but I still didn't quite get it . . and then I looked up the subject (this happened to be accidentals/flats and sharps and also time meters) in this book and because Howard Shanet explained why sharps and flats are written the way they are, I was able to understand the concept and work beyond it. Just an excellent book and I recommend it to anyone learning to read and play music. It is true, this book will not teach you how to play any instrument, BUT without the basics and theory in this book it would be very difficult for me to progress with my violin playing. Highly recommend it.
11 comment| 175 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 5, 2013
I have wanted to take violin lessons and have finally found a fantastic teacher locally. Upon starting my lessons, I realized I did not remember the notes from taking piano as a child. I researched on Amazon and found this book by Howard Shanet on Learn to Read Music, and it is absolutely wonderful! Easy to understand, and my violin teacher just told me I am doing great in my new endeavor. I will be getting one for my grandson who is taking piano and is 7 y/o
The book arrived quickly, well packaged and much appreciated. Thank you Amazon and Amazon sellers, once again you have excelled in providing great service and sellers.
on July 19, 2014
This book has been invaluable for me. I'm in my 40's with no musical background and purchased this book when I started playing the Violin over 2 years ago. I read the book cover to cover when I received it just to get an understanding about reading music. Over the past 2 years, I've pulled this book out so many times, this book has been a gem for me. I'm now at 2 years 7 months playing and I just pulled the book out again to try and understand the melodic minor, and harmonic minor scales-I get it now. I understand the subject is dry but the topic is what it is and this book helps me to understand the subject.
on February 26, 2015
I'm returning to playing the piano after many years. I needed a refresher on reading music, and this book was fantastic. I've learned new things while brushing up on what I used to know. I got another copy for my son, who doesn't have any musical training. I think it would be very useful even for people who are learning from scratch.
on May 22, 2011
This small book is the best book ever to teach you to read music. It assumes you know nothing. By the time you finish, you will be able to read music. Over the years, I have read many books on this subject. None of them come close to this book. This is the best book I have seen on this subject. Doesn't matter whether you are a singer, or want to play an instrument. If you want to read music, this book is Highly recommended.
on November 13, 2015
I bought this book as a gift for a child who has an interest in writing songs and singing. After receiving this item I learned that this is not designed for children to read by themselves. This is definitely designed for an adult.
on December 14, 2008
I have read many books on music theory and have never and I mean NEVER found a book that teaches so much, so well, in so little space. His language is succinct and to the point. Even though it was written about 50 years ago I consider this the best book on learning musical notation, especially rhythm which he spends a great deal of time on because of its importance and difficulty. After you the book, it won't be difficult. A must for all piano teachers or just anyone who wants to learn how to read music with the least waste of time.