Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Magazine Deals Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on July 10, 2015
Fluenz is the best Spanish program we have used. We are homeschoolers, and over the years I tried several different programs with our children, including Rosetta stone, Berlitz, and Learnables. All of them fell short of our expectations. Fluenz is absolutely amazing compared to those other programs.

(Rosetta Stone was very confusing to my daughter, because they never explained anything, and expected her to learn through "immersion." I did the Rosetta Stone program myself up to level/year 4, and I think I only gained about 1-2 years of high school level Spanish )

The Fluenz program is highly superior to all the other programs. It provides a teacher who speaks in English, and who teaches the lesson and explains anything that is confusing. The practices are very thorough, and my daughter's accent is extremely good. Many people have commented that she sounds like a native speaker.

You can repeat or skip any sections that you want to. You learn through pictures and video, conversations, and also through extensive writing/grammar exercises. The entire program can be done on the computer.

As a mom who homeschools 5 children, and who has only a basic knowledge of Spanish, I really appreciated the fact that my daughter could do her entire Spanish program on her own. That freed up my time to help her with some of her other classwork. With Fluenz, I know my children could learn any language, regardless of my own person knowledge.

The only negative to this program is that there is a lot of repetition. So if you have a child who highly dislikes repetition, they may not like it. But honestly, without the repetition, you probably will not retain much of what you learned.

Soon, when my daughter is done with this program, she is going to test out of college Spanish through the CLEP program. You can get up to 14 college credits that way.

I tend to be very picky about curriculum, but I have to say that I cannot be more pleased with Fluenz.
22 comments| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 3, 2017
I never review products, however I will make an exception in this case. While I cannot compare Fluenz to other Spanish language software, I can compare it to the two years of H.S. Spanish, a year of Latin and two years of German in college. I really wish this was available back when I struggled with those courses. This requires work, but it is not tedious.
on June 24, 2014
I purchased this as I am unable to commit to a summer semester but wanted something I could work on in my own time.
I previously used Rosetta Stone but quickly became disheartened when all I could do was name a few objects and couldn't string the words I learned together to form a coherent sentence.
Close to a month in of using this program and I can honeslty say I am really enjoying it and feeling comfortable with my knowledge of the language and already moving toward having quick, "hey, how are you doing?" / "He's out at lunch right now" conversations with Spanish speaking co-workers. I try to spend one hour each weeknight on a class, and I repeat the class at least twice before moving on. I'd say I'm average when it comes to learning a new language. Slow and steady is my motto.
Fluenz uses social media well and Sonia Gil is active on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube that I find it a nice break from the learning environment to check out her page and stay influenzed (see what I did there?) and motivated to stick with the program.
Each class builds upon things learned from the previous 2-3 classes to really get the material to stick with you and there are multiple excercises in each class that help you read, write, vocalize and visualize the words you are learning.
One thing I was not aware of was the need for a microphone. I think I had assumed that there would be one with the program. There isn't, and it's a must have to really be able to speak the lingo and listen back to how you would sound if your name was Pedro.
on September 10, 2017
My husband needs to learn spanish in order to take a test to move him along while trying to get his Phd, and after reading great reviews and not so great reviews of rosetta stone, we finally decided on this one. My husband loves it! It's so comprehensive and challenging. He does a lesson everyday and is about two months into it. It's about a 3-4 month course if you do it daily. Wonderful buy as my hubby can already translate many things in Spanish already!
on February 12, 2017
This program is absolutely fantastic. It teaches you in a manner that doesn't just flood you with vocab words to memorize, it teaches you just enough so you don't get overwhelmed and forget the information. However, the only way to learn a new language is to have someone to speak it with because memorization will only take you so far. Unless you have someone to practice with, purchasing any type of language learning program isn't going to do a whole lot of good. I'd also combine this with another tool such as a language learning podcast or even Duolingo just for some extra vocab.
on January 9, 2014
I rarely write reviews but I had to for Fluenz Spanish. They have hit language instruction for adults dead on. I have been struggling with Spanish on and off since high school. I learn a little, lose interest in the learning method, and never get past the basics. As a police officer I feel I should have functional Spanish conversational skills and the "should" is turning into "need" every year, both to serve others and also to protect myself. I had tried Rosetta in the past and it was OK, but after several weeks I felt I had not learned anything useful. Honestly, I got good at understanding a little and guessing the rest. After a renewed commitment to learn Spanish for good, I researched my options and decided to try Fluenz. GOOD CHOICE!! The style of teaching is easy, builds upon itself, and drills down on both learning and retention. I committed to treat this like a college class and do one session, plus review the last session, 4-6 times a week. I have learned and retained more than through any other self instruction method. If you have tried others and have given up - TRY THIS!!
on April 23, 2014
This is very good. But learning a new language still takes work. I gave it the full five stars because it is a quality program. The developers put a lot of effort into this, and it shows. but in all fairness I also have "the stone" and it is more fun. To be fair I think you need both to really learn spanish. I unlike others do not feel it necessary to belittle the competition. This gives it to you like a "Big Boy" no games but still some fun interaction and a better understanding of what you are saying. So if you can afford it get both. This is a very good program if you are prepared to study. If you will take a spanish course in school use this first.
on January 30, 2010
I went on a vacation to Costa Rica, and resolved to learn Spanish. I studied French in high school and college, and I enjoyed it for the most part. I've NEVER had an opportunity to actually use my French, as I've found that everyone who speaks French usually speaks English. So, I thought I would try to learn Spanish, and maybe I could actually use it.

I found a website which reviewed many Spanish Learning Software packages, and many of them are only PC compatible. The two highest rated Mac compatibles were Fluenz and Rosetta Stone, #2 & #3, respectively. I had seen the Rosetta Stone commercials ad nauseum, so I thought it would be a good starting point. The "no drills" and "no memorization" aspects sounded great, so RS was my starting point.

I started out with Rosetta Stone 1, 2, & 3. RS is a beautiful program, with lovely pictures, and an intuitive interface. There were many, many times when I was clueless as to what to do, so I would just click until I got it right. RS would sense this, and would present the material again until I scored 90% or better. However, there WERE times when I would figure out the answer through the process off elimination, without truly understanding what I was saying/doing. For example, "comprar": did it mean "to shop" or "to buy"? I couldn't tell. Also, the speech recognition on Rosetta Stone could prove to be very temperamental. There were some words, some ONE-SYLLABLE words, that RS simply couldn't accept. I would record them with my iPhone, and play it back into the microphone, and it STILL wouldn't work. These occasions were rare, but troublesome. There were multi-syllable words or phrases that I had to use the iPhone trick for. I could repeat it one hundred times into the microphone, and it would NEVER NEVER accept what I said. After a while, I felt like I was getting great practice on how to record phrases with my iPhone, but for learning Spanish, my progress was slow. Also, I wasn't learning anything practical for use as a tourist. I want to learn how to bargain a little bit: "I will give you fifty, OK?" I wasn't getting that with Rosetta Stone. I think I completed Disc 2 of RS. Again, it was good, but there were many things that I wasn't sure about.

I heard about Fluenz from that website, and decided to give it a try. I ordered 1+2+3+4+5. A bit ambitious, but, like anything, the unit price goes down when you buy in bulk. I just finished up the first disc, so I'm not at any kind of expert level, but I liked what I've seen so far. I feel like I've really nailed the present tense conjugations of the following words: To Be (both Estar and Ser), To Go (very useful for meatball future tense), To Want, To Need, To Eat, To Drink. These words will get a tourist through a great many situations.

Fluenz's approach is different than Rosetta Stone. They start with Sonia Gil giving an intro, then a simple conversation between two or more people. You can listen to it without subtitles, with Spanish subtitles, or with English and Spanish subtitles. You should listen to it three times, once with each subtitle option. Sonia comes back, and breaks down the dialog, explaining what each word means, and how they relate to each other. There are then various drills, many of which involve typing down what you hear. These are challenging, and fun for me. I pride myself on my spelling, and these can be hard but satisfying to complete.

Fluenz does NOT use voice-recognition, which simply and effectively eliminates the frustrations I had with RS. My accent may not be as polished as it might be with RS, but at least I'm not fretting about getting stuck on a certain passage, wondering if it is me or the computer that is at fault. However, Fluenz DOES make use of the microphone. The aforementioned conversations are repeated, with you taking the role of one of the characters. You say the line that is shown, and click 'stop', and the conversation continues. You then play back the conversation, so you can hear your own voice. At that point in the lesson, you can tell if your accent is crap or not. And this works for me. I want to be a tourist, not a Telemundo newscaster. If I can crack a joke in Spanish, and make a senorita laugh, then this whole language thing will have paid off.

One thing I've found to be kind of humorous: Sonia Gil is very attractive. Sometimes my mind goes blank, as I'm just staring at her face, and I miss what she said completely. Doh!

MacBook users: Both Rosetta Stone and Fluenz work beautifully with my 2009 MacBook. No external microphones needed. RS adjusts the sensitivity of the microphone automatically, Fluenz does not. You will have to go System Preferences/Sound to adjust it. Once you do, it is done. No problem.

I recommend Fluenz over Rosetta Stone, especially if you are an adult who wants to 'speak tourist'. Rosetta Stone is good, but the little snags proved to be frustrating for me. Fluenz is more real world oriented, with expressions like: "We are going to the store together, would you like to come?", whereas Rosetta Stone had expressions like: "The car is in front of the house" or "the dog wants meat"

The people at Fluenz are great as well. I ordered 1+2+3+4+5, but I only received 1+2+3. I contacted Amazon, who said "Because Fluenz's inventory is constantly changing, we can't replace items sold by them that are Fulfilled by Amazon." I could either return the whole thing, or they could refund part of the money. I let Fluenz know about this, and they promptly sent me the missing discs 4+5. So Fluenz's customer service is great. Over educated young college grads.

Follow Up: 5/17/10: I've been using Fluenz, off and on, (it's hard to remain focused), but to address my previous statement: "For example, "comprar": did it mean "to shop" or "to buy"? I couldn't tell. " Comprar means both "to shop for" and "to buy". Doh!

I trade comments with Sonia on Facebook, she's the best! Nothing wrong with Rosetta Stone, but Fluenz is the real deal, in my opinion.
1515 comments| 1,064 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 19, 2017
I am not usually one to write reviews unless I come across a product as effective and fun as Fluenz. I have been going through the Spanish training for 6 weeks and I already am feeling somewhat confident in my current (although still limited) abilities and that I will be able to get to a point of fluency in time. Fluenz is different from any other language course I've taken. This course builds your grammar and vocabulary using everyday scenarios and gives you building blocks on which to build. They are tools that you can then employ to make many different sentences. Each day I look forward to the hour I spend studying Spanish with Fluenz.
on July 7, 2017
I recently desired to visit Latin America and used this program as an introduction to Spanish. I had taken Spanish in college, but that was about 10 years ago. The first unit will guide you through a good set of scenarios that will be very useful for general interactions on a vacation. I got around the airport and restaurants well and engaged in some basic conversations with locals. I am now into unit 2 and hope to take another trip soon.

I would highly recommend this program over others because it emphasizes s speaking and listening (the 2 most challenging aspects of learning a new language), and supplies workouts that really are applicable to common situations.