Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 239 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 337 reviews
on July 10, 2015
Fluenz is the best Spanish program we have used. We are homeschoolers, and over the years I tried several different programs with our children, including Rosetta stone, Berlitz, and Learnables. All of them fell short of our expectations. Fluenz is absolutely amazing compared to those other programs.

(Rosetta Stone was very confusing to my daughter, because they never explained anything, and expected her to learn through "immersion." I did the Rosetta Stone program myself up to level/year 4, and I think I only gained about 1-2 years of high school level Spanish )

The Fluenz program is highly superior to all the other programs. It provides a teacher who speaks in English, and who teaches the lesson and explains anything that is confusing. The practices are very thorough, and my daughter's accent is extremely good. Many people have commented that she sounds like a native speaker.

You can repeat or skip any sections that you want to. You learn through pictures and video, conversations, and also through extensive writing/grammar exercises. The entire program can be done on the computer.

As a mom who homeschools 5 children, and who has only a basic knowledge of Spanish, I really appreciated the fact that my daughter could do her entire Spanish program on her own. That freed up my time to help her with some of her other classwork. With Fluenz, I know my children could learn any language, regardless of my own person knowledge.

The only negative to this program is that there is a lot of repetition. So if you have a child who highly dislikes repetition, they may not like it. But honestly, without the repetition, you probably will not retain much of what you learned.

Soon, when my daughter is done with this program, she is going to test out of college Spanish through the CLEP program. You can get up to 14 college credits that way.

I tend to be very picky about curriculum, but I have to say that I cannot be more pleased with Fluenz.
on March 3, 2017
I never review products, however I will make an exception in this case. While I cannot compare Fluenz to other Spanish language software, I can compare it to the two years of H.S. Spanish, a year of Latin and two years of German in college. I really wish this was available back when I struggled with those courses. This requires work, but it is not tedious.
on January 25, 2014
Simply the best. I spoke 0 spanish prior to this, and knew nothing and now in level 4 I can hold up a conversation. Sonia takes you and is your tutor for the whole program. She explains everything and never leaves you confused with something, but if you are confused, Fluenz has a whole online community that you can ask questions and an employee writes back to you. Or other users write back to you. The online community is fantastic. It is other people trying to learn just like you are.

Fluenz takes you on a journey and your own personal tutor is there for it. Sonia is fantastic. The workouts in fluenz make you remember the words without countless hours of just studying vocab. I'm halfway done with level 4 and at most 1 workout takes me 30-45 mins at level 4.

I'm halfway done with level 4, and I watch Spanish TV everyday and I have many Spanish friends who i talk with. I can have a conversation in Spanish at this point. Fluenz sets up the ground work, but you have to get out there and do more to get that much better. Everyday since lesson 1 at level 1 I was watching TV in Spanish. Fluenz will get to a high level, but with any language program, you need to put work in to get results. This is a serious program for serious people who want to learn spanish. And you will get serious results. And fluenz is the best program out there to help you learn.

BUY THIS PROGRAM IS YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT LEARNING SPANISH. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT. WORTH EVERY CENT
on January 30, 2010
I went on a vacation to Costa Rica, and resolved to learn Spanish. I studied French in high school and college, and I enjoyed it for the most part. I've NEVER had an opportunity to actually use my French, as I've found that everyone who speaks French usually speaks English. So, I thought I would try to learn Spanish, and maybe I could actually use it.

I found a website which reviewed many Spanish Learning Software packages, and many of them are only PC compatible. The two highest rated Mac compatibles were Fluenz and Rosetta Stone, #2 & #3, respectively. I had seen the Rosetta Stone commercials ad nauseum, so I thought it would be a good starting point. The "no drills" and "no memorization" aspects sounded great, so RS was my starting point.

I started out with Rosetta Stone 1, 2, & 3. RS is a beautiful program, with lovely pictures, and an intuitive interface. There were many, many times when I was clueless as to what to do, so I would just click until I got it right. RS would sense this, and would present the material again until I scored 90% or better. However, there WERE times when I would figure out the answer through the process off elimination, without truly understanding what I was saying/doing. For example, "comprar": did it mean "to shop" or "to buy"? I couldn't tell. Also, the speech recognition on Rosetta Stone could prove to be very temperamental. There were some words, some ONE-SYLLABLE words, that RS simply couldn't accept. I would record them with my iPhone, and play it back into the microphone, and it STILL wouldn't work. These occasions were rare, but troublesome. There were multi-syllable words or phrases that I had to use the iPhone trick for. I could repeat it one hundred times into the microphone, and it would NEVER NEVER accept what I said. After a while, I felt like I was getting great practice on how to record phrases with my iPhone, but for learning Spanish, my progress was slow. Also, I wasn't learning anything practical for use as a tourist. I want to learn how to bargain a little bit: "I will give you fifty, OK?" I wasn't getting that with Rosetta Stone. I think I completed Disc 2 of RS. Again, it was good, but there were many things that I wasn't sure about.

I heard about Fluenz from that website, and decided to give it a try. I ordered 1+2+3+4+5. A bit ambitious, but, like anything, the unit price goes down when you buy in bulk. I just finished up the first disc, so I'm not at any kind of expert level, but I liked what I've seen so far. I feel like I've really nailed the present tense conjugations of the following words: To Be (both Estar and Ser), To Go (very useful for meatball future tense), To Want, To Need, To Eat, To Drink. These words will get a tourist through a great many situations.

Fluenz's approach is different than Rosetta Stone. They start with Sonia Gil giving an intro, then a simple conversation between two or more people. You can listen to it without subtitles, with Spanish subtitles, or with English and Spanish subtitles. You should listen to it three times, once with each subtitle option. Sonia comes back, and breaks down the dialog, explaining what each word means, and how they relate to each other. There are then various drills, many of which involve typing down what you hear. These are challenging, and fun for me. I pride myself on my spelling, and these can be hard but satisfying to complete.

Fluenz does NOT use voice-recognition, which simply and effectively eliminates the frustrations I had with RS. My accent may not be as polished as it might be with RS, but at least I'm not fretting about getting stuck on a certain passage, wondering if it is me or the computer that is at fault. However, Fluenz DOES make use of the microphone. The aforementioned conversations are repeated, with you taking the role of one of the characters. You say the line that is shown, and click 'stop', and the conversation continues. You then play back the conversation, so you can hear your own voice. At that point in the lesson, you can tell if your accent is crap or not. And this works for me. I want to be a tourist, not a Telemundo newscaster. If I can crack a joke in Spanish, and make a senorita laugh, then this whole language thing will have paid off.

One thing I've found to be kind of humorous: Sonia Gil is very attractive. Sometimes my mind goes blank, as I'm just staring at her face, and I miss what she said completely. Doh!

MacBook users: Both Rosetta Stone and Fluenz work beautifully with my 2009 MacBook. No external microphones needed. RS adjusts the sensitivity of the microphone automatically, Fluenz does not. You will have to go System Preferences/Sound to adjust it. Once you do, it is done. No problem.

I recommend Fluenz over Rosetta Stone, especially if you are an adult who wants to 'speak tourist'. Rosetta Stone is good, but the little snags proved to be frustrating for me. Fluenz is more real world oriented, with expressions like: "We are going to the store together, would you like to come?", whereas Rosetta Stone had expressions like: "The car is in front of the house" or "the dog wants meat"

The people at Fluenz are great as well. I ordered 1+2+3+4+5, but I only received 1+2+3. I contacted Amazon, who said "Because Fluenz's inventory is constantly changing, we can't replace items sold by them that are Fulfilled by Amazon." I could either return the whole thing, or they could refund part of the money. I let Fluenz know about this, and they promptly sent me the missing discs 4+5. So Fluenz's customer service is great. Over educated young college grads.

Follow Up: 5/17/10: I've been using Fluenz, off and on, (it's hard to remain focused), but to address my previous statement: "For example, "comprar": did it mean "to shop" or "to buy"? I couldn't tell. " Comprar means both "to shop for" and "to buy". Doh!

I trade comments with Sonia on Facebook, she's the best! Nothing wrong with Rosetta Stone, but Fluenz is the real deal, in my opinion.
1515 comments| 1,057 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 11, 2014
After trying the Rosetta Stone, a beginner's class, and numerous other programs I have struck gold with Fluenz. I am already on level 3 and when visiting Costa Rica after level 2 I was able to communicate!! Unlike other programs you learn the grammar simultaneously with talking and this makes for the first program that makes sense. It is like being in class with a great teacher!!
on December 23, 2013
A few years ago, I took a job that required me to live in China. Naturally I wanted to learn a bit of the language so I plopped down a pile of money on Rosetta Stone Mandarin. Six months later, I had decent vocabulary and no ability to speak or understand a lick.

Fluenz was new to the market at that time and so I gave them a shot. I immediately began to pick it up and use it on my travels. The combination of listening, speaking, reading, writing and translating in both directions *worked for me.* While both Rosetta Stone and Pimsleur would have you believe that their approach "let's you learn a new language the way you learned your first," trust me when I say that's ridiculous. You only get to learn your first language once, and that's while you're a little sponge running around the house listening to your parent.

The Fluenz approach is designed for adults who are trying to add a language, and frankly I think it's the right way.

I like the their programs so much that I went on to Spanish as a refresher for my secondary school studies (40 years hence) and I just ordered French for my 2014 challenge.

On top of the quality of the program and how well it works, Fluenz is an excellent company that supports its users and products. Every question I've asked has been answered quickly, politely and efficiently. Their ordering process is without peer, I ordered French at 3:50PM last Thursday and received it at 11AM Friday, and I live on the other side of the country. And, as a repeat customer they offer significant discounts each year around Christmas.

If you want to learn and you're willing to devote the time, Fluenz is the way to go. I can't wait to move on to Italian and German.
on November 3, 2014
The lessons are thoughtfully planned out, keeping the pace manageable. You're not forced to memorize tons of verb conjugations up front. Instead, they're woven-in gradually. Learning a language is all about repetition, so there's plenty of time to introduce tougher material in small bites, without ever having to torture the student.

I took Spanish I & II in college. And when I purchased Fluenz, I also bought Rosetta Stone. Between these three methods, I find Fluenz to be by far the best. I do a lesson each morning when I arrive at the office. I actually look forward to it. I'm almost done with the second disc.

The effort that when into preparing these lessons is obvious, and it really makes life easier for the student. Muy bien!
on January 7, 2015
I have really enjoyed using this product after trying a few different options.
Heres some background:
Used Duolingo for a bit due to the free use and easy access. It was interesting and fun but lacked alot of the basic needs for truly getting a hold on a language.
Costco's Spanish learning software. Simple and easy to use program, has a good variety of tools to learn the language, however if you have learned any spanish before alot of what you start out with can be drull and boring and the spanish lessons themselves can start to feel like vocabulary lessons.
Used a friends Rocketspanish, very good program may even be the best to learn from out of what I have tried, but not the most exciting to use and I could see it getting a bit dull and difficult to continue with over time.
Now for Fluenz. The program itself looks great, runs smooth and they have awesome customer service (I had trouble with installing and it was dealt with right away). The woman teaching does have some tendencies as she talks that I could see getting annoying but since you are not sitting there staring at her for an hour I havn't found it to be troublesome at all. The program itself is set up fantastically really punching in the vocab with each lesson giving you a good variety of options to learn from and keeping it visually stimulating. I appreciated their use of functional conversation tools, by that I mean words and sentences you will and can actually use when traveling or in basic conversation. I could even see just using the first disc quickly before a trip to get a hold on some simple tools to use in a spanish speaking country. Reasoning behind the 4 stars is simply the price and some of the aspects getting repetitive but you will find that in any program. Overall I would definitely recommend this product.
on September 10, 2013
I've been using this product for a few weeks and find it very helpful. I did a lot of research of Fluenz versus Rosetta Stone and decided to go with Fluenz because of my learning style. It is very interactive and makes it enjoyable to learn. You're not just sitting there looking at words then finding out what they mean. They have videos, practice converstations where you hear the conversation in Spanish, then see the conversation in Spanish with english subtitles. It hammers in words by using different methods, visual, typing, matching English with Spanish phrases. I've been using it on a Mac and PC (can install on up to 3 computers) and have had no problems with the software yet, although I'm only in Lesson 1. The main lady in the video can be a little annoying with her talking so much about how great the program is. But she's still effective nevertheless. There are hours and hours and hours of videos and they are done professionally with nice subtle background music rather than have everything quiet. It also allows you to speak back and record how you say the words which was interesting in playing the recording. I'd highly recommend this product for anyone that's serious about learning Spanish.
on May 27, 2014
I am into this program about one-third the way and I enjoy it a great deal. I previously had Rosetta but did not care for the approach and especially the exorbitant charges for using on-line services.

Fluenz is oriented to the adult who wants to begin with the basics one uses in everyday activities and settings. There are five main DVDs plus five "talk" DVDs. You are asked to read with no subtitles, both English and Spanish or Spanish alone. I have some background in Spanish so I have used only the Spanish alone or none. You are also asked to speak sentences and to listen to your, or in my, case "gringo accent". The program encourages you to repeat all exercises three times in a given assignment which helps to embed the vocabulary into you AND for you to develop comprehension of listening to Spanish.

Tech support was fast and complete although I only had one problem with voice activation. This compares with my Rosetta experience which was a real problem.

My only complaint thus far is the hostess talks too much but you can adjust that out. The price as far as I am concerned is fine.

I also am taking non-credit Spanish classes at a local college with emphasis on grammar and verbs (Todos los verbos de espanol son irregular. Recuerde no!)

Would I recommend the program. Yes Buen fortuna!