Industrial Deals HPC Trade in your textbooks Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 3, 2015
Great songs. My husband is vietnamese, but his vietnamese is not that good. I wanted to find a way to get my infant familiar with the sounds of Vietnamese language through passive listening. The songs are good but the actual singing portion is too short in duration- seems like 15 min. Half the CD is just instrumental so the listener can sing on their own, but useless for people who are only getting a handle on Vietnamese dialect and definitely useless for what I needed: passive listening for an infant. I also wish they introduced the alphabet and how to pronounce it. The book introduces it, but would be more helpful if you can hear the pronunciations/intonations broken down too. I have a language CD for Chinese that is so much better- slow speaking of poems and rhymes that maximize the different intonations and sounds used in Mandarin, intermixed with music that lasts 60 minutes. They should have a Vietnamese version too.
on April 2, 2012
I will start by saying my kids already spoke vietnamese before this purchase. This product is probably more geared towards kids from Vitenamese parents. Not really a warning but an FYI, without some type of a background knowldge of Vietnamese, you will not learn the language from this book alone. That being said, you do not need to speak vietnamese to appreciate these songs. My kids love singing these songs. After hearing this cd end to end hundreds of times I think they know them all by heart. The music is beatiful and addictive to listen to no matter what you understand of the lyrics.
on May 17, 2016
The songs are cute and my 19 month old girl can sing some of them. The Singers on the CD do not sound annoying. I wish they had more Songs. Instead, they have the song track with lyrics, followed by another track with just instrumentals. I am taking away 2 stars for the price and quality of the item. Flimsy paperback with black and white pictures that can be seen through the next page. It will not last very long for a toddler. Pages are already torn after a few weeks.
on October 6, 2017
Catchy songs! I have to make sure I learned the lyrics to sing along.
on February 17, 2012
Bought it for my almost 3yrs old daughter. She loves it. She frequently asks for "Buom Vang" (yellow butterfly) music. Music is much more cheerful compare to the Spanish-sing-n-learn type of music. We sing along and dance (exercise for me, mom) with the music. She also starts saying words like "Kia con buom vang", "chai toc the" (brush/comb yr long hair), which is very good to get her hair brushed. I use "danh rang ham" (brush your teeth) to get her brushing at night.

Overall, great buy! But don't expect Grammy-Award-Music or anything.

The reason I took 1 star off the rating is because, it's hard to learn any tonational languages (Vietnamese, Chinese, etc) via songs unless you know how the tones go.

I'm looking for another one similar to this.
on May 27, 2012
I bought this book of children's songs to help me learn Vietnamese. When I received it I was pleasantly surprised that it included a CD with the songs. It is an excellent resource! Listening to the CD while reading the lyrics helps you to understand the pronunciation of the many different accented vowels. It includes the translation in English. Charming songs. Children's songs help you learn basics of language (just as they help children learn). Lots of repetition, colors, family members, animals, traditions and culture, body parts, counting, etc. CD also has instramental versions of the songs without vocals so you can practice. Great buy, great bargain!
on February 19, 2010
I bought this book for our son (1 year old) who is growing up bilingual. He loves the music and moves his arms to it (his version of dancing); the tunes are very catchy and you can listen to them many times (even on repeat) and still enjoy them. The songs are a mixture of American (translated to Vietnamese) and Vietnamese songs; I mostly enjoy the Vietnamese one's.

One of the two singers (Kelly Vu) does not get all the Vietnamese tones right (or as my wife puts it: she sounds a bit like me). In any case, it is sung in the Southern Vietnamese accent. The book contains the lyrics (very good), it's black-and-white inside. Overall, good - our son really likes it.
on October 2, 2015
My 3.5 and 5.5 kids love it, even though they don't speak Vietnamese. They are half Vietnamese, so are exposed to the language sometimes.
on May 4, 2007
As a half-Vietnamese person, you would think that I grew up learning two languages, English and Vietnamese, but I didn't. My mother never taught us; she said it was too hard when everyone else around us, including my father, spoke only English. Now as an adult, I find myself reaching to touch my Vietnamese roots, and I wish that I could have learned to speak the language. With the birth of my daughter, I also felt the growing importance of teaching her about her Vietnamese roots as well. This book and CD is the first thing I have found that is appropriate for a toddler, and I am so glad I bought it. My two year old daughter started picking up words right away, and sometimes sings along with parts of the songs. Equally important is the fact that the actually asks to hear the CD and really likes the music, because if it isn't fun, toddlers aren't going be the willing learners that you want them to be.

The book contains translations of the songs, explanations on how to pronounce letters and words in Vietnamese, and some cute illustrations. The songs seem a little fast at first and you think you will never learn to catch up, but with repetition it gets easier, and soon you will be singing along, too!

If you are looking for a way to introduce Vietnamese to your child (or to yourself!) this is a great place to start. Vietnamese is a tonal language, and my mother says that singing is the perfect way to begin learning the tonalities. Highly recommended.
on May 17, 2014
This book was purchased with an accompanying CD. The CD was advertised but a tape casett was sent instead. Bad advertisement! My Grandchildren do not own a casset player and probably will never see one unless they go to a museum.