Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on January 21, 2017
While already outdated as of this writing, it is still the most current "book" on ZF2 (2 stars for that). "Learning By Example" is a fitting title under certain circumstances: if you already understand the basic concepts of ZF (structures, syntax). For example the code included in the book is incomplete in certain areas and the only way to know that is to already know what's missing just from glancing over the provided code, so in that aspect it's a great learning tool to reinforce prior knowledge. Throughout this book you'll encounter many real life examples (building blocks) as you're working towards a final/standalone application.

Before delving in this book and to get the most out of this book, I would recommend taking a look at the official Zend site under documentation (the "learn" section) and traverse the examples there; get familiar with the structure, options, and capabilities first. If you're brand new to ZF/2 I probably would not recommend this book; if you're new to PHP, you're definitely in the wrong area of Amazon!
One person found this helpful
on March 21, 2014
I have written software for over twenty years, assembly, c, basic, c++, java. I picked up 2 prior books on Zend. One delved straight into array setup in the various files, the other in step by step how to.

This book gives you an explicit diagrammed overview as well as step by step and the reason behind doing things in Zend.

Zend appears to be a robust framework with all the bells and whistles but, has a steep learning curve. This book is by far the best I've read on it. I shows you the forest and the trees. I recommend this book over all the others.
9 people found this helpful
on November 14, 2014
If you're new to Zend Framework 2, this book will infuriate you. It is filled with typos, errors, and vague explanations. The author even leaves out entire files or chunks of code in some chapters, leaving the reader to wonder why his or her application fails when he or she followed directions exactly as written. The only saving grace for this book is there's a git repository that follows along with each chapter. While this repository isn't perfectly synchronized with the book, it does provide actually functioning code. I have worked with ZF2 for over a year, so I was able to progress through the book well enough, but I can't imagine being new to ZF2 and trying to follow along. The author doesn't explain the reasoning behind many of the things he does, just shows some code and moves on. This doesn't teach someone how to do something. So if you're looking to "Learn ZF2," as the book title suggests, I recommend finding a resource that isn't full of errors and explains itself clearly. If you're familiar with ZF2 already and are just looking for some best practices, as I was, this book does have some usefulness for you, though you could save some money and simply read some free developer blogs and tutorials online for that.
3 people found this helpful
|33 comments|Report abuse
on July 8, 2015
As another review pointed out, the first application module that is a copy of the first module does not work appropriately when following instructions outlined in book. Why has this not been updated? It's extremely frustrating. Unfortunately the automatic ZF Tool module creation does not work either. The only other alternative is downloading the Zend IDE (which I didn't try because of the cost). I am completely new to ZF so you can imagine I got nowhere with this book.

In general it seems like there are no good books on PHP frameworks. I decided to try this one out based on the good reviews but was disappointed.
on January 23, 2017
Tons of errors and omissions in the book, I had actually got to the point where I was highlighting them. I have not found a ZF2 book worth buying to this point, including this one... and ZF3 is already out. Sort of wasted cash on this one.
on December 24, 2014
I purchased this to cram for the ZF2 Architect exam, and it helped a lot. I read it on the flight out to ZendCon (and took their prep class) and it was enough for me to pass.

I did not do the book examples as I read, but I had been building ZF2 apps for a year or two, so most of the techniques were familiar. The value was hearing someone else refer to the patterns by name and indicate the general best practices, or how things were intended to be used.

I recall there being some problems in the text- code that had errors, and lots of times the translation to English was a little bit off. But overall worth it.
on November 26, 2013
Highly recommended. An awesome book written in clear and concise manner. I wish Official documentation was written in that way. It gives you understanding and confidence when you are trying to make sense of Zend Framework 2 as a beginner.

As a beginner, First thing I noticed was plethora of technical terms like Controller plugins, Service Factory, Annotation, A long list of fancy words ( Event Manager, Service Manager, Service Locator, Doctrine 2 ) and so on. It does not make sense ( to newbie ) and Official documentation does not provide good examples to understand the difference between Controller plugin and Service Factory. Another example is Doctrine 2. Everyone praising usage of Doctrine 2 but giving half baked examples for new comers. Here comes Learn ZF2: Learning by Example to rescue you from banging your head against the wall.

It helps to understand , for example, how to start working with Doctrine, Overview and Understanding of Event based architecture etc. Best thing is that It normally answers the questions which comes to newbie's mind which many experience developers overlook while writing articles/blogs.

For example, You create form from Entity class for a given table. All fields for form of that entity will be created for you. But nobody mentions from where Submit button will come from? Is there anything in Doctrine to make that button which is not part of Entity object ? If not what is available option ? or if there are lot of tables, Do we need to create a class for each table when using Table Gateway? This book answers those so-called silly questions of novice person.

In short, It is kind of reference book for me due excellent way of explaining concept and useful yet practical examples. I highly recommend this one for beginner / intermediate developer working on Zend Framework 2 to do thing in smart and right way.
7 people found this helpful
on November 19, 2013
This book has met my expectation for completeness by covering all important areas of Zend Framework 2. There I found also other interesting areas like integrating ZF2 with ORM layer Doctrine. Among the first pages you can see an architectural scheme which depict the entire ZF2 workflow. From user's request to generating system response. Of course this book is not for beginner PHP programmers. It requires some experience.
on May 1, 2017
This is really a great book for understanding of Zend Framework 2. I learnt a lot of best practices from this book. It also helped me to pass ZF2 Certification. I highly recommend to any person who want to learn the use of ZF2.
on August 8, 2014
Great balance between comprehensive and concise. Nice practical example app. Good use of Git to stage the examples. I used it as a prep for the ZF2 certification exam. It definitely is not perfectly suited as test prep, but it's the best out there as far as I can see so far. It covers ServiceManager, SharedEventManager, MVC components, Form components, security, etc. It gets into a good Doctrine 2 intro, which obviously you don't need for the test, but I'm very glad it's included, as we prefer Doctrine 2 in our apps. Anyway, using this book, combined with my practical experience, I managed to pass the exam. Eventually if the official test prep material comes out, that will be better, but this book did the trick for me.