Learning American Sign Language: Levels I & II--Beginning & Intermediate 2nd Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
Order now and we'll deliver when available.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
From the Back Cover
This book is designed to help learners successfully interact with American Sign Language (ASL) users. Written by two leading authorities in the field, the 24 lessons in this book cover Beginning and Intermediate or Level I and II courses of study. Lessons are structured around language needed for common life situations, and examples are presented in the form of dialogues coupled with grammar and vocabulary instruction. Information is also included about the culture of Deaf people in the United States. The book is supported by a videotape and an instructor's manual.
Learners will discover that the text:
- Contains lessons designed around the conversational language needed for common life situations.
- Illustrates hundreds of sentences and vocabulary with over 2,000 high quality colorized drawings that aid in study and memory.
- Contains over 100 grammar and cultural notes, 72 exercises, and charts of the American Manual Alphabet (Finger spelling) and ASL number system.
- Teaches the rules of ASL in a natural order that is predictable and compatible with everyday language of native users of American Sign Language.
- Incorporates information about the cultural lives of Deaf people in the United States.
- Is supported by a video demonstrating all the conversations and important structures in the text.
Video to Accompany American Sign Language, 2/e
Order No. 0-205-27554-0
American Sign Language students will find themselves captivated and entertained by this state-of-the-art Video that presents all 72 dialogues and each key structure from the text in a clear and natural way. Four internationally known Deaf actors animate the dialogues bringing life to the illustrations in the text allowing students to preview and review instructional materials at home to enhance their classroom learning.
About the authors:
Tom Humphries is Associate Director of the Teacher Education Program and also teaches in the Department of Communication at the University of California, San Diego. He is currently coordinating a program to train teachers of deaf children using a bilingual approach. Prior to this he taught at Gallaudet University in the Department of English for several years and later served as an Associate Dean for the San Diego Community College District where he coordinated the development of an ASL program and an interpreter-training program. He holds a Ph.D. in Cross Cultural Communication and Language Learning. Dr. Humphries is co-author with Carol Padden of Deaf in America: Voices from a Culture and several other books and articles related to ASL and the culture of Deaf people.
Carol Padden is a Professor in the Department of Communication at the University of California, San Diego where she teachers courses on language, culture and media. She is a graduate of Georgetown University and received a Ph.D. in Linguistics from the University of California, San Diego. Her recent research includes studies of reading development in young deaf children and she has written extensively about the cultural lives of Deaf people in the United States. She received a John Simon Guggenheim Fellowship, in addition to numerous other awards and grants for her work. In addition to the books she has co-authored with Tom Humphries, she has published several other books and articles on American Sign Language structure. Humphries & Padden (Learning American Sign Language, 2e). SMP 2004 Page 1 of 1
- Item Weight : 1.59 pounds
- Spiral-bound : 357 pages
- ISBN-10 : 9780205275533
- ISBN-13 : 978-0205275533
- Product Dimensions : 0.85 x 8.9 x 11 inches
- Publisher : Pearson Education, Inc.; 2nd Edition (January 1, 2004)
- Language: : English
- ASIN : 0205275532
- Best Sellers Rank: #105,403 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer Reviews: