- Modularize your applications and make them highly reusable and testable
- This book delves into complex concepts such as metaprogramming, concurrency, and immutability in a simplified step-by-step approach
- A highly practical guide to building functional code in C++ filled with lots of examples and real-world use cases
Functional Programming allows developers to divide programs into smaller, reusable components that eases the creation, testing, and maintenance of software as a whole. Combined with the power of C++, you can develop robust and scalable applications that fulfill modern day software requirements. This book will help you discover all C++ features that can be applied to build software in a functional way.
The book is divided into three modules—the first introduces the fundamentals of functional programming and how it is supported by modern C++. The second module explains how to efficiently implement C++ features such as pure functions and immutable states to build robust applications. The last module describes how to achieve concurrency and apply design patterns to enhance your application’s performance. Here, you will also learn to optimize code using metaprogramming in a functional way.
By the end of the book, you will be familiar with the functional approach of programming and will be able to use these techniques on a daily basis.
What you will learn
- Get to know the difference between imperative and functional approaches
- See the use of first-class function and pure functions in a functional style
- Discover various techniques to apply immutable state to avoid side effects
- Design a recursive algorithm effectively
- Create faster programs using lazy evaluation
- Structure code using design patterns to make the design process easier
- Use concurrency techniques to develop responsive software
- Know how to use the C++ Standard Template Library and metaprogramming in a functional way to improve code optimization
About the Author
Wisnu Anggoro is a Microsoft Certified Professional in C# programming and an experienced C/C++ developer. He has also authored two books, Boost.Asio C++ Network Programming, Second Edition and Functional C#, published by Packt. He has been programming since he was in junior high school (about 20 years ago) and started developing computer applications using the BASIC programming language in the MS-DOS environment.
He has a solid experience of smart card programming as well as desktop and web application programming, such as designing, developing, and supporting live use applications for SIM Card Operating System Porting, personalization, PC/SC communication, and other smart card applications that require the use of C# and C/C++. He is currently a senior smart card software engineer at CIPTA, an Indonesian company that specializes in the innovation and technology of smart cards.