Dec 7 - 9
Ships from: Books'r us (We ship worldwide!) Sold by: Books'r us (We ship worldwide!)
Follow the Author
There is a newer edition of this item:
Enhance your purchase
Explore each technology separately, learn how to use them together, and pick up valuable web programming practices along the way. At the end of the book, you'll put everything together to build a fully functional social networking site, using XAMPP or any development stack of your choice.
- Learn PHP in-depth, along with the basics of object-oriented programming
- Explore MySQL, from database structure to complex queries
- Use the mysqli Extension, PHP's improved MySQL interface
- Create dynamic PHP web pages that tailor themselves to the user
- Manage cookies and sessions, and maintain a high level of security
- Use Ajax calls for background browser/server communication
- Acquire CSS2 & CSS3 skills for professionally styling your web pages
- Implement all the new HTML5 features, including geolocation, audio, video, and the canvas
From the Publisher
Assumptions This Book Makes
- "The web programming equivalent of a well-stocked toolbox... it packs a lot of utility into a compact space"
- "I literally devoured it over the course of the rest of the day"
- "The book is very clearly written and easy to understand. I would definitely recommend it for beginners"
- "A must have book for those who begin sailing in the Web development waters"
- "A very in-depth introduction for webmasters"
- "It has everything I needed to get up to speed very quickly"
- "The book did a great job of filling the holes in my knowledge"
- "Launched My Career This book taught me everything I needed to know to land a decent job as a PHP developer - best thirty dollar investment of my life" - Amazon reviewer
From the Author
So I hope you'll find the book even more of a one-stop resource than ever, and that you also find it easy to read and understand (and enjoyable too). And, as always, I welcome any comments or questions you may have via the book's website at lpmj.net, and always do my best to provide assistance if you need it.
- ASIN : 1491918667
- Publisher : O'Reilly Media; 4th edition (December 30, 2014)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 812 pages
- ISBN-10 : 9781491918661
- ISBN-13 : 978-1491918661
- Item Weight : 3.02 pounds
- Dimensions : 7.01 x 1.61 x 9.17 inches
- Best Sellers Rank: #1,169,306 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer Reviews:
About the author
Reviewed in the United States on August 15, 2018
Reviews with images
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
The issue is not whether or not the author knows what he is talking about; it is very detailed and fairly easy to follow along with.
My main complaint is the examples. The examples are very confusing, in my opinion.
There are things I don't like about this book. Personally I find it a bit of a cut and paste job summarizing the syntax of the technologies covered. Honestly this not that useful to me as there a lot of good web resources that provide this. I would have preferred more discussion of the technologies within a broader setting so I could make judgements on web development technologies. Why should I use PHP over Python or Ruby? What are the tradeoffs and advantages / disadvantages? The book also has a least one important omissions as it does not cover PHP frameworks and components. The reality of modern web development is that we have to choose between many frameworks as well as core technologies (e.g. PHP/Symphony vs Python/Django vs Ruby/Rails). So not having anything in the book on PHP frameworks seems like a significant compromise. There are a lot of PHP frameworks out there: Symphony, CodeIgnitor, FuelPHP, Laravel, to name a few. It is a crowded and confusing space.
My take on the book is that it is under weight on judgement/wisdom and over weight on the description, but don't let that put you off buying this book just understand what you a buying and be comfortable that you will need other resources. Buy it and get started. Good luck with whatever you are building.