Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $49.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on January 13, 2012
I am a computer professional, but not a programmer. I took a C++ course in college, 10 years ago, and in the last couple years I have taken up Bash scripting. I figured I could probably do more if I learned a real language, instead of just playing with Bash.

This book did not disappoint. It's been excellent. It takes a very practical approach to educating the reader on the mechanics of Perl, focusing on cumulative knowledge as the chapters move along. The text is reasonably engaging, and the material moves at a good pace - not too fast and not too slow. The exercises at the end of the chapters help reinforce the material, and even includes estimates of how long the programming should take. It clearly articulates differences between Perl versions without droning on incessantly about tiny nuances. It is riddled with footnotes for more advanced users to help them understand more and more exceptions to basic rules, as they are initially taught by the text.

To be clear, this book isn't a book that teaches how to program. If you're looking for something that covers procedural logic, this is not the book for you. However, I would suspect that even someone without a deep computer background, but just a strong willingness to learn, would find this book beneficial.

If you ARE a programmer, you might find it a bit novice, and the pace a little slow - maybe not though, maybe you should just absorb the material faster and fly through the chapters. It's hard for me to say.

It was exactly what I was looking for, and after some more practice, I believe I may be moving on to Intermediate Perl.
22 comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 20, 2012
This book is a fair introduction to the world of Perl and the depths of the dark twisted psyche that is the mind of Larry Wall. (As an aside, I have never before touched a programming language that has been as willfully perverse as Perl, but that is by design and surprisingly works to make the experienced coder's life easier). It is a decent starting point, although it is a bit too verbose at times. In my mind, the biggest flaw of this book is that the code examples lack explicit blocks listing the output for given code snippets and a lack of how variables have actually been defined. There are also cases where the authors decided to be cute instead of clear - the most recent example I stumbled upon was a string labeled as a "Coke\tSprite" producing a Coke, a Tab and a Sprite. While this is good for a snigger, I'm not sure it's worth the extra mental effort required to process it. There are more concise introductions online, but this does not make a bad starting point, especially if you have little prior programming experience. The exercises provided are very helpful to start developing a feeling of progress in learning the language.
on February 22, 2016
This is perfect for Perl newbies, but it does not cover the new features such as OO. You can cover those by reading "Modern Perl" which can be accessed by on-line with no cost.
on October 4, 2012
This book is very good, and by far the best Perl book
1. it has emphasized a lot on perl principle:
2. it compares a lot of different usage and lead you to know how and why
3. it has a lot of information

I have ever bought another perl book "beginning perl by Jame Lees", and read about it. Though the latter is a good book, it has not touched why and how to use perl when there are choices. That has forced me to continue to search for another book.

Actually I find this book by luck. I had attended some perl training program, and it has touched a lot more in-depth about perl. Then I found this book is one of the two major reference book.

The only drawback is that the book can be more compact by cutting those verbose sentences. So, I am skipping a lot of readings by jumping from examples to examples to understand concepts, why and how to use perl.
on September 17, 2013
I buy so many electronics from Amazon I feel like I need to review the book for its construction. Like "Excellent binding, pages were not torn."
As for actual content it is complete, has several advances topics and is worded nicely. It doesn't measure up to some of the other O'Reilly books in some spots. Most notably it doesn't hilight how to install Perl (I normally have the stuff installed beforehand, I just noticed it wasn't there this time around).
I'd recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn Perl, its clear, and it uses a realatively recent version of Perl as compared with its competitors and has some fallow-up books by the same publisher, should you want to further your learning.
on March 22, 2007
I purchased this book hoping to gain insight into Perl after having experience with C, C++ and Java. I came back with not only a wonderful, base knowledge of the principals of Perl, but came out with some other skills as well.

This books provides a wonderful, quick, easy read for beginners and pros alike. The knowledge of the language coupled with the coverage of core concepts, methodology, practices and practical programmatic thinking was a delight to read/review.
on May 22, 2014
I didn't know Perl before reading this book. I still don't really know Perl. However, I did enjoy this book. It was filled with many complicated words and symbols. I suppose I Should have practiced more. Each chapter offers example problems to work through. I would highly recommend doing the examples. Otherwise, you end up like me... finishing the book without a clue how to program in Perl.
on April 30, 2015
Amazing book on Perl. I first read Programming Perl over a decade ago, and hadn't really touch Perl much since.

This book is an amazingly quick read for someone with existing programming experience. That's not to say it's not comprehensive or small. It's both comprehensive and full-sized. You will be able to do 90%+ of most programming tasks with just this book (and a little research of your own, in the places the book directs you to).

I am looking forward to the next 2 books in series!
on August 30, 2017
good read
on February 21, 2017
Love these animal books. Yet again another good one. Helped me to learn enough perl. Won't get you up to speed in a weekend but will actually teach you perl as long as you do the assignments. Remember you don't learn if you don't get in the keyboard time.