Workplace Solutions Best Kids' Books of the Year Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Stocking Stuffers hggv216 Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Shop Outdoor Deals on Amazon

Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 789 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on June 5, 2013
I recommend this toy for any child who likes to build things. She makes all kind of things out of them and is learning as well.
review image
on April 4, 2015
review image
TOP 500 REVIEWERon April 22, 2016
My parents bought this as a gift for our autistic sons for his 4th birthday. They knew he loves things that turn and spin and he really got into this on his birthday! Admittedly he hasn't played with it as much since, partially because it's hard for him to put the green foundation pieces together by himself (it's even a little hard for me to snap them into place), but it is pretty neat once you get going. I wish it could hold his attention longer for 10 minutes, but the toy itself is well made, comes well packaged and is cool! I would imagine this would be fun for a wide variety of ages. He might enjoy it more down the road. Note: All of the rotation is done manually. There are no batteries or power sources involved.
I did NOT receive this item free or at a discount
review image review image
on August 2, 2014
My son and I had been over at a friend's house and they had a set of these. The two boys had set to making all sorts of things rather quickly and I was amazed. The set was really cool and seemed to bring out a lot of their creativity and imagination. I thought it was neat especially the way that it helped them think and decide how to build things and what they could do to get all the gears to work together. Together we all built cars and neat things that had moving parts.

So when we got home I ordered a set for my son because of how much fun we had with it.

When it came we did the same thing. We opened the box and began going through all the things that we could make. But, I found one problem. I wish there was more! The set I feel falls a little short. It only has one crank handle. There should be more. Because if we both make two things one person has to crank things by hand while the other gets the handle. I don't mind this for myself, I'll use my hand. But, the thing is.. it limits what you can do. I also wish there were more connector pieces. The pieces that go between the gears. Because it would be nice to build bigger things. You almost need to order a couple sets at once.

However, with the one set that we have, we have created some fun stuff. Getting around the lack of extra handles and lack of connector pieces. We have had a great deal of fun with these. I love watching my son build cars and trucks with wheels and other moving parts. He has a lot of fun with them and I think they are great busy toys especially for boys with those building minds. My son is always building things, and this was perfect for him.
on June 26, 2007
My 4 year old son is really into building and seeing how things work so I thought this starter set would be a great toy, but it fell a bit short for us. My son found it a bit difficult to secure some of the additional pieces to the gears. Every 2 seconds I'd hear "mommy I can't do this please help me!" Perhaps getting a bigger set with more options would've been a better idea.
on November 3, 2016
I've purchased a couple sets as gifts. EVERYONE loves them. My only 'mistake' was buying one set "Frustration Free Packaging". This means a plain boring box. No pictures on the outside. Fine if you are not giving as a gift. IF you want a box with pictures on the outside, choose standard packaging.
on November 30, 2015
These are ok... I should have known just by looking at it.... there's really not much flexibility with the setup, meaning there's only a couple possible configurations. All flat or using the risers and bridging across. The kids tried both within their first 30 minutes of play. Then they lost interest. It hasn't been touched since then.
on November 1, 2015
Hi everyone, as a parent we are always looking to buy toys and sometimes toys that are not meant just for playing but those that would also help your child learn a new skill.

I bought these gears activity with the same thougt.

The box and pack is pretty adequate. It mainly consists of 4 parts , a gear, a small connector , a large connector and connectors that let you connect the gears on the sides or vertical of the building tower you make. It also comes with 1 small handle which will help you rotate the gears.

The whole concept is your kid connects these gears to work on tandem such that when they rotate that 1 mother gear to which you connect the handle knob all the gears connected to each other mover as well.

My kid who is almost 3 years old loved the concept, he was quick to understand the concept and was already joining all the gears towers ans connectors within minutes. He loves to see all the gears move together after he has fixed a number of them.

Pros: fun activity a big change from building blocks, it helps kids understand the concept of cause and action.
I have a 9 month old and i feel safe around these as the pieces are not literally small for her to swallow or get stuck, ofcouse she is being watched around this but she is fine.good quality looks good.

Cons: once the kid gets a hang of the concept there is nothing much he can do, i mean its not like he can get innovative and create something, the whole concept revolves around joining the gears and rotating them. Once my kid did it a couple of times he was kind of bored and was like all it does is spins. Also there are a ton of gears, like with any other toy because it has so many pieces it makes a mess and clean up takes time.

All in all a good product , nothing extraordinary but good to have change, im sure your kid will love it.

Regards,
Nick Hill
A bad review is like baking the perfect cake with all the best ingredients and having someone sit on it!
on February 8, 2008
Gears! Beginning building set was a huge disappointment. This is actually the first product I have felt strongly enough about to review. I bought it for my three-year-old who loves to build and construct. The pieces that connect the gears are so poorly designed that it is virtually impossible to build anything. They don't fit together well and they certainly don't balance. The constructions shown on the box must have been made by a team of adults holding the pieces in place while someone else super-glued them. Extremely shoddy design and misleading photos. With some of our more complex building sets we model to our son the concept of "try and try again" but with this toy we had to introduce the concept of somebody making a very bad toy. My toddler kept telling me to try and the things kept falling apart. My son lost interest in under ten minutes and has never asked for it again. We had unfortunately ripped the box open so I couldn't return it. I actually threw it away which I have never done with a toy. I just would not feel right donating this and there are many small parts which pose a choking hazard (it does say this on the box). We put it in the recycling bin in the hope that someone can get some use out of it!
33 comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 17, 2016
It's really not that fun to play with this however my 20 month old son always says "wow" when the box comes out. The problem is it doesn't do much and it's difficult to maneuver with the gears and get them all to turn in sync. It isn't a smooth easy device and in the end, it's just turning wheels. Whoop Dee Do. I bought it for $25 as it was from an affiliate website claiming it was educational and amazingly fun. Nah, it's just a bunch of plastic gears marketed in am overwhelmingly seductive way.

I FELL FOR IT! I still would buy for $10-$15 but never again for $25.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.