Industrial Deals HPC Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

on October 24, 2016
Great conditioner, but be aware it may darken your lighter leathers substantially. If you're OK with a potentially drastic color change, go for it. Here's what it did to a $600 pair of boots...
review image
88 comments| 578 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 17, 2016
Twenty five years ago we bought a fine Italian leather sofa, chair and ottoman from a well-known furniture warehouse. We took advantage of their kind offer for a lifetime supply of leather care kits. Twice each year we would stop by to pick up refills, and would clean and then reapply the conditioner provided. However, we have loved our dogs more than the leather. After just installing new hardwood flooring, we noticed how scratched, scuffed and cracked the leather had become despite this care. We considered sending in a sample of the "mushroom color" dyed leather to get a custom kit to re-dye and condition; but the price would have exceeded $150 for the DIY kit. So we thought we'd try a premium leather conditioner first. While it looked like a 16 oz bottle would be enough, with Amazon Prime, the 32 oz bottle seemed a better deal; given that any leftover would be available for other leather goods and future care of the furniture.
Early this morning, I separated all the cushions to treat them. After some experimentation, I found a 6in x 6in scrap cut from an old polyester "polar fleece" hoodie was a perfect applicator. Because the bottle indicated this is a natural product, and it was totally free of any odor that might indicate presence of solvents, I used my bare hands and the applicator cloth to massage in a generous coating then placed the cushions aside to allow the conditioner to be absorbed. By the time I'd finished the four seats and four backs (perhaps 40 minutes) the first had dried....and the scuffs and scratches had reappeared. Undeterred, I applied a second generous coating to each cushion and laid them aside before treating the lower facings, arms, sides, and backs of each piece. By then >8oz. was gone from the bottle. However, as a bonus to my project, I'd just bought a 3 pack of cowhide work gloves that needed to be "broken in" and oiled to make them flexible and form-fitting enough to wear while doing carpentry. So, each time I took a break, I put my oily hands inside one pair, liberally applying leather honey to all surfaces of the thumb and forefinger, and wore them each in turn.
After three coats had been applied to all leather surfaces of the furniture, the vast majority of the leather was as shiny and supple as new. But after absorption, the scuffs and scratches provided by the dogs, located on the top surfaces and outer edges of the cushions and the arms were reappearing - much less obvious but still leaving room for doubt. Determined, I reassembled the furniture but continued to apply coat after coat; concentrating only on the areas of cracks, scuffs and scratches. Fifteen or so minutes after each application, the conditioner had soaked in, leaving the marring subtly less obvious. The surrounding leather stopped absorbing any further conditioner, and did not darken, so I continued spot applications - following along each crease or scratch with a generous layering. Finally, after intermittently applying more than 10 coats over the next 8 hours, the cracks and scratches themselves began to blend into the surrounding leather. I never did find it necessary to buff the coating with the large piece of polar fleece I had set aside. The conditioner has now been totally absorbed, leaving behind a nice matte finish. It's taken 16 oz for the sofa and chair, but the furniture looks like well-aged leather furniture; the color is uniform across all surfaces, and what were obvious scratch marks and scuffs now blend in with the overall patina that only fine leather furniture is able to acquire over time. I still have to bring the ottoman back up from the basement to treat - that and hear the kids argue over who's going to inherit these pieces. From now on, it will be Leather Honey Conditioner that is reapplied every six months to maintain this patina. And just maybe the dogs can learn to stand beside the furniture to get their ears scratched. Read my other reviews and you'll find I don't give kudos to products that don't perform as promised. This one's a winner, if you're patient and don't mind investing the proper amount of time and elbow grease. Peace/Out.
0Comment| 268 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 14, 2011
I like leather products, and I like to take care of my stuff, so the right leather care product is critical. I've used a great many over the years and have settled on two as being clearly superior: Leather Honey and Bick 4 (Bick 4 Leather Conditioner, 16 oz). They are quite different from each other.

Leather Honey: Leather Honey has a unique effect, making leather somehow feel denser and more hydrated. It is hard to explain, but it is very different than the effect of more lotion-like products, and I've tried a lot of them.

Here's my experience on different things: On my favorite ten-year-old leather jacket from North Beach Leather, Leather Honey soaked in quickly in certain spots, and I added some more. After two hours, there was nothing to wipe away. The already heavy jacket feels heavier, better, and the results have proven to hold up and add more rain resistance. On a new black leather jacket, it didn't take as much nor was the effect as dramatic, but it gave the leather a more supple feel. On my five-year-old black Tumi briefcase, it was quite inconsistent in how much soaked in right away and how much stayed on the surface. I gave it the full two hours and it all soaked in, and it now uniformly feels great. A pair of black Ferragamo's that I bought years ago were getting quite abraded at the toe. No amount of polish worked, but Leather Honey has done a pretty good job of getting that area to look like the rest. I haven't yet put polish over the Leather Honey, so that is an experiment I'm curious about. Brown Sebago deck shoes certainly got more supple and soaked in a lot. The color darkened.

That brings me to the three small caveats: 1) Leather Honey is not a cleaner. Since it isn't water-based like lotion products, dirt stays. For example, on the Sebagos, an area that was a bit dirty was just the same, but the leather under it was clearly treated. 2) Leather Honey doesn't evaporate on plastics and rubbers, nor does it wipe off that easily. A day after treating the Sebagos, the soles still had Leather Honey on them, now somewhat sticky. Obviously I should have done a better job of wiping. 3) Leather honey can and will darken some light leathers.

Bick 4: I'm pretty sure this stuff is what North Beach Leather used to sell under their own name. It is a lanolin/oil lotion that really works. I use it bare handed, and my skin feels soft and good afterwards. It doesn't darken leather, and it cleans as it works if I wipe it up before it is all soaked in. I've used it on my wife's old Chanel purse, an Armani jacket, and some Coach gloves. In every case, it did exactly what I wanted, making the leather softer, more suppler, and feel great. It is easy to wipe Bick 4 off of areas it is unwanted, like plastic or metal.

Which one should you use?

I use Leather Honey for thick leathers that I want to feel more like high quality leather. Think cow hide over lamb skin. I make sure the leather is clean, and use Leather Honey if water resistance is important. I use it if the leather is really bad, because it does more than the Bick 4. I use it when some darkening wouldn't be a problem. Leather Honey makes all leather more, er, leathery, and I mean that in a good way.

I use Bick 4 for thinner leathers, or ones for which darkening would be a problem, or if I'm trying to clean and condition in one step. If the words that comes to mind with the leather you're treating is "soft," "buttery" or "thin" use Bick 4. Its effect won't last as long as Leather Honey's, but it works, and it works beautifully, doing just what you want a leather conditioner to do.

Addendum: Some reviewers have noted that Leather Honey didn't soak in to whatever they were treating, leaving it sticky. Certain leathers, mainly car upholstery and couches, are surface treated with a urethane topcoat. It doesn't make it feel like plastic, so you can't easily tell by rubbing it. Try putting a drop of water in an unobtrusive spot. If the water doesn't soak in and "wet" the leather within a minute, don't use Leather Honey! Bick 4 will work, though you will be wiping most of it away. What I use is 303 Aerospace Protectant for leathers that are coated to the point that they don't absorb water. Note, however, that 303 makes the leather more slick. Not badly so, but try it first. (303 is great stuff anyway for anything plastic or rubber or teak, but that's another review ...)
5150+ comments| 2,114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 20, 2017
This is good stuff! It was recommended by the manufacturer in N. Carolina. I have a 2 yo leather couch. Thick saddle leather. Not your bargain box store couch. This juice goes on like maple syrup. It says to us a cloth. I found it much easier to massage it into every nook with my fingers. I warmed it up a bit in the hot tap water. It flowed easier but it was still like syrup. It looked funny, at first. Then after 30 minutes the leather soaked up the honey and it looked great. Best of all, absolutely no smell!!!! By 3 hours later it was ready for more. I'll wait a month or six before I reapply. Because.... that's all you need. This is good stuff!!! And, an American company family owned to boot. I even got s very nicely written email from the CEO. Let's make America great by using products like this. Dem or Rep this is the good stuff. Tim C Augusta, GA.
review image
11 comment| 117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 4, 2013
I conditioned about 15 pairs of leather shoes, slippers, flip flops and boots. A little goes a long way... I prefer to work it in with my fingers and a tooth brush for in and around difficult areas. Later you can wipe and buff out (with a terry cloth rag) what little is left. There was a problem and the Leather Honey company took care of it immediately! Wonderful customer service.
Now for the WOW factor... I found a pair of boots in the basement with an 1/8" or more of mold on them... on my way to the trash I remembered Leather Honey... That gooey leather product saved my boots... I paid around $200 for them, wore them a couple of times and forgot about them in the basement. See before and after photos...
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
1010 comments| 515 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 2, 2016
I bought this for my car after seeing all the 5 star reviews. I've tried other leather conditioners before and was sorely disappointed as most left a tacky residue . Leather honey is no different. It's a clear viscous liquid from the bottle(almost like dishwashing liquid, thicker than olive oil), which makes it difficult to apply sparingly. Fortunately I did only the drivers seat and not all the leather surfaces. It definitely leaves a tackiness to the leather, I could feel it especially as I pivot in and out of the seat. Wiping with a clean cloth does very little. I ended up scrubbing out the remaining residue.

I didn't give up on Leather Honey. Maybe it was just the car right?
So anyway I decided to give it a try LH on some newly tooled coasters I just made. I also tried other leather protectants and finishes, while I was doing this. The Leather Honey SIGNIFICANTLY darkened the LEFT most coaster. Raw vegetable tanned leather is all the way to the right for a color comparison -? I put it on using a sponge as sparingly as I could, wit occasional use of a fine round brush to fill in missed areas. I was tempted to simply mash the sponge into those areas as veggie tanned leather is quite thirsty. I let it sit for overnight and blotted out the rest with a paper towel in the morning. After two weeks the LH coaster still felt quite oily to the touch, but it was soft. So soft I could roll that coaster into a taquito. I blotted out as much as I could while rolled. I tested out the finishes I had applied by placing ice water in a glass and the LH one did not appear to absorb water, but I noticed that it left smear on the surface it was sitting and as the condensation dripped to the base.. I decided to give the LH a scrubbing, maybe there was still excess. I used a tooth brush, dishwashing liquid and some water, my hands ended up coated with a greasy gunk. The leather honey had begun to weep out of the coaster and all over my hands. This was what was leaving the smear on the table. Definitely not gonna use this for water protecting leather, this could end up damaging a nice hardwood table or staining an expensive shirt!!!
review image
11 comment| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 15, 2016
As-advertised; used for application of saddle soap, leather dye, and leather conditioner on project to repair/restore my three living room couches. Works like charm. Areas of my couches had faded and had some scuffed surfaces - couches about 11 years old, but still very comfortable. I used these products, along with a 220 grit (extra-fine) flexible sanding (sponge) block, and 0000 steel wool (super fine), to sand-off the rough, scuffed, surfaces. I saddle-soaped the couches thoroughly, wiped-off the residue, then dyed. Once die aborbed (about 1 hour for both of these steps), I then applied conditioner over all areas of the couch, and let it soak-in overnight. The following evening, I used the sanding blocks and steel wool on the rough/scuffed surfaces - removing some of the dye I had applied. I saddle soaped again, to remove the leather & dye particles, wiped residue off, dyed again, and reapplied conditioner. Did the the same the following night...now? Like new. In retrospect, I should have saddle soaped and conditioned the couches annually, and I would never had to do all of this, but fortunately, able to refinish myself!
review imagereview imagereview image
on April 4, 2017
I did a lot of research to find a non-chemical leather conditioner for my couch. I wrote to a couple of companies asking, if their product contains any coconut oil or any nut oil. I got a response from Leather Honey the next day! No, they do not use any of those ingredients. (No other company responded at all.) The girl who replied was very friendly and responsive. I found out that this is a family business and her grandfather created the product. So I'm sure you can ask if the product contains an ingredient you want to avoid.

I've used it on my leather couches, and it works AMAZINGLY well!! I am SOOOO pleased! I'm super sensitive to chemicals and oils, and I've taken naps on my couch already with zero reactions.

I applied it to a full-sized leather sofa as well as a large leather chair with ottoman. I only needed to use a little bit, and they were shiny and smooth and looked brand new! It only took up maybe 1/6th of the bottle (16 oz). Of course, I cleaned my couches first--you don't want to put a conditioner on dirt or sticky grime (as some people who asked questions did). Clean your leather first, then use a little bit of this with a lint-free cloth, and it will turn out beautifully. My couches were dry and silky smooth in about five minutes. Amazing conditioner! I HIGHLY recommend Leather Honey!!
on December 6, 2016
This worked wonders on my briefcase, so I decided to treat my leather couch with it. BIG mistake. It absorbed so unevenly that it ruined my couch. The areas that people touch when they sit (back, arms) absorbed copious amounts and turned almost black. The surfaces that people don't touch (sides) absorbed almost none and didn't change color at all. Now I have an ugly, expensive two-tone couch. There's no way to test this beforehand because any inconspicuous test spot will by definition be a part of the couch that receives little wear, so you can't see if it will absorb differentially. Be VERY careful if you decide to put this on a leather couch.
review imagereview imagereview image
77 comments| 179 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 24, 2017
I bought a new pair of expensive leather sandals from a high-dollar men's store to take on vacation. After a couple hours I had to remove them because they literally cut my feet since the leather was so stiff and dry. I thought I must have had the straps too tight so next vacation I tried them again only to have my feet cut once more. (Had to wear socks with them. That is a great look on the beach!) I was about to throw the like-new sandals away when I found this stuff. I applied several liberal coats. Wow! The results are amazing! The sandals are now so soft they feel great. In fact, I don't even know I have them on and they are now my favorite pair. This stuff is great! Saved me from throwing away a $150 pair of like-new sandals. It may look pricey but a little goes a long way.