Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by Tim and Faith PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 4, 2017
Last month, I ordered the Leatherman's 2009 "Blast" multi-tool with the idea of dissecting it to add a couple of tools (scissors and eyewear mini driver) to my 2016 "Rebar". The up-grade, I thought, would assist my EDC MT at work and at play. Amazon kindly made it a "priority delivery" which I appreciate. Upon receival, I was happy to discover the extreme versatility of the "Blast". It's handy and with the smooth plastic in lay making the stainless steel beast comfortable to hold. It’s sturdy and respectable. Indeed, its sharp knife blade cut my thumb as I opened it the first time! That got my attention and my respect; nope, I'm not dissecting it!

Remember the Alamo!
review image
on October 31, 2015
I have used a Swiss Army knofe for decades and was ready to graduate to a Multitool. I was so pumped to be getting a Leatherman multitool because of the versatility and quality of the product. Sadly, I don't feel this tool lives up to the hype.

I like the quality tool overall and the case. I am not crazy about the performance of the individual tools themselves. The pliers are probably the best part. They are a good size and tend to grip well. Most of the blades are sharp but very thick. The screw driver tools are very hard to use. Most tools are challenging to deploy and stow.

I compare this with my son's Gerber. The Gerber tool is as high quality but is so much easier to use. I find it so much more useful and regularly ask to borrow my son's Gerber than using my own Leatherman.
on June 9, 2011
This multi tool is almost perfect in every way. Instead of telling you how great everything is I will only tell you the weak points to save time.

I wish the pliers were spring loaded not a huge deal but would have been nice.

The bit kit cannot be used with this tool. In addition to the eyeglass drivers you get a couple flat head drivers and 1 phillips head driver (I believe it's a #2) but nothing to accept the bits.

None of the tools are accessible from the outside, you must open the pliers to get at the tools which all lock open, a great feature.

The nylon sheath is decent but it doesn't have a clip you have to weave your belt through it to put it on and take your belt off to remove it. I doubt it will stand up to the test of time as I can already see wear on the strap due to my leather belt rubbing it everytime I put it on and take it off.

I do realize that the features it's missing would add cost to the product and at half the price of the tools containing those features I can't really complain too much. The price is why I gave it 5 stars even though it has some draw backs. Good job Leatherman at getting this tool on the market at such a reasonable price.
4 helpful votes
on April 7, 2016
Absolutely love this, its become like a third arm. I honestly feel naked if I leave home without this. The blade is the finest I have ever found on a multitool. I've been using this every day for the past 2 years as a technician and it has never let me down. For the price, or any price really, its simply unbelievable and an outstanding value. If you're in any way handy or in need of a multitool buy this and you won't be disappointed. The nylon case lasted about 2 years before I was forced to replace it for a leather case which I would have expected.
on December 30, 2016
My favorite leatherman tool, now unfortunately retired. The newer tools place the blades on the outside, so it is easier to get the knife out, but for me these blades become a pinch point when you use the newer tools as pliers. My blast broke and leatheman replaced it under warranty with a newer tool, but that was a disappointment. I switched to the Gerber, and then came across a Blast used. So it is back to the Blast with the Gerber as a back up.
on August 13, 2011
I purchased the Leatherman Blast from Amazon, seller AG Industrial. The tool arrived quickly, packaged correctly and in perfect working order. The Blast is the perfect tool for everyday general medium tasks. It is equipped with all the right accessories for every day tasks. Good pliers, saw, file, screwdrivers, jewelry screwdriver, scissors and a knife. I think the knife, as well as the scissors, could be just a tad larger. However, they are adequate and keep the weight of the tool low. At 6.9 ounces, this tool is light enough to carry in the pocket. It would be nice if it had a pocket clip included in the tool instead of the lanyard eye. The pocket clip is sold separately (Heard some complaints about the fit). The tool,once broken in, works very well. It operates smoothly. To access the knife, or other tools, it has to be opened. Not too bad. When the tool is semi closed it provides a pistol grip handle that is very ergonomic and comfortable.
I own a SOG S66 tool, SOG S61, Leatherman surge, wave and charge. The Blast is the lightest of the bunch. It accommodates as many accessories, more in some instances, than the previously mentioned tools, at a lighter weight and a lower price. I would strongly recommend it as an everyday carry mutitool.
on January 17, 2013
I gave it one less than full because I have big clumsy fingers and sometimes selecting some of the blades can be a little difficult. I honestly have to say I can't compare it to another brand so the blade access thing might be common among them all. Also if you are not a belt person, get one with a sheath that has a clip so you can clasp it on the top of your pants.
As for the tool, it works just fine and has fixed many items that I would have had to pay someone else to do (Watch bands, small electronic battery replacement as well as the big jobs). It's favorite job is opening a beer for me just before the game.
I find that the internal blades as opposed to those with exposed doesn't make a difference to me and this model has more than enough items for the home handy man. I can't speak for all the trades but I'm sure it handles most of anyones needs for the type of tool it is supposed to be.
on January 5, 2013
I bought the Blast over the Supertool 300 or the Wave because it was smaller, lighter, and had the Zytel grips.

Stamped Steel can be rough on the hands, and the grips remove that complication.

The only tool missing from the blast that I would have liked is the package opener, but that isn't present on the wave or Supertool 300 either.

I especially like the eyeglass bit, as it can be flipped from Flathead to Philips without requiring extra bits.

One of the features of the wave are outside one handed accessible blades, but I like the clamshell design of the blast, as it keeps all the tools contained and secure.

Now I just have to remember not to wear it to the airport!

The Nylon pouch for your belt is unobtrusive, but the Velcro snap can not be folded over the back, so you have to open and close it whenever you want to use the tool.
on May 5, 2012
I researched for a good multi tool that would support me when I am at locations requiring me to service PC's (laptops, servers, desktops) and found the Blast! I ordered it feeling if it didn't perform the way I would like, I could probably use it in other tasks. WOW! It has met and exceeded all of my expectations. I received the Blast with a nylon holder (which I would recommend for anyone). I have only had this for about a month but have extensively used it for all kinds of things. I even opened a Smithfield Ham bag today with the pliers (the ham had a metal staple wrapped around the bag)...Whenever I need a tool, I am confident the Blast has it. I now can't imagine going anywhere without this amazing tool. If you don't have a multi tool and are looking for your first one, look no further!
on September 27, 2012
I have had a Leatherman Blast for almost 10 years until I lost mine. It was my favorite tool and it was the only tool I kept on hand to handle various tasks. However, since I lost my first one, I bought another Blast. Not only does the Blast have some of the most tools that Leatherman offers, but it also has a good looking design. The only thing I don't like about my new one is that it seems as though it is cheaper; the metal seems thinner and some of the design has changed to, "cut corners". Nevertheless, it is still a great tool. I still hope to find my old Leathermen, however.