Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Leave the Light on
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Ingrid Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Audio CD|Change

on October 22, 2003
There aren't enough words to describe how amazing this album is and how amazing this woman is. "Immortal" was great. "Screamin' for My Supper" was better. I've waited four years for this album and it was well worth the wait. It doesn't get any better than this folks! This is SOUL! This is POWER! This is MUSIC! If I had to complain it would only be that it ends too soon. This woman has so many amazing B sides ("Hiding Under Water," "Jackie's Song," "As Good As It Gets," "Laugh As Loud As You Cry") that this album should never end! GET IT! BUY IT! SUGGEST IT TO FRIENDS! They WILL love it!
on October 24, 2003
Beth Hart is a breath of fresh air in the music industry today. We have the "pop" icons that claim their fame on picture perfect bodies and hair and, oh yeah, they can dance...but what about the "voice" when did the industry stop caring about vocal talent? If you ask me... far too long ago. Beth Hart's new album "Leave The Light On" which was released on October 21, 2003 on Koch Records is sensational! When I finished listening to Beth Hart new album I just sat back and thought, "Wow".."What a powerful and emotional voice", I had chills running down my spine. Beth's voice draws you in and speaks to you on a personal level there is no emotion left unfelt. I don't know many singers that leave you feeling so many "feelings".
The title track, "Leave The Light On" tells a story, of a woman who has been abused, turns the abuse inward and the struggles to overcome being a victim. Beth's voice is sensitive and delivers the song with passion. Track 7 "Lifetime" is an anthem to those whose life has been hard, to encourage a positive change, "It's no way to live a lifetime" "no way to live at all". I am sure some of us can relate to the message in this song. The 10th track "Sky Full Of Clover" has a gospel/blues tone to it and in my opinion the most powerful song on the album.
The rest of the album showcases the vocal talent of Beth Hart's "voice" finally a singer with a "voice"! Beth's vocal style is reminiscent of Janis Joplin mixed with Patsy Cline's chilling and haunting voice...what a mixture! Beth Hart will surely stir your emotions as you "feel" her emotions in each track on the album. Do I have a favorite? Yes...all of them, each one has it's own unique flavor. Don't take my word for it, buy the album and form your own opinion.
Connecticut's own David Wolff is the manger of Beth Hart, the woman with "the voice" I say: Dear Mr. Wolff Bring Beth Hart to Connecticut so that we may be mesmerized by Beth's "voice" live!
on October 23, 2004
In the vast wasteland what is now known as the TOP 40, where is this VOICE? Beth Hart is one of the most understated voices in a lost genre.

Every track of this brilliant album reflects Hart's dedication to treat each song as a piece of artwork. This album is Hart's most consistent to date. The title track "Leave the Light On" has shades of "The L.A. Song" from Hart's last effort "Screamin' For My Supper." The rest of this album stands on it's own.

"Lift's You Up", "Bottle of Jesus", "World Without You" are great, edgy numbers displaying Hart's vocal prowess. This album produces some awesome power ballads. Besides the title track, "I'll Stay With You" is a song that will hang in your head and heart after listening proving Hart can take it down a notch and never lose that touch of soul that graces each song of this AMAZING CD.

Well worth a listen, if Hart does not touch you with one song from this album, I would question if the listener has a soul.
on October 21, 2003
I just bought the new Beth Hart cd, Leave a Light On, today and have enjoyed every song on here. Ms. Hart is best known for her song "Out of LA" which was on an episode of Beverly Hills 90210 a few years ago. Anyone who is familiar with her work will defintitely enjoy this new disc. The songs on here are soulful and very powerful, both lyrically and instrumentally. Ms. Hart has obvioulsy delt with some heartache over the past few years and it is reflected on some of the songs on this album. For those who are not familiar with her work, Ms. Hart sounds like a modern day Janis Joplin with vocal cords to prove it. Her music can be considered rock, and some songs rock hard, and some of the songs can be considered more bluesy in nature. I would recommend this disc to all old and new fans. You will not be disappointed. I was quite eager to purchase this cd and am glad I did. Hopefully we will hear more from this artist as she gains popularity, so people, spread the word and keep on keepin' on!
on August 12, 2004
Beth Hart deserves much wider recognition, but not if it would change her offbeat, gritty appeal one bit. Leave the Light On is my favorite of her albums to date. Her Janis Joplin-esque vocals are perfectly showcased on this too-short album. She manages to travel from moving ballads ("Leave the Light On", "Lifetime") to Southern Rock ("Bottle of Jesus", "Broken & Ugly") and even to tracks influenced by Gospel ("Sky Full of Clover") and doo-wop ("If God Only Knew") while maintaining a coherent and listener-friendly album. It may lack a jaw-dropping masterpiece like "Mama" (from Screamin' for my Supper), but Leave the Light On makes up for it in across-the-board humor, spunk, and awesome vocals. Perhaps the album is encapsulated best by Beth's final words of thanks in the album jacket: "P.S. Thanks to all our neighbors for not calling the cops when I play and scream".
on June 16, 2005
A few months ago, I'd never heard of Beth Hart. One afternoon I was watching a video by some band or vocalist ... once the video had ended, I minimized the screen and concentrated on something else. A song called "Monkey Back" began to play and it caught my attention. I quickly restored the screen and watched with eyes wide open to what is now categorized (in my book) as a mesmerizing performance by Beth Hart. I was, to say the least, bitten. She is someone who should be heard by all and it surprises me that she isn't as popular as she should be. I realize she has had her knocks and ups & downs but the talent she has cannot be denied. Give this and other songs of hers a listen, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
on March 2, 2004
Maybe she's just happy to still be alive, because this painful angel is alert and putting her life affairs in order! If challenged to write only one song that was a true reflection of self, I don't think many of today's musical "artists" would get past one verse. Beth's title track "Leave The Light On" is a culmination of a life that, for a while, didn't seem like it even wanted to exist ("I cut myself to feel alive"). But in the end she leaves the light on and, for that, I'm so glad.
Sometimes it's hard to believe that such voices can even exist; her's is gritty, uncut, raw, melodic, powerful, even frightening with a most unusual vibrato. One minute she's soulfully naked and exposed ("Lifetime"), then she's solid as a rock and the one to lean on ("I'll Stay With You"). Beth's got a certain "something" that makes her one of those musicians that you want to "hear" and not just listen to. Most of us will never know the depth from where her voice comes from, and that's probably a good thing. Be prepared to feed on the warmth of the music, and then to get chills from her vocal power. From the opening track "Lifts You Up", you're given her view that life is; good, bad or indifferent, it simply is. That lesson comes with an island conga beat behind it, so be happy. One of my favorite tracks is "World Without You"; she get's down, she gets dark, then she and the music light you up (caught myself jamming and doing a head-bob). She strikes a Celine Dion-like note at the end when she sings, "I don't wanna be alone". You go girl!
If you had to catagorize the music Beth makes, it's an intense blending of rock, folk, jazzy blues and gospel (her God is heard and felt throughout); no pop here, she's better than that. She's got stories to tell and hard lessons learned ("Broken and Ugly"), but she's still woman enough to ask for what she needs ("Lay Your Hands On Me"). Gotta love how she rocks out at her piano on "Monkey Back" and the earthy organ that accompanies her on the self-written and humble (but still raucous) "Sky Full Of Clover". Somebody say Amen!
Every vocal you hear on this CD is Beth's (dig the doo-wopiness on "If God Only Knew"). Put this CD in your car and push play. Over and over again.
on December 24, 2015
Awesome album. Beth Hart can really rock!

I've always had a soft spot for singer-songwriters who aren't afraid to bare their souls. Like her, I had a rough start in life and struggled to deal with it all. I definitely identify with the pain she sings about in "Leave the light on." But, like her, I've made it through the darkness and now can see the light.

I'm only sorry I've discovered her music so late in my life - I could have enjoyed her music and honesty for so many more years! I've now bought all of her albums, and you can't go wrong with any of her albums. "Leave the light on" is definitely my favorite from this album, but "Bottle of Jesus" and "Broken and Ugly" are just as great. There definitely isn't any weak songs in this album. If you like the Blues genre, then this artist should definitely be part of your collection. She rocks, and she's not afraid to be honest.
on June 25, 2004
In a world of Britney and Jessica look alikes, this woman truly stands out in a crowd. It's a crime that this CD is not more
recognized than it is. Beth Hart is oozing with talent and it should not go unnoticed when there is so much crap on the radio these days.
I would not have found this CD if it were not for a ad for a CBS soap opera. "World without you" was the background music and I was so taken away, that I had to find the CD. I remembered "LA Song", but it wasn't a favorite. However, everything on "Leave the Light on" has become a huge favorite.
She has an amazing range, an amazing voice, and an amazing songwriter.
DO NOT PASS THIS UP. BUY 2! You will not be disappointed.
on July 18, 2004
I have been a fan of Beth Hart since "LA Song" on her Screamin for My Supper cd. All of the songs on this cd are edgy and deep. That is what makes Beth Hart an artist to listen for! "Leave the Light On" proves Beth has grown as an artist. All of her songs seem to revel more about her life and show that she is very talented. One of my favorites is "World Without You" and "Jesus in a Bottle". I thought these 2 songs would be soft and contempary like "LA Song" but they prove to be much more! Beth Hart has done it again with this great cd! It is definately a great buy!