Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 30 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 58 reviews
on May 1, 2017
I love reading this book, and it's one of the very few books I keep and re-read because it's so dang enjoyable. I am from the Midwest and relate 100% to the things Keillor writes about. Characters in this book are people I grew up with - the fat aunt who "did't want to say anything" to make anyone mad but would fume in obvious silence - the old man with the Pioneer Seed Corn cap. The '66 Chevy that has just a few thousand mile on her. Sweet corn - garden grown tomatoes - butchering your own chicken - Lutheran pastors - the taverns, the weather, the kids in town. I read this book aloud (sometimes edited on the fly by me) to my kids when we went camping. One daughter wants the book for her own now and I must order the kindle edition for myself. I really love this book. I don't think it's for everyone but it is definitely for me because I know these people.
on March 7, 2017
The Original "Lake Wobegon Days" is terrific but I think this book, "Leaving Home" is my all time favorite. I've read it so many times I know parts of it by heart. God Bless you, Garrison Keillor, for all the joy you've brought me over the long span of time since I first picked up one of your books. It was "Lake Wobegon Days" and I was reading it in the hospital, waiting to hear if it was cancer. It was not, so I've read any and everything else I could get my hands on and have Not been disappointed, not even slightly. Thank you, kind sir from a gentle reader in Sarasota FL.
on August 27, 2015
Garrison Keillor is a prairie humorist from Minnesota. He speaks about the mythical town of Lake Woebegone and the inhabitants where " ... all the children are above average. " For many years he has hosted THE PRAIRIE HOME companion on public radio. He will be retiring this year.

My wife and I find his radio program and his style of humor outrageously funny. I suggest that you tune in to his radio program and listen to it. If you enjoy the show: BUY HIS BOOKS!
on April 27, 2013
Life in a small town. I feel as though Garrison Keillor must have lived here in my small town. His wit and humor and kindness permeate each and every character. There is pathos, irony, heartbreak. I could write the same stories, but I would have to leave town! How do you do that Garrison? It's a gentle read, one that I hated to come to an end. In this crazy, pressure cooker bombed world, it was a comfort. Thank you!
on March 7, 2013
This is an excellent follow-up to Garrison Keillor's Lake Wobegon Days. If possible, it is even more sweet-natured and addictive than its predecessor. Lake Wobegon Days finally became available for Kindle only a short time ago and I devoured it. Having not read it for several years, it was like welcoming an old friend back home. The story is not complete, however, until Leaving Home also becomes available for Kindle. Sooooooo....PLEASE Amazon, Mr. Keillor, and whoever else is involved in the decision-making, PLEASE release this wonderful book in the Kindle format!!
on December 16, 2014
fabulous book. Love Garrison Keillor
on December 23, 2013
Do you ever sit down to read at night and hope that the book will make you feel good, thoughtful, and uplifted? Do you hope that there is hope for mankind? Then this is your book!!! Garrison Keillor is a superb writer full of insight and witticisms. Leaving Home is worth every penny. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I have!
on March 11, 2013
Well, I knew of the Lake from the NPR show. Reading the stories just ain't the same. The stories tend to be 'downers'; a bit depressing, sad, despairing almost. Winding down, end of times, sunset, closing chapters. If you like this, great. If you like a giggle, listen to the show. The fun is in the delivery on NPR... not so much the strory itself.
on September 16, 2016
This was a very enjoyable read. Found the story to be heartfelt .
on December 2, 2016