Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon counterpart counterpart counterpart  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18PP_gno

on October 1, 2011
An abridged audio book is normally six CDs or six hours, or approximately 1/2 of the unabridged book. That is what I expected for each of the three novels in this collection. I had previously listened to six unabridged books by Child, each 11 CDs.

This collection was abridged to 3 CDs or some 70% abridgement of each novel. Too much is taken out. The key element of the primary character is his thought process, excluded due to the extreme editing.

I would recommend only selling either the unabridged version of a six hour version of this series of books.
22 comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 14, 2013
Bought these books just because I saw the movie Reacher. I have read number one, The Killing Floor (excuse me for not underlining the title but I don't know how within this application), and found it to be acceptable. The author is a Britt who has spent much time in the U.S.A. so he does a pretty good job with the vernacular, etc. You must read all the forewords, etc., to get his background for the books and the main character, Jack Reacher, so the books make logical sense according to his history, etc. I have bought the first 8 books and will buy all 17 or so, as is normal for me when I find an author I like.
on April 28, 2008
First off not a fan of abridged books as you lose the depth of what the writer is doing in painting you a mental image. That said this is a great deal for Reacher fans who want a quick listen to three great stories. If you are looking as a first time reader of the Jack Reacher stories, I would recommend the actual books or unabridged versions also available on Amazon. I started with Tripwire and it hooked me. Just be aware not all of Lee Child's Reacher novels fill in the blanks about the character. You have to read several to start getting the full background on him. Very much like the James Bond character, but more graphically violent. We'll see if they ever get the movies made that I have heard are in the works. Hopefully it will be the darker style of the books and not cheese version that Hollywood has done with other action figures. Reacher is a good guy, but he does things his way which aren't always the "proper way" and is what I like about him. Also if you ever wanted to "drop-off the face of the earth" yet still live life your way, then the Jack Reacher stories are for you.
on June 9, 2013
If you are a Jack Reacher fan, you may have been picking up books at airports or bookstores haphazardly. This set is the first three books that started it all. Lee Childs has developed as an author over the past 16 years, but "Jack is Jack" from book 1 onward. Book 3 in the series - Tripwire - was a tad sadistic (a really bad villain) and was probably my least favorite of the dozen or so Reacher stories I've read, but it did fill in some blanks about Jack's background and relationship with his former mentor.
on November 24, 2017
Reacher novels are fun.
on September 28, 2017
Love reacher - reading in order
on June 22, 2013
These books are a great introduction to Lee Child's series featuring Jack Reacher. These are all stand alone novels featuring Reacher in different situations. Reacher is big, tough and very smart. He goes where he doesn't have to go in order to make some horrible bad things come out better. I have all of Lee Child's books and want more.
on August 25, 2013
I am one who doesn't read a lot of fiction and when I do, it needs to move quickly. So, how I missed Jack Reacher novels is beyond me. The opening lines of each novel are enough to yank me in and keep me there. Jack Reacher really is the type of character, as Lee Childs describes him, who says, "Here is who I am. Maybe you'll like me. Maybe not."

The books are fast-paced. I finished them quickly, which is one of my criteria for reading fiction.
on July 21, 2013
I am in the process of reading all of the Jack Reacher stories, well, not reading but listening to. I normally listen to the unabriged story; however, was not paying close attention and got the bridge story. Story was still good, but I would have preferred the whole story. The CD itself was easy to listen too, came in a timely manor, for what I paid still got my monies worth!
on January 14, 2013
For Jack Reacher fans, start building your library with this collection. It is inexpensive and compact. Paperbacks mean you can read in bed without getting a crease in your tummy! I hope Amazon offers more combos like this.
22 comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse