To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Lee Paperback – Abridged, August 1, 1997
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
About the Author
Top Customer Reviews
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this book because Freeman does not glorify Lee, although it is evident that he has a high opinion of Lee. However, Freeman does not disappoint his readers by dwelling on Lee's weak points. He actually does point out his faults, but he does it objectively, and fairly, instead of pouncing on Lee and tearing him apart.
This is the perfect biography of Robert E. Lee to buy if you want to know just why Lee is such a great figure in American history. It is fair, thorough, and very well-written.
Freeman's book is comprehensive and covers the most important events in Lee's illustrious life:
1. Early childhood and humiliation of his father's bankruptcy.
2. Brilliant academic standing at West Point.
3. Brilliant service during the Mexican War that won the admiration of Winfield Scott and others.
4. Stressful family life (experienced many separations from his children and invalid wife).
5. Fateful decision to side with Virginia during the Civil War.
6. Early Civil War service (somewhat indistinguished compared to his later service).
7. Brilliant generalship at 2nd Bull Run, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, and other battles.
8. Going up against US Grant the last two years of the war.
9. Last years at Washington and Lee College.
All in all, a highly recommended read of an excellent general!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Civil War buffs will want to read this biography which chronicles all the major aspects and highlights of the general’s military career, from his stunning accomplishments in the... Read morePublished 19 days ago by LAUNA STOUT- Children'sBooks.BellaOnline
Interesting, clearly written, shows Lee's struggle between being a soldier and being with his family. Have read it twice to help remember the detailsPublished 1 month ago by Charles Boggs
Douglas Southall Freeman's biography is often criticized as being a work of adoration. Yes, it's obvious from this compilation of Freeman's multi-volume study of Lee's life that... Read morePublished 1 month ago by Charles G. Duffy, III
One of the most important bio's on a leading civil war figures by an excellent early 20th Century writers.Published 1 month ago by David Marshall